NJ lists

" Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms" as a specific banned weapon"

The "Steyr USR" is basically the same gun with just a model name change and is NJ Legal. As is the soon to be released "Steyr STG77" their 40th Aniversary Edition AUG style rifle.

I recently read that California had banned the

(make) Styer-Mannlicher (model)AUG/SA"

However these versions are allowed in CA

(make) Steyr-Mannlicher (model) USR

(make) Steyr Arms (model) AUG/A3 SA USA

Is there any way to get the current production (model)Steyr AUG A3 M1 to be interpreted as not being banned? Is is just a matter of convincing an NJ FFL to legally transfer my a rifle or would a letter from the Attorney General be required?

The current "AUG" manufacture and model name are different. Plus the actual receiver although backwards compatible is not the same. Significant changes like NATO versions requiring different magazines , Bolt hold open and release controls added, Firing Pack changes, etc

The Colt AR-15 is Banned but somehow now all kinds a Colt Model AR's are now NJ legal.

How are AK rifles allowed? I know the MAK-90 has an AG letter but what about the rest?

Some of the NJ banned weapons are worded as "xxxxx Type" such as FN-FAL Type". I think the legislative intent was for weapons listed as a "type" to continue to be banned regardless of future changes. Luckily the Steyr AUG is not listed as a Type, this should help get it A3 M1 version legalized?

Everyone says if it has the words AUG in the model name it is a non-starter but I'm not sure why that is the case.

Very confusing how similar type rifles as banned by name get somehow legalized?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If colt created an Ar-15 A3 M1 it would still be banned by the colt ar-15 name and manufacture in NJ

Type was used since more then one manufacture might have produced the firearm

IWI produces a new Galil but added SAR or something to the model and it's still banned

An who decides what is banned and what is significantly different enough to be allowed?

For example... with the new Steyr STG77 I showed the Pictures of the receiver to my FFL and he said he would transfer it to me... Does that mean it is Jersey Legal? I would assume I am covered legally???

14 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

An who decides what is banned and what is significantly different enough to be allowed?

For example... with the new Steyr STG77 I showed the Pictures of the receiver to my FFL and he said he would transfer it to me... Does that mean it is Jersey Legal? I would assume I am covered legally???

a dealer in NJ transferring a firearm does not cover u if he transferred an illegal firearm. U can only assume the dealer knows what he is transferring is legal 

a dealer in NJ transferring a firearm does not cover u if he transferred an illegal firearm. U can only assume the dealer knows what he is transferring is legal 

Exactly, but how is an average Joe supposed to know what new versions of a named banned gun is legal other then to trust the FFL who transfers it to us. There is no published list like in CA and the rules are not cut and dry to be able to figure it out...

The vast majority of dealers are responsible business people and would not want to risk a possible issue with the NJsp. But as with any purchase or transfer buyer beware. This is why we have a forum to discuss things just like this. When I am on the fence about something I ask.

5 hours ago, Jfoster99 said:

Exactly, but how is an average Joe supposed to know what new versions of a named banned gun is legal other then to trust the FFL who transfers it to us. There is no published list like in CA and the rules are not cut and dry to be able to figure it out...

How do you know driving laws? If you decide you are going to get a drivers license you learn the law of the land right? guns are no different.. if you decide to be a gun owner.. you should investigate the law as it is literally written.. it is out there for review.. what a dealer would transfer is certainly a good feeler, but not the end all as there have been instances where dealers have had to recall guns back from individuals that ended up being illegal according to NJ gov.. your best bet.. as much as it sucks.. is to err on the side of caution.. and stay away from things that are a gray area.. its always risk VS reward right.. is the risk of having this gun and possibly having to defend yourself.. worth the reward of enjoying it.. 

• Like 2

While the Aug was a no go, STG when it as avail was sold by quite a few folks here.

Interesting I did not realize the Original STG77's were available in the US. Below is an image showing the Stock was marked STG77 (Not AUG).

I could not find a picture of the how the original STG77 receiver was marked.9be2f24e5f7fe8387bf53daae46e1f96.jpeg

The Steyr USR stock is marked simply "USR" and the receiver has no model number. Just the letters USR in the Serial Number. d14854b2cc248c408ae7d025234ac7c2.png6a4102b63504369605b744f9f9836773.jpegc111834b4f00885222f8897fcd4097ea.png

My FFL has confirmed they are willing to transfer the new STG77 40th Anniversary. However, I do not like that the Stock says AUG/SA even though the receiver is clearly only marked STG77. The new STG77 has actual design changes when compared to an AUG A1/A2. Plus the gun is clearly being marketed as the STG77.

Some questions:

Would putting the a stock marked AUG/SA onto a legally transferred Steyr USR make it illegal?

Is the New STG77 Anniversary edition Illegal because the removable stock has AUG/SA on it even though the model STG77 is clearly marked on the receiver? If yes, would putting an original STG77 stock on change the status to legal?

I'm not sure if there are definitive answers to these questions but just thought I would shared some of the inconsistencies I'm dealing with now that I have decided to go down the NJ Steyr AUG rabbit hole.

36913bff85b768c3313b0618f6e9448d.jpeg

0500a972daaef736e9d98965b3241f5f.jpg

3 hours ago, Jfoster99 said:

My FFL has confirmed they are willing to transfer the new STG77 40th Anniversary. However, I do not like that the Stock says AUG/SA even though the receiver is clearly only marked STG77. The new STG77 has actual design changes when compared to an AUG A1/A2. Plus the gun is clearly being marketed as the STG77.

Some questions:

Would putting the a stock marked AUG/SA onto a legally transferred Steyr USR make it illegal?

Is the New STG77 Anniversary edition Illegal because the removable stock has AUG/SA on it even though the model STG77 is clearly marked on the receiver? If yes, would putting an original STG77 stock on change the status to legal?

I'm not sure if there are definitive answers to these questions but just thought I would shared some of the inconsistencies I'm dealing with now that I have decided to go down the NJ Steyr AUG rabbit hole.

36913bff85b768c3313b0618f6e9448d.jpeg

0500a972daaef736e9d98965b3241f5f.jpg

We don't care what the stock says. It's the model on the receiver that is used 

i can put a stock on my Ar that says colt Ar-15, it does not make it so :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vladtepes said:

How do you know driving laws? If you decide you are going to get a drivers license you learn the law of the land right? guns are no different.. if you decide to be a gun owner.. you should investigate the law as it is literally written.. it is out there for review.. what a dealer would transfer is certainly a good feeler, but not the end all as there have been instances where dealers have had to recall guns back from individuals that ended up being illegal according to NJ gov.. your best bet.. as much as it sucks.. is to err on the side of caution.. and stay away from things that are a gray area.. its always risk VS reward right.. is the risk of having this gun and possibly having to defend yourself.. worth the reward of enjoying it.. 

Anytime i question something's legality i usually contact other dealers who i am friends with.. then on top of that i contact the NJSP. I will usually get an answer via email in a day or so.