Sign in to follow this  
9thMarines

Smith & Wesson Parts Swap 31-1 with 36-1 question

Have a 31-1 and was wondering if it can be converted to 38 spcl by using the cylinder,yoke and barrel from

a 36-1.      The frames appear to be identical.   Any parts problem going from 6 shot to 5?

Saw the 36 parts on Ebay and thought it might be an inexpensive was to have a "convertible. If it works!!

First you need to determine if your Model 31 is an I or a J frame.  I'm pretty sure it's a J frame.  There are videos on You Tube that show you how to tell the difference.  If it's an I frame forget it. The 38 spl cylinder is too long to fit in the frame.

If it's a J frame you have to consider the issue of fitting the parts.  If all the Model 36 parts came from the same gun it might make it easier.  All the internals that rotate the cylinder 72 degrees instead of 60 degrees need to be properly fitted to do so. Then the cylinder, cylinder stop, and other parts need to be fitted.  You may find you need a different hand, cylinder stop, or other new part to make it work.

I've seen them assemble new revolvers at S&W.  Even with MIM parts (which make it easier)  the people at S&W have big boxes of all the different parts and often have to go through several of each part to make the revolver work.  BTW most of the people that assemble guns at S&W are women.  This is one of the jobs women do better than men as they pay more attention to detail.

While such a conversion is possible it isn't easy.  It's really a job for an experienced revolversmith to make it work.  One who has any parts needed to swap out at hand.  A lot of the work I did I had a number of parts available to swap out. Many times I could bring a revolver back in time just by trying out several different hands I had in stock.  

I am much more an armorer than a revolversmith.  I wouldn't try this conversion.  You know I have an interest in your Model 31 but I think you'd be better served by selling it and buying a Model 36.  Easier and it will probably be cheaper in the long run.  When you take into account what you can get for your 31 and how much you'd pay for the parts kit it really makes sense.

JMO.

As usual....thanks Griz for your expertise...

I was just scrolling thru Ebay and there is a 36-1 cylinder, yoke, pin and barrel assembly for under a $100 for sale and was just curious if this would work. The J frames are very similar but  from your input it sounds like too daunting a job.

If it was just a barrel and cylinder swap I could have had a cheap convertible.  Oh well...  Thanks again.

All the best, amigo

Kenny