Earthworm

Max number of attachments?

Are there any limitations on the number of attachments/combinations for accessories on a rifle in NJ?  I want to put an angled fore grip, optics and maybe a laser on my gun.  The only limitations I read in the law seems to be for handguns,  but a friend had made a comment making me thing there was something about rifle attachments as well.  

but a friend had made a comment making me thing there was something about rifle attachments as well.  

You need new friends. We, the dysfunctional gun custodians of NJ, are famous for inventing, conjuring and otherwise expanding the meaning of these unconstitutional laws and regs.

Hyper-compliance doesn't make you safe from our betters. Neither do other gun custodians that make up shit to show they comply MORE than everyone else.

It's sad really. Abused are we, to the point that we lick the hand that slaps us.

NJ gun laws are complicated, I don't want to get jammed up, my friend said if you're caught with hollow points ... blah blah blah.

Have a gun in NJ at your peril. The laws are written so that a daisy Red Ryder BB gun I can buy in a NY state hardware store literally a mile from my house can land you in jail. So custodians we are, because you don't own what can be taken from you on a whim. Like our freedom.

Like I said before, if these types of laws keep you up at night, gun ownership in NJ probably isn't for you. If not, go get that keymod tactical espresso maker and hang it off your neutered AR and have at it.

5cad4151a9455f6fe7d4f270ba385a2b.jpg

I'm not attacking you, sir, cynical as I am. But a quick search could have given you an answer. Failing that, you could call the NJSP and ask them...//kidding//

Taking a blasé security attitude by using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, their are limitations on the number of attachments.  You are allowed a light, optic and vertical/angled foregrip.  Anything else is unnecessary, added weight and totally useless.

Sling is mandatory before optic and arguably before light.

The mission drives the gear train:

Folding BUIS

DBAL/ATPIAL/MAWL

Bipod

Hand stop

Barricade grabber

Magnified scope W/ 45* RDS or Irons

Scope Bubble

Rangefinder

Clip-on NOD

Tripod mount

Camera mount

and many more

are all acceptable if you need them to accomplish the task at hand.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Sling is mandatory before optic and arguably before light.

The mission drives the gear train:

Folding BUIS

DBAL/ATPIAL/MAWL

Bipod

Hand stop

Barricade grabber

Magnified scope W/ 45* RDS or Irons

Scope Bubble

Rangefinder

Clip-on NOD

Tripod mount

Camera mount

and many more

are all acceptable if you need them to accomplish the task at hand.

I go to buy a DBAL every now and then.. fortunately they are too expensive to make a useless impulse buy... 

I do have a laserlyte or something like that green laser.. it was like $200 or something.. I play with my cat with it.. he likes it.. 

If you don't have NODs you don't need anything with an IR laser or IR illuminator. That would be a silly waste of money.

But, if you have NODs, a mission that requires them, and are expecting to use them to their fullest potential, you need IR capabilities.

The point is - just because Ray Ray thinks anything other than what he wants is useless, doesn't make it true.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

If you don't have NODs you don't need anything with an IR laser it IR illuminator. That would be a silly waste of money.

But, if you have NODs, a mission that requires them, and are expecting to use them to their fullest potential, you need IR capabilities.

The point is - just because Ray Ray thinks anything other than what he wants is useless, doesnt make it true.

If I could afford NV I would have it.. but that money is ridiculous.. somehow it doesn't stop me from paying a little extra for optics that are NV capable.. you know.. just in case one day.. LOL 

• Like 1

@High Exposure and @vladtepes, I hope you guys are kidding.  A sling, okay.  But NV's and DBAL's and all the other crap you mentioned are fluff.  

Let's be serious for one minute, can we?  We are not kicking in doors in crack houses, we are not doing raids in Mogadishu, we are not shooting at zombies/looters during a societal breakdown.  Stop it, it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Not to mention that it would be heavy as fuck. Grab 6 mags and your rifle and run a mile...uphill. 

Then decide what you want to hang off it. 

Get a red dot and buy a treadmill. Done. 

Bingo

6 minutes ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Not to mention that it would be heavy as fuck. Grab 6 mags and your rifle and run a mile...uphill. 

Or grow stronger 

Jesus Christ. :facepalm:

Everything I listed above can be considered VITAL to a shooter who needs it on their rifle to accomplish their task. Does everyone need all of that gear? No, of course not. But "Light, Optic, and Vert Grip" is not the end all be all of rifle accessories especially when a sling should be the first thing you add to any long gun intended for social purposes.

For crying out loud a DBAL weighs ~8 oz, not 8 lbs. It is not a kettlebell on the end of your rifle.

I have NODs, I know how to use them. I have a DBAL I know how to use that. It makes me more effective and more capable. How does 8oz on my rifle break me? It doesn't.

As I stated above, the mission drives the gear train.

A more capable weapon system designed around the parameters of a stated task and in the hands of someone that knows how to run it, is always a more better weapon system. Even if it adds a few ounces to your weapon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Running up the hill is only half the equation. After you run up that hill, attempt to accomplish a specific task, and then see what you can live without.

Run up the hill in the dark then correctly engage a series of shoot/no shoot targets without giving away your position prior to shooting. See if that 8oz is worth it.

Run up that hill then engage a series of targets from 100 to 1000 yards on an unknown distance range and see what you can hit with one shot per target. See if you want to ditch that range finder and bipod.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Jesus Christ. :facepalm:

Everything I listed above can be considered VITAL to a shooter who needs it on their rifle to accomplish their task. Does everyone need all of that gear? No, of course not. But "Light, Optic, and Vert Grip" is not the end all be all of rifle accessories especially when a sling should be the first thing you add to any long gun intended for social purposes.

For crying out loud a DBAL weighs ~8 oz, not 8 lbs. It is not a kettlebell on the end of your rifle.

I have NODs, I know how to use them. I have a DBAL I know how to use that. It makes me more effective and more capable. How does 8oz on my rifle break me? It doesn't.

As I stated above, the mission drives the gear train.

A more capable weapon system designed around the parameters of a stated task and in the hands of someone that knows how to run it, is always a more better weapon system. Even if it adds a few ounces to your weapon.

HE,

not being combative, but look at the bolded words above. 

You're making a whole lot of assumptions about the OP, and I may be as well. But I'm pretty sure a seasoned Delta Operator wouldn't be asking this question on this forum. 

Just sayin...

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Running up the hill is only half the equation. After you run up that hill, attempt to accomplish a specific task, and then see what you can live without.

Run up the hill in the dark then correctly engage a series of shoot/no shoot targets without giving away your position prior to shooting. See if that 8oz is worth it.

Run up that hill then engage a series of targets from 100 to 1000 yards on an unknown distance range and see what you can hit with one shot per target. See if you want to ditch that range finder and bipod.

Again, not being combative. But do you really think the scenario you describe above would be best served by a couple of thousand bucks of night vision gear or spending half that amount on some training? 

The most important part of your weapon system is between your ears. No? 

Im also pretty sure the op isn't visualizing a vacation in Kabul. 

I maybe wrong, frequently am. 

Agree 100000% Walt and no hard feelings as all brother. Hell, if you look through my old posts, you will see that I generally recommend "Sling, light, and optic" as adequate for 99% of what you need a rifle to do.

My main point of contention was Ray's earlier statement:

On 5/29/2017 at 9:27 PM, Ray Ray said:

Yes, their are limitations on the number of attachments.  You are allowed a light, optic and vertical/angled foregrip.  Anything else is unnecessary, added weight and totally useless.

In addition to answering a new shooters honest question completely false, and the fact that his opinion is being based solely on what he thinks everyone should have, these kind of blanket statements just suck.

Ray doesn't know the OPs intended use either. Maybe a laser or a bipod are appropriate for him. Maybe he just wants them?

He didn't ask for opinions on what he should have, he asked if he's allowed to have more. The answer to his question is "No, there is  no maximum number of accessories/attachments, you can have more than a light, optic, and grip"

The point of my second post is that we don't outfit our guns in a vacuum. There are reasons for, and against, certain equipment. SD/HD, competition, EOTW, education/training, etc... Some equipment is indicated and some isn't based on what we want our guns to do for us.

Maybe his goal is to take a long range night fighter type course, or maybe a shoothouse class? Maybe it's a SHTF gun or a simple HD weapon? 

In any event, the answer remains, you can add as many accessories on your rifle as you would like.

And yes, training is great. But sometimes you need certain equipment to complete certain tasks. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

@High Exposure and @vladtepes, I hope you guys are kidding.  A sling, okay.  But NV's and DBAL's and all the other crap you mentioned are fluff.  

Let's be serious for one minute, can we?  We are not kicking in doors in crack houses, we are not doing raids in Mogadishu, we are not shooting at zombies/looters during a societal breakdown.  Stop it, it's ridiculous.

My second point of contention is the above statement. It's not fluff for me - it is mission essential equipment. He may not need it on his rifle, but why is he telling me that my choices, based on my desired task, are rediculous?

PS: I still love you Ray 

Edited by High Exposure

4 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

My second point of contention is the above statement. It's not fluff for me - it is mission essential equipment. He may not need it on his rifle, but why is he telling me that my choices, based on my desired task, are rediculous?

You are a cop, you fall under the "crack house" part of my post.  The rest of us, that fluff is useless.

Unless you want to take a low light class just because 'Merica!

Or you want to hunt Hog or Coyote at night somewhere that activity is legal.

Or you are prior service military and you want to keep your skills up.

Or you have a hundred other legitimate uses for wanting and acquiring NODS and a DBAL.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, Earthworm said:

Are there any limitations on the number of attachments/combinations for accessories on a rifle in NJ?  I want to put an angled fore grip, optics and maybe a laser on my gun.  The only limitations I read in the law seems to be for handguns,  but a friend had made a comment making me thing there was something about rifle attachments as well.  

No.

But tassels are not recommended.

Unless the tassels are approved tactical by the above.^^^^^

when I go to the range.. I RUN and shoot.. I do this with full chest rig.. FULL of ammo.. and occasionally even body armor.. you know.. just for fun.. and I am not exactly lazy.. just recently I did a 5k night time trail run.. 3 mile run through the woods.. streams.. up and down inclines... so lugging around a carbine is not exactly difficult.. 

we are talking about carbines here.. carbines that are intentionally (in my case at least) built pretty lightweight from the start.. so a dbal is not going to be the breaking point.. 

when I talk about NV or dbal.. I am not kidding.. even a little.. I find it ironic.. sometimes people look at my guns.. and see $600 optics.. $300 flashlights.. and they think excessive.. I ask you to consider this.. think about the people on this forum that collect guns.. like own a lot of them... thousands of dollars in guns.. some just sitting in the safe.. I on the other hand have 7 guns total.. thats it.. now I have a lot of money in each of them.. my goal is not to have a large quantity of guns.. my goal is to have a series of extremely specialized guns.. to the point that if I need a part and it doesn't exist I will make it.. I want those guns to work exactly how I want them to work.. to be capable of doing as much as possible.. so yes.. if I could afford NV.. I would absolutely have IR.. 

• Like 1

the real problem with lasers is simple.. visible lasers accomplish littler that a red dot can't, with the exception of shooting from an extremely compromised position where you can't really get behind the gun.. and on top of that lasers purchased for the cool factor are typically cheap.. and lack the quality of something like a DBAL.. if you are going in.. go all in and get something good.. but be ready to pay $600+ for a used unit.. even more if you want green.. then you are close to a grand..