Grendel327

AR gunsmith recommendations

There is no such thing as an AR gunsmith. Just like unicorns, glock armors, leprechauns...

Takes longer to grab the right size Allen wrench for the gas block than it does to tighten the barrel nut.

Just like the guys said above, YouTube is your friend and if you have any other questions  (witch you won't because it's really simple) there is plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you out. 

• Like 1

A different take on the topic. No, assembling a standard AR is not rocket science. But I have fixed enough other peoples builds to form an opinion that fundamentals of solid assembly techniques, tools and knowing what to do when faced with a problem may be beyond a fair amount of people. Now, when you step outside of standard and in the realm of the 6.5G or worse, large frame AR's, you are entering a different world. Let me qualify my statement a bit. If your building a blaster 6.5G then I may agree with the posters above. But most people building a 6.5G are pursuing a precision rifle. And I have come across a number of 6.5 specific build techniques to help achieve those accuracy pursuits. I too encourage doing it yourself. But go into it understanding you may not end up with a reliable bug hole shooter coming out the other end. If you indeed want a precision 6.5 Grendel then it may make sense to pursue a precision 6.5G centric builder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shane45 said:

A different take on the topic. No, assembling a standard AR is not rocket science. But I have fixed enough other peoples builds to form an opinion that fundamentals of solid assembly techniques, tools and knowing what to do when faced with a problem may be beyond a fair amount of people. Now, when you step outside of standard and in the realm of the 6.5G or worse, large frame AR's, you are entering a different world. Let me qualify my statement a bit. If your building a blaster 6.5G then I may agree with the posters above. But most people building a 6.5G are pursuing a precision rifle. And I have come across a number of 6.5 specific build techniques to help achieve those accuracy pursuits. I too encourage doing it yourself. But go into it understanding you may not end up with a reliable bug hole shooter coming out the other end. If you indeed want a precision 6.5 Grendel then it may make sense to pursue a precision 6.5G centric builder.

Stop. You are making sense. /sarcasm

While I recommend you use Tier 1, had them build me two precision bolts, AR assembling is straightforward even for the 6.5 Grendel caliber.  The only issue is having headspace gauges.  If you are using a free float barrel assembly it is simply a matter or appropriate thread stretching then torquing to spec.  The barrel makes contact with nothing other than the gas tube inserting into the gas key.  I would recommend borrowing/buying a headspace to ensure the bolt fits the barrel extension appropriately.  If you go it alone make sure you use a good  moly lubricant for the upper receiver barrel nut threads.  I think aeroshell is mil-spec.  Umbrella Corp sells it cheaply.

https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/miscellaneous-components/18/aeroshell-33ms-grease/

If it's a good quality barrel and has a proper chamber (big arguments on Grendel I and Grendel II throat), bullet weights are good for twist and the ammo is quality, it'll be accurate.  If I'm not mistaken BHW uses GII, which is really 264 LBC compatible (at least that's what I recall).  

All this grendel talk had me go and load up 150 rounds of 123 SMK's.  I guess I know what I'm shooting tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Grendel327 said:

" If I'm not mistaken BHW uses GII, which is really 264 LBC"

this is my understanding too.  Satern gives you the option of SAAMI or "type 2".  I went with the SAAMI chamber.

I've been reading a lot more support for the original Grendel in various forums including the horde.   

Well I wish you luck with your Grendel I know I enjoy mine.  

What is the rest of the parts list for this particular rifle?