Earthworm

Max number of attachments?

3 hours ago, Shane45 said:

What do you need a light for, you only shoot in the daytime on a one way range. You don't need a light!

It gets dark in my house. 

5 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

K.I.S.S.

Optic and light

The KISS principle is sound but it has to be applied relative to the task at hand. I.e.: You outfit the rifle for your intended purposes. This is an individual process and is accomplished by the end user making decisions on what is and is not necessary to accomplish the tasks, weighing necessity over convenience when compared to training and complexity. Most times, when people say KISS what they are really saying is that they purposefully want a less capable tool for no other reason than simplicity - even if the equipment they are shedding would make their job easier, safer, faster, or more winning-er. 

For example:

If I was a National Match shooter I may want good irons and an appropriate sling. Maybe weighted hand guards and stock, bull barrel, etc...

If I was shooting 3 gun match I'd probably want a variable power optic, 45* irons or an MRDS, aggressive muzzle break, etc...

If I was FISHing I would want a sling, white light, Optic, a less aggressive brake, maybe a DBAL.

You aren't going build a 14.5" Carbine with iron sights to take a long range class. You are going to build a rifle for HD/CQB with a Magpul PRS, bipod, 10x optic, and no white light.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

The KISS principle is sound but it has to be applied relative to the task at hand. I.e.: You outfit the rifle for your intended purposes. This is an individual process and is accomplished by the end user making decisions on what is and is not necessary to accomplish the tasks, weighing necessity over convenience when compared to training and complexity. Most times, when people say KISS what they are really saying is that they purposefully want a less capable tool for no other reason than simplicity - even if the equipment they are shedding would make their job easier, safer, faster, or more winning-er. 

For example:

If I was a National Match shooter I may want good irons and an appropriate sling. Maybe weighted hand guards and stock, bull barrel, etc...

If I was shooting 3 gun match I'd probably want a variable power optic, 45* irons or an MRDS, aggressive muzzle break, etc...

If I was FISHing I would want a sling, white light, Optic, a less aggressive brake, maybe a DBAL.

You aren't going build a 14.5" Carbine with iron sights to take a long range class. You are going to build a rifle for HD/CQB with a Magpul PRS, bipod, 10x optic, and no white light.

What mission are most of us here doing?  Home Defense 

What does a home defense rifle need?  

A light and optic

• Like 1

I'd say there are a lot of different shooters here with a lot of different hobbies and missions: Gamers and competition shooters, certificate collectors, long range shooters, the "because I can" or "I just want it" crowd (because 'Merica), armed professionals, prior service, etc...

The shooting world doesn't fit in your little box, no matter how much you try to force it to. ;)

Oh.... And a HD rifle needs a sling before all else. 

• Like 1

A light and optic works for YOUR needs Ray. But it is not an absolute. And my issue with your statements is you speak in absolutes that would imply the rifle that meets your needs would meet everyone's needs.. What most do matters little to the person that needs more or different. Im glad to see you have jettisoned your mall ninja ways of the past and are looking at things more practically. But you need to understand that needs aren't universal.

42 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I'd say there are a lot of different shooters here with a lot of different hobbies and missions: Gamers and competition shooters, certificate collectors, long range shooters, the "because I can" or "I just want it" crowd (because 'Merica), armed professionals, prior service, etc...

The shooting world doesn't fit in your little box, no matter how much you try to force it to. ;)

Oh.... And a HD rifle needs a sling before all else. 

I have nothing else to say, I can't do this anymore.

7 minutes ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Does anyone even remember how this started? 

Basically anytimg short of a shorty shotgun, you can hang what ever your heart desires off your AR. 

Enjoy! 

I jus heard something break.