gleninjersey

What Do You Drive Currently. What Was Your Favorite & Least Favorite Vehicle?

2015 lexus is350 f sport and a 2003 h2.

Love the lexus bc it's a good blend of performance and reliability.

Ppl hate on the h2 but it's one of the most functional suvs out there. Has a 6 ft bed with the seats folded down and can hold 2500lb. Rides like a caddy too.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Current: 2000 Audi A4 - yes, she's got some years on her, but oh my, she's still a peach! Less than 140k miles and I have a great mechanic - so I intend to run her up to at least 200k. I love her so much I even named her: Princess Cruella Cream Puff.

Favorite: the current car... in a tie with my first car - a hideous green VW Bug (a.k.a. The Green Hornet)with missing running boards and rotted holes in the floorboard. Literally, if I hit a puddle, my feet would get splashed - a very unique driving experience, for sure. But, oh, how I loved that car! I learned to drive stick on it, how to force it to start when it was being difficult, and therefore learned to think strategically by parking it on a hill whenever possible facing downhill... ah, good times!  I actually cried when I sold it. You know what they say... a girl's "first" always has a special place in her heart, LOL.

Worst: Every tin can in-between - Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, Suzuki, etc. Hmmm... I just realized, I guess I'm just a fan of German engineering! Like the A4, even the ancient Bug had that nice solid "thunk" when you closed the door. I do so hate a "tinny" car.

• Like 1

Current is a 1999 Ford F250 superduty....nice truck

Other favorites

Ford 1995 E150 club wagon....you can haul the whole family, another family, all the luggage, AND tow a trailer with that thing.  Did many boy scout campouts in it.

1993 Merc Grand Marquis - it could haul a ton of stuff in that trunk, and seriously haul ass too.  No wonder they call em mafia staff cars. 

1991 Jeep Cherokee - straight six with a stick...was fun, but a bit small for the family.

Least favorite is a toss up between two -

2004 Dodge Durango  and a 1986 (i think) Merc Topaz.  Both were troublesome junk; the Durangos (I had two of em) made me swear to never buy a dodge again; the electrics sucked, they were both rust buckets, and there was a recall for a cowl leak they didnt tell you about until AFTER you waterlocked and blew the engine.

The Merc Topaz was just a POS from day one; just one problem after another. 

Current: Keep swapping with wife, 2016 BMW 320i and 2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 (Supercharged + turbocharged).

Favorite: 09 BMW e92 (3 series coupe), 93 Z28.

Hated: 09 BMW e92(3 series coupe),

Any BMW owner will tell you it is a love hate relationship with them.   Bought my coupe as a 3 year old leftover with 17k miles on it for an amazing price, drove it through 110k miles and traded in last year.  Drivetrain was bullet proof, but oh my so many freaking electrical gremlins.  @67gtonut was right. lol. Swore I would not get another BMW but the new Beemer was cheaper to lease than a Honda Accord (sub $300) so got it.  Recently wife has been driving it and I have been driving the Volvo.

Volvo is freaking awesome.  T6 is now the super charged + turbcharged 4 cylinder putting down over 300 HP.  The most comfortable seats and still gets over 30 MPG.  A little on the smaller side in rear seat comfort but stupid safe and stupid quick.  

I do miss my old mullet mobile.  Anastasia did enjoy her Honda Accord and Civic.  

Current car is a 2017 Honda Ridgeline - I love it. It's perfect.

Favorite were my first two cars. I had a 1953 Chevy Bel Aire from 1993-1995. That thing was awesome. The back seat in that thing was HUGE!! ;) Ended up selling it for 3x what I paid for it.

My second car was a 1971 Beetle Auto-Stick. I tore that car down to the frame and rebuilt it. Drove that until 1997. That car was fun and taught me a lot. You could fix anything on that car with a 10mm and 13mm wrench, a hammer, a straight screwdriver and a wire brush. I used to crawl under it and short outbthe starter with the screwdriver to start the car.

Current:  09 subaru legacy 3.0R and an 06 Lexus RX330 that wifey and I swap.  Love both to death.  The flat-6 on the subie is a great motor

Favorite:  my old 08 mitsubishi evolution GSR...  450bhp and was a blast with the tight suspension amd awd system.  I swear it was a factory built track car

11 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I used to crawl under it and short outbthe starter with the screwdriver to start the car.

Lol... HE, people must've thought you were stealing the car

6 hours ago, dajonga said:

I have read, and enjoyed, a few car related threads lately. 

Do we need a separate cars section here on the NJGF?

Share photos of you, your mullet & your car.

@67gtonut would run it, into the ground.  He doesn't like rice burners or land boats.

• Like 2

Right now I drive a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Very reliable and plays right to my frugal side.

10K between oil changes. Gets about 30 miles to the gallon (26+ gallon tank) on the highway and 24 with mixed driving and I do a lot of long range driving for work. Only problem was the fuel pump going at 45K and that was paid for by my extended warranty which also made the extended warranty worth it.

Now I have to choose between VW buying it back for 41,000 - way above what it's worth or having them "possibly" fix the emissions system for free and 10,000. cash.

If I opt to keep it though, how do I sell it later if I even can sell it. I doubt it will have any trade in value too.

Of all the other vehicles I've owned my favorite was a 1976 CJ7 - damm I had fun with that. Got into a bit of trouble with it too driving where I shouldn't have been. Also loved my 1967 Plymouth Fury. It could take 6 people camping with all their gear and a couple of canoes and still and room for more.

• Like 2

I totally forgot my favorite car of all time, bought it for $800 back in 1996. It was a 1977 full size chevy blazer, 2 door, plastic removable roof, 4 inch factory lift with 36" tires (Cheyenne package), and spray painted flat black. 350 chevy short block that got 4 mpg on a good day. That thing was a beast, every time I drove in Manhattan not a single taxi or city bus ever cut me off. But unfortunately I had to get rid of it because it was not a commuter in any sense of the term.

2 minutes ago, beachwhistle said:

Now I have to choose between VW buying it back for 41,000 - way above what it's worth or having them "possibly" fix the emissions system for free and 10,000. cash.

If I opt to keep it though, how do I sell it later if I even can sell it. I doubt it will have any trade in value too.

I'd either sell it back to them.  It's not a classic car so there's no value...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, beachwhistle said:

Right now I drive a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Very reliable and plays right to my frugal side.

10K between oil changes. Gets about 30 miles to the gallon (26+ gallon tank) on the highway and 24 with mixed driving and I do a lot of long range driving for work. Only problem was the fuel pump going at 45K and that was paid for by my extended warranty which also made the extended warranty worth it.

Of all the other vehicles I've owned my favorite was a 1976 CJ7 - damm I had fun with that. Got into a bit of trouble with it too driving where I shouldn't have been. Also loved my 1967 Plymouth Fury. It could take 6 people camping with all their gear and a couple of canoes and still and room for more.

The turbodiesel dirt-rags are one of my favorite SUVs.... I just wish they were 7 Pax. 

On the flipside of that, the Volvo XC90 T8 looks pretty interesting.  I love the new XC90... had a loaner one for 2 days while getting our Volvo scheduled maintenance.... LOVED IT.

My current car is a 2015 red Hyundai Sonata Limited Hybrid with all glass top.  Handles well, is very comfortable, and gets 40 MPG!  Gas mileage wise it sucks compared to the tiny 2002 underpowered Prius I had that got just about 50 mpg.  Previously I liked my land yacht, a 2001 BMW 740iL with a big V8. My favorite was probably my 1985 Volvo 740GLE, it was the first non box shaped Volvo to every hit our shores.   

I currently drive a 2013 BMW 550i, coming out of a Honda this is an amazing automobile.  I'm just glad it's still under warranty, because once that starts to expire, buh bye BMW.  Aside from the BMW my other favorite was my wifes KIA Cadenza fully load, that was a nice ride.  From the tech, to the drive the car was sweet.  My least favorite was probably my first ride, a 1991 Chevy Camaro RS that I bought in 1999.  It had a 305 small block that went nowhere fast, the tranny mounts kept ripping, the t-tops leaked like the Niagara Falls when it rained, but it sounded great due to an exhaust leak.  Everything in between was mediocre, both Honda's.  Reliable as all, but just a mediocre ride. Selling the last one I had if anyone is interested.

11 hours ago, beachwhistle said:

Sell it. My favorites car ever is my T2 V10 twin turbo TDI.  They'll never make anything like it again.  I had two but now down to one.  That particular diesel will burn anything, maybe even dog shit.  

Current:

2016 Honda Civc EX-T

Great to drive, but a tight fit with a rear facing car seat.

2014 Subaru Crosstrek

I've heard the 2018 addresses most of the things I don't like about the 2014. 

Favorite: 2004 Subaru WRX. 

Fun to drive. Waiting on the next generation in 2 years before I get another. 

Worst: 2004 Subaru WRX.

Bought it used with 30,000 miles. Spent a fortune on recommended maintenance and a rod bearing went at 105,000 miles. I'll try again with a new one. 

• Like 1

Current carz..   1999 Crown Vic and 2005 Grad Marquis.  Yeah..yeah.. Old cars for an old fart...but.. they are roomy and comfortable and target stands fit nicely in the trunk along with other goodies..

Worst car ever.    1947 Fraser..  That car just did not like hills...any kind of hill.....

Best looking cars...   Mercedes 190SL  and 64 GTO ragtop..... 58 Chevy Impala

Most fun cars.....  52 MG TD  and 56 Porsche Speedster and 32 Chevy

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

• Like 6

Current,

2014 VW Passat TDI (6 speed), daily driver.

2010 Mazda CX-7, wife's car and weekends at the boat mobile.

1986 Porches 944, maybe a little modified, former autocross, DE and track event toy. It's currently sinking into the driveway, it needs a ton of work and hasn't moved in a couple years.

Favorite, 

There've been a few. I've had a lot of fun with the 944 in the 2 decades I've had it. OTOH, my 1980 VW Scirocco S was a blast, 1800 lbs and every performance part I could find or fabricate back before anybody had put rims on a civic. My 1978 Suburban was a beater, but plenty of great memories in that one as well.

Worst,

It's not a terrible car, but I hate driving the wife's Mazda,  it's a typical Japanese commuting appliance with no soul. Her 1989 Isuzu Amidon was just marginally better. 

As for the TDI, I think I'm keeping it. VW will buy it back for more than I paid for it new, but I can't find anything to replace it with. I like the mileage I get with it. 40+ mpg on my daily commute (40 miles round trip, mostly back roads, about 30 traffic lights. The 5 miles of highway are usually at >80 mph), 50+ mpg on the Parkway if I keep it under 75 and a "best" of 57 mpg on 30 miles of twisty 2 lane in Vermont. Where else am I going to find a roomy, comfortable sedan that gets mileage like that? Closest I've found is the BMW 328d, but that's only available with an automatic and that's a deal breaker for me.

Current carz..   1999 Crown Vic and 2005 Grad Marquis.  Yeah..yeah.. Old cars for an old fart...but.. they are roomy and comfortable and target stands fit nicely in the trunk along with other goodies..

Worst car ever.    1947 Fraser..  That car just did not like hills...any kind of hill.....

Best looking cars...   Mercedes 190SL  and 64 GTO ragtop..... 58 Chevy Impala

Most fun cars.....  52 MG TD  and 56 Porsche Speedster and 32 Chevy

An SL and a speedster? Wow. I had a JPS speedster repro and it was a blast. Inside rear wheel was always in the air like a dog taking a piss. Hilarious and terrifying at speed.

Taking a blasé security attitude by using Tapatalk Pro

Current & Favorite:

• 2015 Chrysler 300S HEMI 

Past:

• 2013 Infiniti G37X Sedan
  • 2010 Infiniti G37X Sedan
  • 2005 Scion TC
  • 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Future:

• Undecided - Loved the Jeep, and would love a 15+ Jeep Grand Cherokee, but ever since i've been getting into sportier and quicker cars. Now in my first V8 and the torque sure is addicting! Been eyeing those new Dodge Charger Scat Pack 392's :good:
  • But..... I also have a deposit on one of the new Tesla Model 3's (set to debut in July 2017) so who knows haha

Now we have a loaded Mazda cx5 (wife) and my Taco4x. But for fun cant beat my first, a 68 Cougar got from my dad. SO much fun but being 18 had a lot to do with that too lol. I swapped out the 302 (maybe best engine Ford ever made imo) and found a pre pollution 351C out of an Eliminator with 7K on it (sad story...), a dif tranny, carb and other goodys....definition of fun! And to keep the fun rolling me and buds would get winter beaters for $50-100 or so just to smack around in the snow. 64 chevy, 68 wildcat, 68 belvidere....3-4 months of fun and to the junkyard! These days its all about heated leather seats, yay....

4 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

I learned to drive with a '94 (I think) suburban. 

I just sold my 2000 Ford Taurus and got a 2012 Toyota Camry. There are certainly some new things in the Camry that I like over the Taurus, but I do miss the V6. I think I'd really like the V6 AWD Venza.

The Venza is perfect for my wife. Neither of us wanted a minivan, we were looking at small SUV for her and ran across the Venza.

1 hour ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

I REALLY don't want a minivan, but my wife won't drive a large SUV, she is already talking about a sienna.

Sounds like the Venza might be a good option for you if you have 1 kid. With 2 things might get a little crammed. I'm with you on the minivan. When we decided to have a kid I said I'm not getting rid of my jeep and were not getting a minivan. To my surprise my wife completely agreed!