High Exposure

Operation Neptune, June 6, 1944

62B150CC-59FB-4C39-92BD-FEF0FACB5360_zps

The first phase of Operation Overlord - the establishment of a large-scale opening into Europe - was the amphibious invasion and establishment of a secure foothold, codenamed Operation Neptune.

73 years ago, 156,000 allied troops embarked on the largest amphibious landings in history.  Troops from the US, as well as the UK, and Canada, began their assault against Fortress Europe, taking well over 10,000 casualties.

Although it took longer than planned, they ultimately succeeded in establishing their foothold, consolidating their positions, and opening a path that led the the fall of Nazi Germany and an Allied victory.

Take a moment today and remember the men who walked into the jaws of hell and won, securing a future free from the evils of the Nazi sickness.

390DF343-96E6-4ABD-8AEF-27250811CCB1_zps

23AA095A-2115-423E-B64C-9F606CCD31B4_zps

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/world-war-two/world-war-two-in-western-europe/d-day-index/operation-neptune/

I have to qualify my guys on their rifles tomorrow. I am going to shoot a qual course with my US Rifle .30 cal M1 to commemorate the day.

My Grandfather was in the 88th Infantry Division, The Fighting Blue Devils. He was captured in Italy in 1943 and spent 13 months in a POW camp. He was a prisoner during the Allied landings. If they had not succeeded my grandfather would have died in that camp.

• Like 12

well you old fool i have to say, without question, this is the best post you've ever made. HUGE thumbs up.

i will never, ever even begin to imagine what those kids went through on those beaches that day so long ago. the amount of courage it took, to know they were most likely never seeing their parents or loved ones again is unbelievable. it brings a tear to my eyes every year, without fail

Those men truly earned the title as the greatest generation.  I wonder what is worse, knowing that you may die defending your nation and her allies, or being in command and knowing you are sending men to their demise.  How they kept it together defies all comprehension.  We will never understand or comprehend what went through the minds of our fathers and grandfathers.

• Like 1

My Uncle was a MP who was supposed to land on Omaha late in the afternoon on June 6.   Due to the backup he didn't land until June 7th.

My Father made Sicily, Salerno, and Anzio.  About 10 days after landing at Anzio he was wounded (for the third time)  at the Battle of Cisterna. He lost his right eye and was wounded in the leg.  That put him out of the war and sent him back to the states.

• Like 1

Here's some info on the Great Deception, Patton's landing at Calais: 

My Dad landed at Anzio & saw a ton of shit.  One day, when my brother & I were "playing Army" I asked to see his medals.  He had a cigar box full of them, including a Purple Heart.  Rifle Expert, campaign medals, ribbons, his stripes, buttons, cover, and wallet-sized photos of guys he went to war with that never made it back, some of whom died in his arms.  It was the only time I ever saw my father weep.  He didn't talk much about the War, 'cept to say what he was assigned to do:  hump a 75 pound tripod for a Ma-Deuce (as part of a 4-man Heavy Machine Gun Squad) through the Po Valley campaign with the 5th Army.  

Later he was "volunteered" as the BAR man in his rifle squad.  He once harvested a deer with his BAR.  His outfit was on rations at the time, so venison was a luxury waiting to be plated.  As the story goes, he had a fresh mag & led the deer a little too much since only 18 .30-06 rounds hit his target.  Before the meat had a chance to spoil, a bunch of his platoon whipped-out their Ka-Bar's & sliced it up while others made a fire.  Good eats that day.  Other exploits involved stealing eggs from hen houses, fishing with a pineapple hand grenade & a net, and trading smokes for Hersey Bars & nylons that he'd use to "explore the Italian countryside" :) .  He collected a duffel bag full of Mauser rifle actions and successfully brought them home.  That's what he used to re-start his life in the Shadyside section of Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Also, 75 years ago this week was the Battle of Midway.  Four Japanese carriers sent to the bottom of the sea and a turning point for the Pacific Theatre six months after Pearl Harbor.

2,500 U.S. service members died on D-Day alone

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86789-75th-anniversary-of-the-battle-of-midway/#comment-1115902

;)

• Like 1

My father landed there that day. He never talked about it until I joined the Navy. Always chocked up when we talked. I have his medals, Africa, Sicily, Anzio and then Occupation. They are the greatest generation, but we have a great generation now that has been at war for 16 years. The greatest always step up to do there duty. God bless all of those who serve. 

• Like 1

My grandfather served in I believe the Navy in WWII. Is there a way to look up his service records? My father had his medals in a box (I only remember the purple heart), but I don't know what happened to them. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

My grandfather served in I believe the Navy in WWII. Is there a way to look up his service records? My father had his medals in a box (I only remember the purple heart), but I don't know what happened to them. 

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

8 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Follow JimmyAGR's link for records.  Once you have them or if you have a copy of discharge papers (not DD214 then, a WGO form IIRC) you can send that to your Congressman and request a set of his medals.  My Father's medals were lost when he was evacuated.  I got a set of his medals that way.  They came with his name engraved on the back.  I'm not sure if they still do this but worth a try.

• Like 3

My Father served in the Pacific theater and was trapped behind enemy lines for several days on Okinawa.  I have his medals. Uncle served under Patton in Africa and Europe.  Both were injured and had service related life long problems.