Sold rifle on armslist.

Guy emailed me he will take it. 800. shipped. I emailed back need FFL scanned to me. Received FFL, looked legit!. Ran thru FFL EZ check, wrong address and wrong CO. name. Called lembert back, told him there was an issue and got a hang up. Sold rifle again to a legit buyer. 2 weeks go by, receive priority envelope with a cert. check from a trucking co. in GA. for 1500. This is in payment for lembert's rifle that i have now sold elsewhere.

Called trucking CO. talked to owner. Fake check, closed account and changed banks 3 months ago! Held onto all emails and check, contacted ATF. Two weeks have gone by. No response from ATF.

Armslist is a den of thieves.  I refuse to use it.

Would prefer FTF on here or ar15.com with good feedback

Only accept PayPal or USPS MO when selling.  I call the FFL beforehand to let them know I'm shipping and to verify address.  Anything else is risky.

I always insist on talking to the seller over the phone.  Ask him about the firearm, round count, where they bought it, why they're selling, specific questions about the gun only someone close to it would know, etc.  You should be able to sniff out a scammer 9/10 times.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fatty said:

Even if it was a local guy?  

That would be a different story.  A local guy would have no reason to send a check and not do a ftf.

If ATF doesn't do anything there's a few things you need to be aware of.  Unless they have this guy doing this multiple times they're going to do an "open and close", "no prosecutorial merit".

While many think ATF Agents sit around making cases on some guy in NJ giving a shotgun to hIs brother in PA that's not the case.  So many agents, only so much time, you want to go after that guy or some guy who's run 100 guns into Newark from souther states.

Which would you think merits more effort?

Local PD, even  NJSP, have no jurisdiction out of state.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

You could also try contacting the US Postal Inspectors, he's using the mail to commit fraud.

See my post above.

All Federal LE agencies are understaffed for all the Federal crimes committed.  Postal Inspectors areally no different.  If you conduct an investigation and have enough to arrest a guy (always best to get warrant if you have time)  you have to clear prosecution through the US Attorney.  If the US Attorney declines prosecution that's the end of it.  Now at times a Fed can take his case to local prosecutors but they are usually a lot busier than the US Attorney.  Also Feds are not there to enforce state law.  There are plenty of criminals That's why state and local LEOs assigned to Federal Task forces are a valuable asset.  They can handle the case if there is an equivalent state law.  Their agency benefits from seized asset sharing.  Win all around.

8 hours ago, GRIZ said:

See my post above.

All Federal LE agencies are understaffed for all the Federal crimes committed.  Postal Inspectors areally no different.  If you conduct an investigation and have enough to arrest a guy (always best to get warrant if you have time)  you have to clear prosecution through the US Attorney.  If the US Attorney declines prosecution that's the end of it.  Now at times a Fed can take his case to local prosecutors but they are usually a lot busier than the US Attorney.  Also Feds are not there to enforce state law.  There are plenty of criminals That's why state and local LEOs assigned to Federal Task forces are a valuable asset.  They can handle the case if there is an equivalent state law.  Their agency benefits from seized asset sharing.  Win all around.

No doubt, but like you said in your second post it can't hurt to report it. If the guy is doing it enough it get the feds attention.

• Like 2

No doesn't hurt.  If you report it there will be a record made of it.  The statute of limitations for most Federal felonies is 5 years.

I've made cases where I arrested the guy and discovered other crimes still within the statute of limitations and managed to get the guy charged for those crimes. Maybe the evidence wasn't that strong in the past cases.  The defendant has to ask the question, "do I want to go to trial and maybe get 20 years or do I plead out to one count and get 5".  Okay he doesn't do all the time he deserves but he does do time.

Federal sentencing guidelines are structured by the seriousness of the crime, the defendant's role in the crime, if he pleas out at what stage does he plea out, what help he gives the prosecution, and other factors.

I had a case where I had four defendant's all equally culpable.  I did my homework and had evidence to impeach one defendant's testimony.  At the end they got 30, 20, 10, and 5 years.  The guy did a lot to get 5 years.

• Like 1

Mostly I sell on gunboards. Armslist is problems. FTF is not bad, and no fee. Watch for the trollers that don't have DOCS.