Sign in to follow this  
Screwball

Custom Holster Source for Odd Handgun Setups

Asked about this topic being against the rules, and received no answer from my thread, so posting it up as I feel some of the forum would have a need for this service.

From talking to holster companies, it seems that if you want one made specifically for an odd handgun, you would have to find a NJ FFL that would also make the holster to legally carry that out. Problem is that I actually have not found one in central NJ that offers that service. So, I've talked to people at the Oaks gun show and heard that sometimes, custom holster makers come to do holsters while you wait. Went out to this past one on a whim, and found one that I think would be a good option for people that have a gun setup not commonly offered as a holster. I was looking for a company's name prior to this show, so at least there is one contact name on the forum if people want to check if they will be present at an upcoming show. If anyone finds another maker, definitely add into this thread... as I wouldn't have thought to check a holster company from Ohio to be going to Oaks.

Now, I do want to clearly point out that this is not a dig at any holster makers... especially NJ ones. Personally, I say buy locally to keep the NJ gun/accessory market going. But not every company can make holsters for all guns... or even specific accessories (lights, lasers, bayonets [emoji41]).

Anyways, I wanted to have a holster made for my SP-01... wearing the CZ Tactical Block. I have a Bravo Concealment holster that fits it with a TRL-1, which was my first Kydex holster, so wanted to get another. There usually is a guy at the shows that does custom leather holsters... and while I like some of my leather holsters, wasn't what I was looking for (or even one of those universal holsters which might have fit).

Walking the show, I found a corner table in the first room with a good amount of Kydex on the table. Quite a few holsters in some common variations, as well as knife sheaths. Guy just grabbed lunch, so figured I'd talk to him while he wasn't working on holsters. Showed him what I had, and described what I was looking for (OWB holster in black).

Company was Shark Tac, the guy's name was Brandon, and he was very interested in what I had. Asked me about the way the block was secured to the rail, and how it locks/unlocks (wanted to see if any pressure on the locking tab will cause it to come off the rail during the draw, and looked to see how he could make sure that did not occur). Gave me a price to do the work ($140), which was fair in my eyes, considering the amount of custom work needed to be done. Said he will be about an hour, took my name and gun info on an invoice, and said to enjoy the rest of the show (was another room to look at).

Came back a few minutes before the full hour, and he asked me to give him a few more minutes. Considering it is a gun show, and people inquiring for services/purchases... absolutely not a problem. Walked out to the car to toss ammo/gun case in my trunk, went to the bathroom, got a drink, and came back as he was finishing it up. Showed me retention, and I was very happy with the work. Here are some pictures of what I received...

1971D8D4-5D36-40A2-B671-056FF0A5234A_zpsnjmdw0a9.jpg

4DA3E6A3-48E5-4C4D-A613-7CAA531E2517_zpsboysmomt.jpg

0040514B-C44D-4D4F-9CA0-5285F8C549A0_zpsddgnq9kz.jpg

101F71F0-3AE2-44DB-A106-4C93083D60D5_zpsyu3mszbv.jpg

Brandon was proud of the work, as well. From talking with him, he has been doing holsters for 17 years. He asked if it was ok if he took a few pictures for his Instagram... which I had no problem with (he made sure serial numbers were out of frame, which while it didn't bother me, I appreciate it; the one he posted looks great). One of the people working at a magazine table (all odd firearm magazines in different calibers) came over and was impressed when he showed her his work. At the same time, I asked if it would be ok to mention his company in a review... which he appreciated.

Very happy with the holster. Retention was a little tight, but has worn in enough to make it a nice draw. Rather it start off too tight than too loose.

Going to link his business card, as I am not affiliated with him. Figured if someone has a gun setup that they want a custom holster made for, they can reach out to him and confirm if he would be at an upcoming show (pain in the butt to walk around with a cased handgun while you are looking around). He did say he usually attends Oaks... and looking at his website, he is saying he will be at the upcoming August 2017 show.

B48E730F-B829-4D1D-A606-5406125811D5_zps8t7u88qc.jpg

While I'm not looking to have a bunch of holsters made up, I am considering one or two possibilities. I would like to do one for my S&W 642-1 with a LaserMax weapon light... but would like to see if he could do something for 9mm moonclips (would have to grab some snap caps to bring with me). Other one I was considering was my Glock 30S, with a weapon light on it. I was thinking about a sheath for the Tactical Block blade, but rather something more practical (would keep it from just sitting out in the safe).

If someone finds another holster maker that does a similar service, I'd definitely want to hear about it. If a NJ FFL offers it, I'd also would want to get the word out.

• Like 1