SW99

S&W SW99 Issue

Hey all,

I think I got a bit too aggressive when using the brush on the lower while cleaning and unseated the small spring that engages the slide release. I'm not sure how it goes back in and don't want to force it as it seems parts for these things are few and far between. 

The circled part should be under the slide release arm to give it tension and I'm not sure how to get it back under there. 

Anyone familiar with this firearm? If not, can anyone recommend a gun smith in the North Jersey area (Wayne, Caldwell, etc)

Thanks all. 

IMG_9151.JPG

Reload the pic it is only popping up a thumb nail and I really can't see--perhaps others can. 

If it's the slide catch spring that needs to be reinstalled--then just look at the manual or google it.  There will be many videos.  

Heres the armerors manual. 

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_m&p_armorer's_manual.pdf

frame dis/assembly starts on page 18.  

2 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Reload the pic it is only popping up a thumb nail and I really can't see--perhaps others can. 

If it's the slide catch spring that needs to be reinstalled--then just look at the manual or google it.  There will be many videos.  

Heres the armerors manual. 

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_m&p_armorer's_manual.pdf

frame dis/assembly starts on page 18.  

This is a different gun than what I have. I will look into it to see if they are similar in build. The SW99 videos seems to be few in number as I was looking into it last night. 

Thanks

Sorry, as for the picture it kept saying my upload was too big so I kept resizing it to get it to go and I guess its now really small lol 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

You tube it. I think you're gonna have to pull the trigger group.

If this occurred on my gun, I would consider replacing that spring.

I'm not comfortable doing all that. Can anyone suggest a gun smith in my area? I might as well have what ever needs replacing replaced and cleaned. This was my first gun when I turned 21 its got thousands and thousands of rounds through it with zero issues. My favorite piece by far.   Thanks all

1 hour ago, SW99 said:

LOugdJMsePV4DLUx6ozLnohu3ouCHiXtMus_QgZM

mfFP9gxj3yxLlJ1-MKi3Mppx2sTcEeUi9dFG9ObM

Let me know if you can see those images. Thanks

I don't know if Manny at the bullet hole is still doing work but for something like this he may do it. 

IMG_9147_zpsmjq5kwkt.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I don't know if Manny at the bullet hole is still doing work but for something like this he may do it. 

Thats where I purchased it almost 15 years ago. I will call them tomorrow and ask. Thanks. 

Without having it in my hands I'm guessing that the large trigger pin has to be pushed out.  The loop facing front is probably intended to hook around it.  The flat spot to the rear of the spring goes under the slide stop to apply upward pressure on it.  

I don't think anything is wrong you just some how dislodged the slide stop spring.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Without having it in my hands I'm guessing that the large trigger pin has to be pushed out.  The loop facing front is probably intended to hook around it.  The flat spot to the rear of the spring goes under the slide stop to apply upward pressure on it.  

I don't think anything is wrong you just some how dislodged the slide stop spring.  

That seems correct. Just not sure how to put it back. Don't want to damage anything trying to put it back.

2 hours ago, SW99 said:

That seems correct. Just not sure how to put it back. Don't want to damage anything trying to put it back.

Worst case you take it to the gunsmith after you try. I think you got this bud. Give it a shot

• Like 2

I don't think you'll hurt it.  I can't see if it loops the trigger pin or if there is a channel along the slide in the frame.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Been two days.... I've got this odd feeling SW99 stabbed him self with a pic a few times..

Lol. No. Not yet! Havent had a chance to sit down and crack at it yet. 

Here's an actual model 99 manual.  The slide stop spring hooks around the rear trigger pin, as i thought, to secure in place.  You need a punch to knock the pin out and then tap back in.  Exploded diagram page 28  

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/s&w_99.pdf

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 7:16 AM, Rob0115 said:

Here's an actual model 99 manual.  The slide stop spring hooks around the rear trigger pin, as i thought, to secure in place.  You need a punch to knock the pin out and then tap back in.  Exploded diagram page 28  

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/s&w_99.pdf

Thanks! I have that pin out but am having a hard time getting it all to go back in and sit correctly. I will look at it again this weekend when I have some time. 

Appreciate the response!

• Like 1

Hey all,

Brought it to Gun For Hire in Woodland Park and the gentleman there had me back up and running in 10 min no charge. No wonder this is may favorite range. 

So professional and so friendly! 

Thanks for the help all

• Like 1