capt14k

Weapon Hunter and Sarco

Did anyone happen to catch Season 2 Episode 3 titled Pearl Harbor where they were rebuilding a Oerlikon 20mm AA Cannon? An interesting part of the episode was they went to Sarco to find a firing pin. Which they not only had the firing pin, but multiple Oerlikon Receivers. It also was mentioned that they had 67,000 Garand Stocks. If anyone needs one Sarco is right across the River. I was wondering what else they have that isn't listed on their site. Has anyone else called them to ask them to look for something in particular and had any luck?

If anyone hasn't seen The Weapon Hunter it is a fantastic show on Smithsonian channel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Did anyone happen to catch Season 2 Episode 3 titled Pearl Harbor where they were rebuilding a Oerlikon 20mm AA Cannon? An interesting part of the episode was they went to Sarco to find a firing pin. Which they not only had the firing pin, but multiple Oerlikon Receivers. It also was mentioned that they had 67,000 Garand Stocks. If anyone needs one Sarco is right across the River. I was wondering what else they have that isn't listed on their site. Has anyone else called them to ask them to look for something in particular and had any luck?

If anyone hasn't seen The Weapon Hunter it is a fantastic show on Smithsonian channel.

I saw that show.

Saco and Numrich are two companies that have tons of stuff not cataloged. I've known people who have given both a call for a part for an obscure gun and they had it. 

I saw that show.
Saco and Numrich are two companies that have tons of stuff not cataloged. I've known people who have given both a call for a part for an obscure gun and they had it. 

Thank You Griz. I've bought from both, but figured in today's day and age they would have everything computerized til I saw that episode and now you have confirmed it. Springfield Sporters is another one I will give a call to. Looking for an original Echo (E.C. Herkner Co.) base and mount for FN-49. I have two bases and 3 mounts, but with the new Luxembourg Oip AL marked Scopes I have 4 scopes.

Also I know Sarco used to sell FN-49 Wooden Sniper boxes for $50 up until 3 years ago. Maybe they still have some hidden or one of the others do. The box isn't a necessity but it is a neat item to add to the collection. I have one wooden scope box but I wouldn't mind adding 3 more of them as well.

Sarco is well.... Sarco.

Their NJ location was just a whole bunch of stuff laying around and they did have a few legal issues. lol.

You would figure stuff would be computerized, but just think....after decades.... how much "stuff" just accumulates. 

• Like 2

Sarco puts ads in Firearms News (was Shotgun News) saying "just found in the warehouse", this normally not a gimmick. Charlie has been buying gun parts since the early 60's and often bought gun parts by the ton in pallet crates that were being sold as scrap. They don't know everything they have in inventory, so they often do find new things in the warehouse. If you're looking for something, best bet is to call and try to talk to someone in the warehouse - if you can get them on the phone, this was easier when everything was in NJ, I think all the order takers are in PA now while the main warehouse is still in Sterling.

I must say.... watched a few episodes of season 1 and surely want to go shoot my C&R guns. lol.

As far as the show, while the production value is good, the content and quality.... specifically the host... is horrible.  Also, lots of factual errors.

Show would of been far better if they just let the collectors talk and host the show.

The only value in the show is seeing the collections some of those guys have. Wow.

I must say.... watched a few episodes of season 1 and surely want to go shoot my C&R guns. lol. As far as the show, while the production value is good, the content and quality.... specifically the host... is horrible.  Also, lots of factual errors.

Show would of been far better if they just let the collectors talk and host the show.

The only value in the show is seeing the collections some of those guys have. Wow.

I agree the host is terrible. However seeing the collections and seeing the old war dogs put back in working order makes up for him. Also some episodes are better than others. I enjoyed the Sniper Rifle and Flamethrower from Season 1 and the Oerlikon from Season 2. Overall the reaction from most is positive. Give it some more episodes.

39 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I agree the host is terrible. However seeing the collections and seeing the old war dogs put back in working order makes up for him. Also some episodes are better than others. I enjoyed the Sniper Rifle and Flamethrower from Season 1 and the Oerlikon from Season 2. Overall the reaction from most is positive. Give it some more episodes.

Blah the sniper episode was horrible. 

He completely dismisses the SVT40 after a first round hit but failure due to ammo? BS.... 

and he travels from Canada to California to borrow a "super rare" reproduction scope and mount? How about eBay. Lol. 

Also the retelling of story of Stalingrad, Zaitsev did not use SVT40 sniper, he used Mosin 91/30 Sniper. 

Blah the sniper episode was horrible.  He completely dismisses the SVT40 after a first round hit but failure due to ammo? BS....  and he travels from Canada to California to borrow a "super rare" reproduction scope and mount? How about eBay. Lol.  Also the retelling of story of Stalingrad, Zaitsev did not use SVT40 sniper, he used Mosin 91/30 Sniper.  

SVT-40 is garbage compared to the others, but I do agree it was odd to quit so quickly. I own one SVT-40 still, but I used to own a few. Finn Captured of course. Yes the reproduction part was rather cheesy. I have an original Scope and repro mount. Wasn't hard to find. Finding a legit original SVT-40 Sniper that isn't easy. Mine is not a Sniper but the mount fits so tight the notch isn't needed. I enjoyed seeing all the SVT's in Canada. I didn't catch them saying Zaitsev used a SVT-40. I forgot about my favorite episode from Season one the FG-42.  

Zaitsev using a SVT-40 is not totally inaccurate he did use it once. Here is his load out.

"Zaitsev repeated it several times (3 for 3 600yd shots) with his 4X PEM and a rifle said to have been his new 1942 91/30 Izhevsk sniper as seen in his Stalingrad pictures. He lost that PEM rifle when wounded and temporarily blinded by an explosion near the end of the Battle for Stalingrad and was issued a PU (which is in the Stalingrad Museum with a silver plate of the stock) and he fought with that 3.5X PU nearly to Berlin, including the relief of Odessa, when he was badly wounded again. He mentions having used an SVT-40 on one occasion, praising the firepower, but didn't use it normally. He also regularly carried a PPSh-41 and Tokarev pistol plus Mills Bomb hand grenades at Stalingrad, complaining about dragging it all along into his sniper hides."

10 minutes ago, capt14k said:

SVT-40 is garbage compared to the others, but I do agree it was odd to quit so quickly. I own one SVT-40 still, but I used to own a few. Finn Captured of course. Yes the reproduction part was rather cheesy. I have an original Scope and repro mount. Wasn't hard to find. Finding a legit original SVT-40 Sniper that isn't easy. Mine is not a Sniper but the mount fits so tight the notch isn't needed. I enjoyed seeing all the SVT's in Canada. I didn't catch them saying Zaitsev used a SVT-40. I forgot about my favorite episode from Season one the FG-42.

And why did they not feature the 91/30 Sniper. 

SVT40 was sooooo bad that it was the choice capture weapon for Germans and Fins. :) 

SVT40 was also the first semi auto to use a gas system, before any German or allied gun. 

A good condition SVT40 is a superb gun. Love mine.

And yes, in Canada soviet C&R are extremely common with a ton of imports. Russian SKS are now still $250 to $300 in Canada, in Loonies. 

Would love me a crate of SVTs. 

And why did they not feature the 91/30 Sniper.  SVT40 was sooooo bad that it was the choice capture weapon for Germans and Fins. [emoji4]  SVT40 was also the first semi auto to use a gas system, before any German or allied gun.  A good condition SVT40 is a superb gun. Love mine. And yes, in Canada soviet C&R are extremely common with a ton of imports. Russian SKS are now still $250 to $300 in Canada, in Loonies. 

Would love me a crate of SVTs. 

It was a choice capture weapon for the Finns as a trophy just like the SVT bayonets. The SVT-40 did not meet the Finnish standards for accuracy. Thus why they didn't waste much time with them. They did fix small parts on them. They also looked into upgrading them to Finnish standards, but determined it would be cheaper and more efficient to build a semi auto battle rifle from scratch. Which in fact they did build a prototype based on the SVT-40. However after the war they decided against the SVT Prototype and put the rests of the captured SVT's into storage. Instead they decided to go with the AK Platform. Most of the Finnish SVT's were surplused 1959-61.

I don't know much about German use of the SVT-40 but I could see why they would want one when compared to the G41 and even the G43.

I agree the PU Sniper should have been part of the competition.

I like the look of the SVT-40, but I am not crazy about the reliability or accuracy. The SVT-38 was even worse but I still plan on buying a Finn Capture SVT-38 one day. The Garand was definitely the better battle rifle.