Wow, look to be in gorgeous condition.  Whats the going rate on them now? Availability?       

Thank You. Condition is top notch on all of them except the stocks have some scratches from use on the Argentine and Venezuelan Low Number.  I got lucky on these bought them one at a time except the Lux Low Number and Venezuelan High Number I bought from the same guy. Paid $750-1,200 a rifle.   

As for Production Numbers

5,537 Argentines in 7.65 Mauser but almost all were converted to 7.62x51.

1,000 Colombians in .30-06

6,000 Lux in .30-06 (5,000 low + 1,000 high)

8,000 Venezuelan in 7mm Mauser (4,000 each low and high)

37,602 Egyptians in 8mm Mauser of which 2,500 were 3 Sling Swivels and 100 were true Snipers. Egypt was the only Sniper not use Oip Scope. They used a Meopta Scope of which 1 is known.

1,500 Egyptian Eagle of Saladin all assembled by Century from leftover FN made Egyptian Receivers and spare parts.

They all pop up monthly except the Colombian and Eagle of Saladin. I would say those are available once every 3 months on average.

I sold a Lux High Number with the wrong stock for $1,800. The most I've seen a non sniper sell for was a Lux Low Number for $2,500.

I hope that info helped with price and availability.

I still need a Lux High Number to complete the available set of rifles. Only real difference is the Lux High Number had a matching numbered stock.

The scopes complete often go for more than the rifles.

The Belgian Scope Complete I got with the Lux I sold. I removed the scope and sold the rifle for what I paid for the scope and rifle. Usually a Belgian Scope Complete today goes for $1,200-1,600. Just the scope $800-1,000.

Last 2 Lux Scopes that sold with the mount, lens cover and leather case, but no base sold for $2,550 each. One a couple months ago and one 2 years ago. Last Lux Scope to sell by itself was $1,200 8 years ago.

Last Original Lux Sniper with Belgian Scope sold for $4,750 a couple weeks ago, but condition was not that good. About a year ago an all original Lux Sniper with Lux Scope sold for $7,500 in excellent condition.

There were 203 Lux Snipers Made and all were imported to the United States. However almost none were imported with the original Lux Scope. Most have Belgian Scopes on them.

110 of the Lux Scopes were converted to use on the Fal. There are only 93 Original Lux Scopes left in the world. I was lucky to get 2 of them.

I am still looking for a Lux AL Marked Bayonet.

Got the Colombian Bayonet.

The rest of the rifles made are basically unattainable. They are Congo, Brazil, Indonesia, and Belgium all in .30-06 and Original 7.65 Mauser Argentine with Non detachable mag. The Belgians pop up occasionally but most with the crest scrubbed. An Indonesian sold last month for $2,500, but was non matching with a cracked stock and Egyptian Parts. Indonesia does have 6,000 in storage so there is hope. Congo and Brazil are rarely seen, but maybe in military storage in their home country or they may have been destroyed. Original 7.65 Argentine there maybe a couple left. There supposedly is one in a museum in Argentina.

Pics posted at bottom of Belgium I added, without the crest, but matching and below market value.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Thank You. Condition is top notch on all of them except the stocks have some scratches from use on the Argentine and Venezuelan Low Number.  I got lucky on these bought them one at a time except the Lux Low Number and Venezuelan High Number I bought from the same guy. Paid $750-1,200 a rifle.  

As for Production Numbers

5,537 Argentines in 7.65 Mauser but almost all were converted to 7.62x51.

1,000 Colombians in .30-06

6,000 Lux in .30-06 (5,000 low + 1,000 high)

8,000 Venezuelan in 7mm Mauser (4,000 each low and high)

37,602 Egyptians in 8mm Mauser of which 2,500 were 3 Sling Swivels and 100 were true Snipers. Egypt was the only Sniper not use Oip Scope. They used a Meopta Scope of which 1 is known.

1,500 Egyptian Eagle of Saladin all assembled by Century from leftover FN made Egyptian Receivers and spare parts.

They all pop up monthly except the Colombian and Eagle of Saladin. I would say those are available once every 3 months on average.

I sold a Lux High Number with the wrong stock for $1,800. The most I've seen a non sniper sell for was a Lux Low Number for $2,500.

I hope that info helped with price and availability.

I still need a Lux High Number to complete the available set of rifles. Only real difference is the Lux High Number had a matching numbered stock.

The scopes complete often go for more than the rifles.

The Belgian Scope Complete I got with the Lux I sold. I removed the scope and sold the rifle for what I paid for the scope and rifle. Usually a Belgian Scope Complete today goes for $1,200-1,600. Just the scope $800-1,000.

Last 2 Lux Scopes that sold with the mount, lens cover and leather case, but no base sold for $2,550 each. One a couple months ago and one 2 years ago. Last Lux Scope to sell by itself was $1,200 8 years ago.

Last Original Lux Sniper with Belgian Scope sold for $4,750 a couple weeks ago, but condition was not that good. About a year ago an all original Lux Sniper with Lux Scope sold for $7,500 in excellent condition.

There were 203 Lux Snipers Made and all were imported to the United States. However almost none were imported with the original Lux Scope. Most have Belgian Scopes on them.

110 of the Lux Scopes were converted to use on the Fal. There are only 93 Original Lux Scopes left in the world. I was lucky to get 2 of them.

I am still looking for a Lux AL Marked Bayonet and Colombian Bayonet.

The rest of the rifles made are basically unattainable. They are Congo, Brazil, Indonesia, and Belgium all in .30-06 and Original 7.65 Mauser Argentine with Non detachable mag. The Belgians pop up occasionally but most with the crest scrubbed. An Indonesian sold last month for $2,500, but was non matching with a cracked stock and Egyptian Parts. Indonesia does have 6,000 in storage so there is hope. Congo and Brazil are rarely seen, but maybe in military storage in their home country or they may have been destroyed. Original 7.65 Argentine there maybe a couple left. There supposedly is one in a museum in Argentina.

Now I got to ask.... how the heck are you typing up those longs posts.... on a mobile device? Please tell me it is at least a tablet. =)

Very interesting rifles.  Reading about them as a kid I liked how it looked.  A friend in Wyoming had one in 30-06 back in the 70s.  It was in excellent shape. It was a sweet shooter.

Development of the rifle started in the 30s but was stalled by WW2.  FN put it in production in 1949 anticipating sales with the formation of NATO.  It didn't take off as there was a glut of WW2 rifles around.  The US was very willing to loan or give M1s to NATO countries.  Italy had been manufacturing M1s for a few years already.  I'm guessing Italian M1s were cheap (in price) compared to the FN49.  They had zero development costs.  I've read the Italians were given the M1 tooling that had been used by Winchester in WW2.  This resulted in zero setup costs.

FN wound up with limited sales for a very fine rifle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Very interesting rifles.  Reading about them as a kid I liked how it looked.  A friend in Wyoming had one in 30-06 back in the 70s.  It was in excellent shape. It was a sweet shooter.

Development of the rifle started in the 30s but was stalled by WW2.  FN put it in production in 1949 anticipating sales with the formation of NATO.  It didn't take off as there was a glut of WW2 rifles around.  The US was very willing to loan or give M1s to NATO countries.  Italy had been manufacturing M1s for a few years already.  I'm guessing Italian M1s were cheap (in price) compared to the FN49.  They had zero development costs.  I've read the Italians were given the M1 tooling that had been used by Winchester in WW2.  This resulted in zero setup costs.

FN wound up with limited sales for a very fine rifle.

The Winchester tools were garbage by the time Italy got them. They manufactured new tools and made some of the finest M1s! Breda & BMB both made them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1563621 said:

The Winchester tools were garbage by the time Italy got them. They manufactured new tools and made some of the finest M1s! Breda & BMB both made them.

I knew they got the Winchester tools but didn't know they were trashed by that time.

I have a Danish Garand with many Beretta parts.  I picked it out at the North Store.  It has a VAR barrel.  It's my best shooting M1.

• Like 1

Beautiful rifles!!! I would love to get an entry level one for my collection...possibly an Egyptian. Any idea where I should look in NJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NJ no but there are a few on gunbroker right now. Real nice Vene for $899 with one bid.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 6:01 PM, jwswartout said:

I'm hesitant with gunbroker, rather see it in person before buying

Agree that FTF gives certainty of what you are buying, however it won't be easy to stumble upon a FN49 in a shop these days. Gunboards are your best bet - and gunbroker is not too bad if you ask the right questions ands get the seller to send you pics. Stay away from Armslist unless is a local FTF transaction....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capt14k said:
Very nice. First contract Vene? Is stock disc in the Egyptian the Bren Disc?

Yes Vennie is first contract - no cartouche on stock. Regimental disc on the Egyptian , I will look closer at it when I am back home tomorrow.

Very nice. First contract Vene? Is stock disc in the Egyptian the Bren Disc?

Interestingly the brass disc has the inscription ‘Egyptian Army’ in arabic but also other arabic signs/numbers. I do not know how the Bren disc looks like but I believe only the inscription was on the disc of FN49s. The buttplate looks original. As expected for an early contract (if my translation from arabic is not wrong serial number is 1387) there is no scope rail left of the receiver. Anybody who had better info please let me know....
5dec4847657de23abb8c3e9e54e86aee.jpg
1732c0e2a3e626e0581a05c9f49c9fc3.jpg
71a6e173d3e1b7175d874c8565a7d7d3.jpg
7d12697356dcb647ece2863e87c0591e.jpg

Yes that is the Bren Disc. Are the other parts matching barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, and Receiver cover? I don't believe the stock should be numbered on the earlier ones. There isn't a regular serial number too on the other side of the Receiver correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that is the Bren Disc. Are the other parts matching barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, and Receiver cover? I don't believe the stock should be numbered on the earlier ones. There isn't a regular serial number too on the other side of the Receiver correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes all parts are matching, and no serial on the other side. I guess they started to out it there when installing the scope rail. Stock is not numbered. I must admit I did not realize brass disc was not original - but at least the screw looks like the original one! I haven’t shot it yet , I am a bit nervous because of lack of pin safety on these.

Yes all parts are matching, and no serial on the other side. I guess they started to out it there when installing the scope rail. Stock is not numbered. I must admit I did not realize brass disc was not original - but at least the screw looks like the original one! I haven’t shot it yet , I am a bit nervous because of lack of pin safety on these.

The Egyptians are a little scarier. It also sounds like an original Egyptian not a Century Build. My Eagle of Saladin Faux Sniper I at first thought was a Century Build but I think it maybe custom. Everything is too nice for Century and it has both the 2 piece firing pin and firing pin safety stop. You can do the same with your Egyptian when firing it. Could keep your rifle in one piece. Get the 2 piece firing pin and make sure it is fitted properly and get a .30-06 bolt with FPSS.

The Egyptians are a little scarier. It also sounds like an original Egyptian not a Century Build. My Eagle of Saladin Faux Sniper I at first thought was a Century Build but I think it maybe custom. Everything is too nice for Century and it has both the 2 piece firing pin and firing pin safety stop. You can do the same with your Egyptian when firing it. Could keep your rifle in one piece. Get the 2 piece firing pin and make sure it is fitted properly and get a .30-06 bolt with FPSS.

I see Sarco has the 30.06 bolt in stock and I will get one. I must check if the carrier has the slot for FPSS - if I recall well it does. Rifle came already with a two-piece FP. The question is head spacing - who could check it and where to find locking shoulders if it does not....

An old Army buddy just gave me an FN-49 Egyptian. I've only had it a few weeks. So far I have discovered the stock and upper hand guards are made out of beach then stained to look like walnut. That means it is one of the ones Century Arms brought in about 25-30 years ago. The metal all looks great, but I have not had the time to break it all down and clean it up, check serial numbers and such. Probably in the next week or so. I've been trying to replace the furniture with a real walnut, but can't seem to find any leads at all. So far it seems to be one sweet rifle. I packed an M-1 Garand my first year in the Army back in 1960, then we were issued the M-14s. (Ft. Campbell, KY. 101st)The trouble with the M-1 was it had to be kept spotless or it would jam. They have overcome that problem with the FN-49, at least according to the manual that came a few days ago; they claim it is dirt and dust proof. I believe it is. Anyway, it’s fun learning about it; hope to shoot it sometime in the next few months.

I have an absolutely beautiful Columbian FN49, ;)

I actually meant to ask, what 30-06 ammo is best to shoot from it? Not that I plan to shoot it much, but I'd like to give it at least a try some day, but I don't know if they're like Garands, and have issues with certain ammo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have an absolutely beautiful Columbian FN49, [emoji6]

I actually meant to ask, what 30-06 ammo is best to shoot from it? Not that I plan to shoot it much, but I'd like to give it at least a try some day, but I don't know if they're like Garands, and have issues with certain ammo.

They are even more picky than Garands. I had no problem with HXP M2 ammo, but you must dial in the gas setting. Start with the lowest. If you run it full open expect at a minimum to lose a stock.

They are even more picky than Garands. I had no problem with HXP M2 ammo, but you must dial in the gas setting. Start with the lowest. If you run it full open expect at a minimum to lose a stock.

Figured I'd ask before I ever take it out. Still beautiful to look at, great piece for the collection. Thanks again for it!

Figured I'd ask before I ever take it out. Still beautiful to look at, great piece for the collection. Thanks again for it!

No problem. Once dialed in I like them more than the Garand. I always dial in it each time out and with each change of ammo even if the years of HXP are different.