EWC88

Gas or electric weed wacker/edger?

Depends on how much you need to use it.  I prefer gas for the power and run time but that comes with extra maintenance.  By electric I assume you mean one of the newer battery powered units.  No experience with them but if the run time is enough to handle whatever you're doing then they make life easier in that there is no fueling and no worries about the carb off season.

LYou also have to consider the area you are covering.  Large area I'd go for gas unless you have multiple batteries so you can always have one charged.

A small area can be taken care of with a plug in electric and 100 ft extension cord.  Always ready to go.  No worries about having gas on hand or charged batteries.

I have all three.  Which I use depends on what I'm doing and the area I have to cover.

Everything I have is gas but I have 3 acres. My buddy has a very small yard and has a battery powered weed wacker and hedge trimmer and I have to say they are pretty nice. I would consider one if I had a small yard. 

I run the expensive pre mix at the end of the season. Start of season.1 tank

For storage I run expensive until it's empty, kaput.

e gas is bad.

I could go electric, I do 2 lawns currently ( single old lady next door) but the price point for cordless isn't there. Yet

I have a teenager mow my yard... but I do the weed wacking and edging. My very small yard has a decent amount of fencing, raised gardens, etc. that need attention. I use a Ryobi battery-powered weed wacker/edger. I've chopped through growth with woody stems 1/2 in diameter like buttah...and the charge lasts for roughly an hour!  I got one for my dad for father's day a couple years ago - he always had the gas-powered stuff, but he's totally sold on it too.. He said the battery powered tools today are far superior to what they had years ago.  

Ryobi has a whole series of tools that can use the same charger and batteries. So, you can just keep adding to the same line-up... and when you have a big task precharge all the batteries and you're good to go. Worth checking out IMO.

I own a acre of land but that is mostly woods. Even when I decide to chop down some trees to have more flat land it won't be the whole acre I'll be doing. I would say a hour charge time would probably be perfectly fine for what I need. 

I've used my dads gas before and my moms plug in electric and didn't mind either, that's why I'm lost on what to get. I do like the 0 maintenance aspect of electric, but also power output of gas. But as long as the electric can do a good edge and weedwack I'm fine!

I'll check out the Ryobi tomorrow!

• Like 1

I have had a cheapo $40 Toro plug-in electric trimmer from HD for like 15 years now and it will not die.

I keep saying I will upgrade to a battery powered unit, but not until this thing stops working.

Nothing to maintain at all, just refill string and go.

+1 on the Ryobi line. It's 40V, and does everything I need it to do (1/2 acre). I also have the leaf blower, cultivator and pole saw. All work off the same power head (except the blower). They also make 40V lawn mowers, snow blowers, edgers and hedge trimmers, plus a few other things that work off the same power head and/or battery.

Just used the cultivator to turn over the soil in the garden a few weeks ago, that was sweet!

Nice part about the Expand-it line is that you could use their gas OR electric powerhead, it just clamps right up to the accessories. I am really liking the electric though...

Get the weed wacker that has the battery, charger and powerhead, then just add the "tools" only on the other stuff. I bought a spare battery and charger for about $140.00, so when one dies, I just swap it out and continue workin' :)

Home depot and Amazon is where I purchased.

https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/list/family/40v?page=1

GL!  

• Like 1

I purchased the 20 inch ryobi  mower love it.. no more fuss with the fuel..dam thing works very good i was expecting some lack of cutting so im impressed. I also did quick review took a pic of mower in finished shed i reload in and have the blue press in the background. review is under tony357  LOl..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-20-in-40-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Push-Mower-with-5-0-Ah-Battery-RY40180/206481611

My John Deere finally gave up the ghost after 12 years of good service, so last week I bought a Husqvarna battery powered trimmer. I'll never own a gas trimmer again. For my half acre it does fine. I used it about 1/2 an hour last weekend and the battery still had 2 of 3 bars of charge showing. Power was fine, and the lack of noise was great!

Husqvarna 115iL 40V 14-in. Brushless String Trimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNRVZMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NanmzbHHKMETE

No input on performance as I don't have or use them, but if you have some of the bigger name cordless tools like dewalt 20v max or milwaukee m18 fuel lines, they make battery powered yard tools as well - I think most of the bigger names do by now.  If you're just starting out, do some research on other tools you might want (drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, jig saw, circular saw, other yard tools, etc etc) - you may find one brand has or doesn't have what you are looking for.  If you're already in a tool system, check and see if they make a trimmer that uses those batteries or are backwards compatible. I know Dewalt makes a 60v weed wacker that the battery is backwards compatible with 20v tools, so you get a spare battery or two for your other tools.

I will say one downside to battery powered tools is replacement battery costs - I'd imagine any trimmer will come with at least a 3ah battery, and more likely a 4ah or 5ah battery or two.  I only really know dewalt battery prices, but a 2 pack of 3ah is gonna be around $100-120, and a two pack of 5ah batteries is $160-180.  I believe a single 9ah battery is around $200.  I've found them cheaper online, but still not *cheap*.  So again, if you can use the same batteries for other tools, that won't sting quite as much.

I went with the Ryobi brushless trimmer, because I already had the tools and batteries. The smaller Ryobi trimmer uses the batteries or cord.

My wife could never get the gas ones started, and no matter which one you get always wear eye protection and pants not shorts, I learned that lesson a couple years ago when i was introduced to little demons called chiggers.

I had 2 different gas ones..   bigger PITA than they are worth for anything an acre or less..   i bought a kobalt 80v battery one a couple weeks ago..  got all the trimming i needed to get done with my 0.7 acre property and still had about half the battery left...  glad i got it..   will probably get a kobalt 80v leaf blower as well (this way i have 2 batteries and a new blower for my gutters)...

if you have a big property, gas makes sense

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I have a teenager mow my yard... but I do the weed wacking and edging. My very small yard has a decent amount of fencing, raised gardens, etc. that need attention. I use a Ryobi battery-powered weed wacker/edger. I've chopped through growth with woody stems 1/2 in diameter like buttah...and the charge lasts for roughly an hour!  I got one for my dad for father's day a couple years ago - he always had the gas-powered stuff, but he's totally sold on it too.. He said the battery powered tools today are far superior to what they had years ago.  

Ryobi has a whole series of tools that can use the same charger and batteries. So, you can just keep adding to the same line-up... and when you have a big task precharge all the batteries and you're good to go. Worth checking out IMO.

Where do you FIND a teenager to cut grass (or shovel snow) these days?? 

In my 17 years in NJ, I have not ONCE had a kid offer to cut my grass or shovel my snow. 

Maybe its my big mean redneck personality......

Oh, and to add to the thread, I use a Husqvarna commercial gas string trimmer. Not that I have a huge yard, but the commercial grade stuff gets better engines and components. 

• Like 1

I switched to gas because 

1) The corded electric ones frikin SUCK. 

2) Electric tends ot be smaller than gas and the gas ones are already built for frikin short people IMO. 

3) You've got a better selection of line for them. 

4) You can probably swap in various useful attachments. 

If going electric, go battery, go brushless, and go for the heftiest diameter line you can get. 

My wife got pissed at me for getting it last season. Finally tried it out this season and loves it. 

I use a Honda 4 stroke trimmer. Yes, it's expensive, but buy once cry once. Grew up using Honda lawn equipment. With the 4 stroke, no mixing 2 stroke oil with the gas. Change the oil once a year and plenty of power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Where do you FIND a teenager to cut grass (or shovel snow) these days?? 

In my 17 years in NJ, I have not ONCE had a kid offer to cut my grass or shovel my snow. 

Maybe its my big mean redneck personality......

Oh, and to add to the thread, I use a Husqvarna commercial gas string trimmer. Not that I have a huge yard, but the commercial grade stuff gets better engines and components. 

Fortunately, I have a set of neighbors who actually want their sons to learn responsibility, work ethic, customer service, the value of a dollar, etc. So, I've had the 17 year old mowing for the last few years and once he heads off to college I'm hoping the younger son will be ready and willing to become my next lawn slave. ;) (I enjoy weed wacking, but I hate mowing - so it's worked out well for everyone).

• Like 1

I have a Stihl FS 76 that I have been running for 20+ years, I have changed the spark plug 2 times, the priming bulb once and just replaced the carburetor ($14 on amazon) this year.  I keep my mix clean and add a small amount of stabilizer at the end of every season. 

I have 3+ acres and need a gas model.