Hairless_Ape

Sig P220 vs 1911

Huge fan of 1911's.... yes commie loves his 1911s. =)  Why? its almost like legos.  Massive third party support and you can customize it to your heart's content.

While it is not as "easy" to field strip versus a modern gun such as a Glock, CZ or Sig.... it is far easier to do a full detail strip and no tiny pesky parts to lose.  In reality, any gun owner should be able to easily strip a 1911 anyway... It is not hard, just one extra step really.

Having said that... I really LIKE the Sig P220 for what they are.  Do not compare it to a 1911... but on its own merits, it is quite nice, in a variety of styles.  Keep in mind, 1911 mags will NOT work in a 220 even though they are close, iirc, the 220 has the mag catch holes on both sides? and in a slightly different position.

• Like 1

I'm with Maks.  While I love Sig's P-series, they just don't compare to well crafted 1911's.  A properly hand fit 1911 is second to none.  The only downside is mag capacity, but then there are 2011's with higher caps and the same internals.  Detail stripping is also very easy after a few tries.

JMB was a genius

1 minute ago, fatty said:

I'm with Maks.  While I love Sig's P-series, they just don't compare to well crafted 1911's.  A properly hand fit 1911 is second to none.  The only downside is mag capacity, but then there are 2011's with higher caps and the same internals.  Detail stripping is also very easy after a few tries.

JMB was a genius

The P220 suffers from the same capacity issue.

I will say, The P220 will have a "nicer" trigger than many stock 1911s, or lower entry 1911s, but a good solid 1911 is perhaps the nicest trigger you can find... (in my opinion, as a YUGE fan of SA triggers).

Sig actually makes a pretty nice 1911 too.

My brother likes his P220, and I will likely get one at some point.  At the same time, I have 3 1911s and 1 2011. =)  Smith Wesson, Desert Eagle, and Remington, and the 2011 is an SVI.

That's right - I forgot the 220 was single stack.  I had the 227 in mind when reading this.

SA 1911 triggers can definitely be a hit or miss though...  I've had a few over the years and as a production gun it was really a luck of the draw.  Some were absolutely sweet while some were like 9lbs and gritty as all hell! lol

Sig's are nice as well (tons of features for the money; especially their checkered front straps), but they did have a period of time when they had some pretty well noted QC issues (also with their series 80 FCG's; yuck!)

Maks - have you fondled any of the higher tier 1911's?  I've sold off so much to start my way into these.  Just sooooo nice

5 minutes ago, fatty said:

That's right - I forgot the 220 was single stack.  I had the 227 in mind when reading this.

SA 1911 triggers can definitely be a hit or miss though...  I've had a few over the years and as a production gun it was really a luck of the draw.  Some were absolutely sweet while some were like 9lbs and gritty as all hell! lol

Sig's are nice as well (tons of features for the money; especially their checkered front straps), but they did have a period of time when they had some pretty well noted QC issues (also with their series 80 FCG's; yuck!)

Maks - have you fondled any of the higher tier 1911's?  I've sold off so much to start my way into these.  Just sooooo nice

Oh yes... and I would say I have 2. =)

The SVI is well.... SVI.  Super duper crisp 2.25 lb trigger.

The Smith 1911 is the Pro Series, right around 4.5 lbs.

The Desert Eagle 1911 is surprisingly very good, but when you think about it, it was produced by BUL in Israel, which designed the gun as a competition gun for Charles Daily as per their request.  Magnum Research swooped in and outbid CD and it is now the Desert Eagle 1911.

Remington 1911, is eh.

Played with a ton of custom to "custom production" 1911s and 2011s at the various shows (Shot Show) and matches.  

Just now, fatty said:

You're a lucky man Maks!  Shot show must be so much fun

Let me know if you want to go, I have hooked up a few members here with some media credentials in the past. =) 

Not the tread jack.... but this is usually my favorite fun of shot. =)

See...a lot of what you guys have said is why i prefer the P220. No need for custom this and that, hand fitted, tuned nonsense to have an extremely accurate reliable firearm. A bone stock sig will perform at the same level of any 1911 costing twice as much. And as Zeke said...decocker.

I still love 1911's (for no rational reason), but the P220 is a superior firearm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hairless_Ape said:

See...a lot of what you guys have said is why i prefer the P220. No need for custom this and that, hand fitted, tuned nonsense to have an extremely accurate reliable firearm. A bone stock sig will perform at the same level of any 1911 costing twice as much. And as Zeke said...decocker.

I still love 1911's (for no rational reason), but the P220 is a superior firearm.

BS. =)

A used $550 P220 will be better than a $550 1911.... but Bone stock , absolutely hell no, versus 1911s that cost twice as much.

Heck, even good one like Smith Wesson Pro Series or Performance center.

Personally, I don't like the DA trigger on the P220, and far prefer the SAO. =) 

Come shoot a few good 1911s.

I DO want a P220 SAO in 10mm however.

44 minutes ago, Hairless_Ape said:

Fight the good fight bro! Don't let the Fan boys break you!

I am a 1911 fan boy... but my HD pistol is still my P226 9mm elite stainless.  Zero recoil, 15+1, and hasnt had a stoppage yet.  

P220 is also sweet, but for the same mag capacity id take my DW Vbob or TRP any day of the week.

• Like 2

Maks, the remington carry comander i purchased has excellent fit and trigger i was not expecting this when i purchased it through the uspsa program, i never held one just could not pass up the offer. I have made that pistol one my home defense guns.

Before I got my FID, I wanted a P226.  45 minutes after getting my ID, I was walking out the door with my new P226.  I thought the 226 fit me perfectly.  A year or two later, someone let me try a P220, and holy crap, I fell in love with it.  I love the feel of the grip even more than that of the 226.  Makes me want a P225/P6/P239 now, too - I apparently have a thing for the slim Sigs.

Incidentally, my 3rd permit was for a Sig 1911, about 3 months after getting my P226. 

For whatever it is worth, I don't own a P220 yet, but it is high on the list.  Between the two, I'm inclined to say I'd favor the P220.  I'm a fan of the decocker, SA/DA works for me, and it has the same controls as the P226.  Either option is available in .45 or 10mm, and I'm really itching for something in 10mm for some reason, though .45 is a way more sensible choice.

Nice thing about both is, even in NJ, you can actually own both.  Eventually, I will. 

(And something in 10mm, too. And probably a P225, P228, M11A1, P229, and P239.  I guess I just like Sigs more..?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

Maks, the remington carry comander i purchased has excellent fit and trigger i was not expecting this when i purchased it through the uspsa program, i never held one just could not pass up the offer. I have made that pistol one my home defense guns.

USPSA program?!

11 hours ago, Maksim said:

BS. =)

A used $550 P220 will be better than a $550 1911.... but Bone stock , absolutely hell no, versus 1911s that cost twice as much.

Heck, even good one like Smith Wesson Pro Series or Performance center.

Personally, I don't like the DA trigger on the P220, and far prefer the SAO. =) 

Come shoot a few good 1911s.

I DO want a P220 SAO in 10mm however.

From a practical standpoint, yes it is. The P220 I carried for nearly a decade in sandboxes around the world required less maintenance and care to be a reliable weapon than any of the high end 1911's carried by others. My standards are real world practicality, not hanging out at the range in ideal conditions with a firearm that's never been dirty.

Again, P220 is a superior weapon. The 1911 is 2ND kind of cool, and I own 2, but 1St kind of cool is the only thing that actually matters in the end.

I have both firearms with well over 1k rounds through each.

1911 has a far better trigger, even the $4-500 guns you can shave off the pounds with just proper honing due to it's design.  Easy to detail strip.

P220 you are limited to what you can do with the trigger before you have light primer strikes or interfere with the fire control group or internal safeties.  I got the stock trigger down to a 8# D/A and 4# S/A pull installing a 17# main spring (range only). There's a tutorial online how to polish the trigger group for smoother action and you can install a short reset trigger for quicker reset and a little better take up.

I love both firearms but if I could only choose one it would be the 1911 for it's trigger/range, and the P220 for home defense.

Both guns you can get 7,8 and 10 round mags, no capacity difference at all.

• Like 1