Anyone use them for training?

Play the actual sport?

I had a dealer account for years with a airsoft/paintball company but never really used it for much more then mma gear and occasional requests.

Recently I thought of getting one for training. I can shoot in my yard or house and not go to jail or destroy stuff. You don't need hearing protection. Then the main thing is if you shoot someone they are fine. So you can do movement and transition drills you could never safely do with a real firearm. Also it's way cheaper to shoot them.

The guns feel real, are accurate and have some range. I picked up a bunch for some like minded individuals looking to use em for training.

a5a59677191aae6e46e7073acefbd5f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been playing for 15+ years.  The technology has advanced a lot since the old days.  Some guns are pretty much spot on in terms of ergos/etc, but you're not going to get the full balance/feel exactly...

The most realistic guns are going to be the gas blowback type - you get some recoil and more realistic capacity.  You do also have to manipulate slides/bolts with them, compared to AEGs and cheaper guns.

• Like 1

Yes - there's multiple types of propellants for Airsoft.

• Spring Piston (Must cock before every shot) - mostly bolt action rifles, spring cocker pistols, and shotguns
  • Green gas (Mostly gas-in-mag or reservoir) - Gas Blowback pistols, Non-Blowback pistols, Gas-in-mag rifles, bolt action rifles with gas adapters, some shotguns
  • CO2 - Same as Green Gas.  CO2 cartridge is usually in the magazine.
  • External Gas (HPA or CO2) - Usually Polarstar/Valken V12/Wolverine Inferno/etc. - These are systems that use a combination of electronics + gas to shoot at a regulated FPS and very rapidly.  They do not blow back so it's not realistic, but for semi-auto only games, you can put a lot of firepower downrange VERY quickly.  There are Gas Blowback models as well - some Classic air guns that have a lot more moving parts and recoil a lot. 
  • AEG - Battery powered - Basically a RC Car motor cycling gears that move a piston back and release to shoot.  These are the most common type of rifle/SMG 

I find that the best guns to use are the gas powered blowback pistols.  You can load them to NJ Capacities, and practice reloads/firing/etc.

They're pretty much spot on for ergos.  Unfortunately the balance isn't always 100% but that's not too bad.  A lot of the weight is in the magazines themselves, not the frame/slide, depending on the material used.

Trigger pulls are also different.  I have a Tokyo Marui Px4 Storm vs my real Beretta Px4 Storm.  The airsoft version's DA/SA pulls are about half as much as the real thing.

Valken has a new company doing their pistols. Said they are gonna be way better then the ones they have now. They are like a month or 2 away from selling them. Also glock may actually license out soon to make airsoft guns

I've been airsofting for just over 10 years now, though I've had airsoft guns for probably 20 years.  I was into airsoft for years before adding real firearms to my collection.  I now help out running one of the largest fields in northern NJ.

The majority of my airsoft guns are AEGs or gas blowback (GBBs).  Most airsoft guns I have have handled are substantially lighter than their real counterparts, even with metal bodies and batteries.  Most AEGs will have cosmetic similarities to the real counterparts, but things like the bolt catch or charging handle likely do nothing (or may expose the hopup adjustment).  Most guns are pretty similarly sized to the real deal, so certain real parts like stocks or rails may fit or can be adapted to airsoft.  Pistol grips are one exception - most airsoft gun motors are housed in the pistol grip, so a real grip won't work.  Also, airsoft AK pistol grips are substantially thicker than real ones - the first real AK I handled surprised me how thin it was.

Gas blowbacks typically have minimal real kick - the most kick I have felt would be similar to that of a .22.  Most have fairly lightweight slides, and most of the weight is going to be the gas magazine, so the balance will be different.  Depending on the manufacturer, the GBBs may have similar controls, like a working decocker. (A KJW P229 I have has a working decocker, but if you let it go too fast, it will still fire.)  That same P229 is one of the few examples which is actually heavier than the real counterpart.  Trigger pulls tend to be off, and a lot more mushy in general, than real counterparts.  Some manufacturers make pistols that are extremely close to the exterior dimensions of the real thing, so real holsters may work for airsoft guns.  That 229 is a tight fit in most holsters, while my airsoft P226 fits in multiple real 226 holsters perfectly.

I often will try to get a new shooter to handle an airsoft gun first, so I can see how they listen to instructions and handle themselves, and show them the basics on something that is considerably safer, yet has the same controls as my real guns.  Airsoft can get you a general feel for certain aspects, but not everything.  Accuracy, range, and consistency will always be an issue.  Loading mags and the same controls may get you somewhat more familiar with operation, but airsoft mags are a bit different from real mags, and most controls have a different feel.  Playing airsoft may give you a little more stress than an average range day shooting paper, but when an airsoft BB gets deflected by a leaf or twig, and is only moving at 300-400fps, I'm not sure how much that helps you. 

For me, I can see airsoft being perhaps a supplement to training, but little more.  I'm mostly of the mindset that it is a fun sport, and a good time with friends. 

I see some very beneficial uses for airsoft in a training role for serious shooters. If used correctly they offer a definite benefit. I know some big name instructors advocate their use. Pat was a big fan both of airsoft and BB guns for getting reps in on days when he couldn't make the range.

Plus, they are just plain fun.

If I could get a Glock airsoft gun I would in a heartbeat. Would make a nice change to dry manipulation practice.

• Like 1

I used a battery powered airsoft pistol as a training aid when my son was eight.  Cheap but effective.  Besides, it was the only thing we could use in the back yard without a SWAT team showing up.  In addition to providing hours of fun (and father son bonding time) it was the perfect tool to teach him all the finer points of firearms safety.

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I see some very beneficial uses for airsoft in a training role for serious shooters. If used correctly they offer a definite benefit. I know some big name instructors advocate their use. Pat was a big fan both of airsoft and BB guns for getting reps in on days when he couldn't make the range.

Plus, they are just plain fun.

If I could get a Glock airsoft gun I would in a heartbeat. Would make a nice change to dry manipulation practice.

so you would love these.....

https://nextleveltraining.com/product/sirt-110-training-pistol-2/

Designed by Mike Hughes (top shot/uspsa), used with LE.... weights exactly the same as a Glock 17/22 with a loaded mag.

Same trigger pull (almost), has two lasers.... red to show you the take up, and green for when trigger breaks.  Allows shooter and instructor to see the movements the hands and firearms are making.

I have one myself and perfect for dryfire or sim training.

Just played a game today.  BIIIIIIIIIIIIG game.  Over 500 People.  Probably closer to 600-700.  Don't have the final tally yet.

Unfortunately because of the safety equipment I was wearing, and the somewhat dissimilar dimensions of the Rifle/pistol mags/etc, I have a hard time doing speed reloads compared to the real thing.  Wearing goggles with a face mask attached makes it hard to look to manipulate - especially if the goggles are very scratched up.  Still it was very good practice.  I got a lot of point shooting in with my GBB pistol, as I was helping defend a castle structure, and inside was semi auto only.  Pistol engagements made that a lot easier - I got a lot of kills with it.  USPSA/IDPA did help too - I found myself focusing on the front sight a lot more than just shooting and watching the BBs.

Oh and yes, Airsoft does hurt.  (That's my underarm)

z586xdw.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Just played a game today.  BIIIIIIIIIIIIG game.  Over 500 People.  Probably closer to 600-700.  Don't have the final tally yet.

Unfortunately because of the safety equipment I was wearing, and the somewhat dissimilar dimensions of the Rifle/pistol mags/etc, I have a hard time doing speed reloads compared to the real thing.  Wearing goggles with a face mask attached makes it hard to look to manipulate - especially if the goggles are very scratched up.  Still it was very good practice.  I got a lot of point shooting in with my GBB pistol, as I was helping defend a castle structure, and inside was semi auto only.  Pistol engagements made that a lot easier - I got a lot of kills with it.  USPSA/IDPA did help too - I found myself focusing on the front sight a lot more than just shooting and watching the BBs.

Oh and yes, Airsoft does hurt.  (That's my underarm)

z586xdw.jpg

Hmmn, so that rilly did leave a mark.

I am now, intrigued.

I can personally vouch that a close range shot can take out a tooth, happened to a teammate 10 feet ahead of me. Have worn a mesh lower face mask ever since seeing that.

I have had marks on me from close range shots which were still there 15 months later.  I have seen BBs wedged in and under skin. Shots to fingers, forehead/face, ears, neck, and the twig n berries are typically the most unpleasant. Most other shots, while they may sting a few minutes and look rather unpleasant, are easily forgotten.

All said and done, injuries are fairly uncommon. Most people playing outdoors won't get more than a few light red marks that disappear in hours or days from BB hits, and are more likely to get injured by being scratched by thorns or branches, or from slipping/tripping, scrapes, twisting ankles, or from various other natural hazards that anyone running around the woods would encounter. Or from not drinking enough water...I swear no one ever drinks enough water...

2 hours ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

I put together a package for some 3%ers. Crazy price for a group buy. But the particular model is limited now.

ab20b222bb0d48ccbb111f5fe0c7acec.jpg

My buddy got one. This is his

i like mine. i'd set up some plastic soda bottles on my wood pile. at 14 yards, she was off about 2" left outta the box. i think it only was 2 or 3 clicks to correct. gonna be fun when we get to doing games with em

i see huge benefits for airsoft as a training aid. i run an aeg for a primary, so i dont have felt recoil but manipulation, moving, positioning, reloads etc all can be worked on for a fraction of the cost, adn under some pressure with elevated heart rate as well. you get to shoot at people in a way that you dont die when you screw up

ive cloned my saiga pretty well into an airsoft version, did have to make some concessions, but its close, r/s normally has a polytac that was absent in this pic. i even went as far as to fabricate a new rear trunnion for the aeg to accept the RDAKM4

17554442_10212945525574870_7582704787191

all the gear i run is real stuff that is set up to be used for both real firearms and airsoft

this is what i ran at the scranton lace factory a few months back (played on the "black widow militia" team, hence the black and flannel

18010894_10213213736199968_7130999380239