Cecil Harvey

Outdoor range that allows kids younger than 10?

I'm in Essex county, and I currently drive an hour and a half to Cherry Ridge. I got turned down today for a guest pass for my 8-year-old daughter. I took her to Gun for Hire, and she had a great time. The staff there was so awesome, as usual. After she got her sight picture figured out, she got a 1.5" 5-shot group with her Savage Rascal before our time was up. Just put her to bed, and she asked about when we were going back.

However, I strongly prefer shooting outdoors, and I particularly like shooting a rifle prone. So I want to find a different range that I can take her to. I'm willing to drive around 90 minutes. I'm also willing to cross the border into PA either via 22, 78, or 80. 

My membership to Cherry Ridge expires in July, and I won't be renewing. If my daughter wants to share this hobby with me, I'm not going to a range that will turn her down. The ANJRPC evidently doesn't want people like me as members.

Anyone know of a range that fits the bill? 

I have brought my kids to Range 14 at Ft. Dix when they were 8 and never had a problem.  I don't know what the official age is but I have seen many kids there under 10.  I got to know a few of the range officers and asked them what he minimum age was and they said as long as the kid can handle the gun and is safe they don't have a problem with them.

My son was 7 when we started shooting there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

I don't think Range 14 can happen. According to its forum, the age limit is 10. No dice. 

SJSC is too far, but looks really great. 

Old Bridge looks like an option. I sent an email about membership info. Membership is a bit pricy, but if this is a long-term solution, it's potentially worth it. Plus, it's 40 minutes closer to me than Cherry Ridge.

I'm also looking at a bunch of places just across the PA border. Membership is way cheaper than NJ places. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cecil Harvey said:

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

I don't think Range 14 can happen. According to its forum, the age limit is 10. No dice. 

SJSC is too far, but looks really great. 

Old Bridge looks like an option. I sent an email about membership info. Membership is a bit pricy, but if this is a long-term solution, it's potentially worth it. Plus, it's 40 minutes closer to me than Cherry Ridge.

I'm also looking at a bunch of places just across the PA border. Membership is way cheaper than NJ places. 

Are you ready to be your own R-O?  Wanna come to Old Bridge for a visit to check it out with your daughter and watch her shoot in any position?  tomk62 & I are both Old Bridge members.  We have folks from all over Essex Co. come to shoot!  Face the facts:  PA ranges are cheap, 'cept for the TIME & GAS it takes to get there & back.  That TIME limits the number of visits per year.  At the end of the day, you can candy-ass it by being cheap on the initial outlay & then be forced to spend money on gas & wear and tear OR you can just pony-up the SAME money up front & show-up as many times as you'd like since it's less than 1/2 the travel time :) .  I started my son when he was 4 years old.  Single-shot .22 youth model bolt action on a bench on a rest.  If my kid did it at 4, then a 8 year old is no problem.  School's almost out for the summer.  So do ya wanna spend more time drivin' or shootin'?  Just ask and tomk62 or any other member will help you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Are you ready to be your own R-O?  Wanna come to Old Bridge for a visit to check it out with your daughter and watch her shoot in any position?  tomk62 & I are both Old Bridge members.  We have folks from all over Essex Co. come to shoot!  Face the facts:  PA ranges are cheap, 'cept for the TIME & GAS it takes to get there & back.  That TIME limits the number of visits per year.  At the end of the day, you can candy-ass it by being cheap on the initial outlay & then be forced to spend money on gas & wear and tear OR you can just pony-up the SAME money up front & show-up as many times as you'd like since it's less than 1/2 the travel time :) .  I started my son when he was 4 years old.  Single-shot .22 youth model bolt action on a bench on a rest.  If my kid did it at 4, then a 8 year old is no problem.  School's almost out for the summer.  So do ya wanna spend more time drivin' or shootin'?  Just ask and tomk62 or any other member will help you.

What are the OB fees now? initial + annual?

15 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

I just got my daughter a Savage Rascal (single-shot bolt action .22), and she loves it.

I'm leaning towards this as an option. $684 initial outlay is a lot to invest. I'd certainly want to check it out first. If it meets our needs, that's very much worth it.

I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to on the web site:

1) What is the minimum age for a young shooter under parental supervision?
2) Is the annual membership fee all I need to pay, or is there a per visit/per hour fee?
3) What is the policy or cost with respect to bringing guests? How many can I have at a time?

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

What are the OB fees now? initial + annual?

They haven't changed in YEARS, so they're the same as was mentioned in the last thread about range fees, lol!

That being said, $384 annual, plus a $300 initiation fee (only HALF of which is due at sign-up:  $192 + $150 = $342).  So it's $342 for the first 6 months & $342 for the balance if you join in December.  Dues are PRO-RATED since the club's fiscal year is identical to the calendar year.  So someone joining on the second Sunday of June (that's when the club runs its' sign-ups) wouldn't pay a full years' dues plus an initiation and then be immediately subjected to an invoice for another full years' dues.

Cecil, here's some more answers:

1)  There isn't one.  You're your own R-O, so HANDLE IT!  Just use proper judgement & techniques so kid doesn't sweep herself, you, or anybody else.  I trained a 4 year old by leaving the youth model bolt action rifle IN the Caldwell sand bag & pointing the muzzle down range & using a "safe chamber indicator", aka a "flag".  And always having the child at your side while changing targets so no one can see a kid near the bench unattended :) 

2) Dues is all you pay plus the aforementioned one-time initiation fee.  No nickels & dimes.  Show-up 8 days a week if you'd like to.  Bring a cooler for lunch & don't forget the D-Lead Wipes!  Hell, most members fawn over kids at the range & ask their parents if they need anything like spare targets, ammo, etc.  "Here Kid, try my .22 Ruger with bi-pod & $300 scope" is quite common (with the parent's OK of course).

3) A family member that lives with you is NOT a Guest, so bring her 8 days a week.  A "Guest" is an adult over 18 years of age that doesn't reside with you.  The same guest with the same member is welcome to visit up to 3 times a year for "casual plinking".  If one of your guests shows-up with or w/o you to shoot a league match, the league appearance DOESN'T COUNT towards their "3 allowed guest appearances".  You can have UP TO 3 guests at once, but since we don't provide a R-O, YOU'RE THE R-O, so you don't shoot while they're shooting.  You're allowed to bring Guests AFTER your probationary period (usually 6 months, but depends how well the league chairs evaluate your gun handling skills).  So the more your face is seen at league matches NOT screwing the pooch, the sooner you're allowed to finish paying your initiation.  This cuts-down on STUPID & makes you responsible enough to BE a R-O watching the firing line :) 

Lots of forum members are club members.  I happen to be a former Board of Trustees member & current Match Director for the club.  If you wanna visit, just let me know :) 

• Like 2

T

3 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Lots of forum members are club members.  I happen to be a former Board of Trustees member & current Match Director for the club.  If you wanna visit, just let me know :) 

Sounds like a good deal. 

I'm sending you a PM so we can work something out for a visit.

• Like 1

You can visit OBRPC during one of their weekend matches. The matches are open to the public. The gate is open and it will allow you to walk around and talk to people who are very willing to give you all the information you need. There are often other kids shooting their so you can talk to them also (but aren't we all just kids anyway).