flank

Protect/Prevent rifle sling buckles from scratching wood stock

Hello all, as the title states I'd like to attach a rifle sling to some of my rifles that have wooden stocks. The problem is I do not want the metal buckles on the rifle slings to scratch the wood stocks. I know, I know, the stocks are going to get scratches/dings/scuffs at some point or another but I would prefer to avoid it especially if it's coming from something I have control over.

My thought is to coat the metal buckles in some sort of protective material. My PSA AR15 completed upper receiver came with a coating similar to "heat shrink" over the front sling swivel and if I could get something similar to that type of coating that would be great. Obviously heat shrink would not work in my situation as the heat shrink would not be able to slide over an enclosed metal loop. Google searched for "rubber paint" and found plasti dip. Apparently they make a non-aerosol version that can be brushed on. Thinking of giving this a go and painting over the metal buckles but I am open to other suggestions.

Tape could work but I think the tape could interfere with any sling adjustments. I'm primarily looking to attach the slings once and not remove them from my M1Garand and Ruger 10/22 M1 Carbine, possibly other rifles depending on how this goes. All slings that I will be experimenting with are reproduction slings and not originals. I think i'm gonna give the plastic dip a go on a cheap-o airsoft sling and see how that goes.

45 minutes ago, flank said:

Tape could work but I think the tape could interfere with any sling adjustments. I'm primarily looking to attach the slings once and not remove them from my M1Garand and Ruger 10/22 M1 Carbine, possibly other rifles depending on how this goes. All slings that I will be experimenting with are reproduction slings and not originals. I think i'm gonna give the plastic dip a go on a cheap-o airsoft sling and see how that goes.

How often are you actually going to be using the rifles with the slings?

I keep most of my rifles with the slings off, and the rifle itself in a gun sock.  If you need it, put it on.

The only gun that has a sling on all the time, though easy to remove, is the AR. 

If you must keep it on, try cling wrap (like the kitchen stuff), easy on, easy off.