lexcruiser

Trijicon RMR @ Cabelas for $349!

Surprised this wasn't posted here already.  Saw it earlier in the week but didnt have a chance to post.  The Trijicon RMRs, both the 3.25 MOA & 6.5 MOA versions for only $349.  This is the adjustable LED version!  Don't think I've ever seen it this low.  Its on backorder now (people probably went to town) but were in-stock when I initially saw it.  If you're not in a rush, its a good deal - 

Click Here

11 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Yes. But the battery lasts years.

They upgraded this feature so that removing the optic for a battery swap is unnecessary correct?

Most of these types of optics have to be removed for battery removal. The only serious one that can swap the battery without removing the optic that I can think of is the old Inforce MRDS (now cloned/made by L3).

The RMR Gen 2 has upgraded battery contacts and a 4-5 year battery life, but I still think you need to remove the optic to swap the CR3032.

There is a learning curve.

http://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/

The above link is a very good discussion of handgun slide mounted/milled RDS use.

"Lessons Learned After 5 Years of RDS Use On Service Pistols

For shooters who have difficulty visualizing standard iron sights, a pistol RDS definitely improves hit probability, especially at longer ranges. The use of RDS on all weapon systems (handgun, SMG/PDW, shotgun, rifle) creates a common sight picture across platforms. The RDS allows the shooter to remain fully focused on the threat and not have to transition back to the front sight prior to firing—this is an incredibly SIGNIFICANT factor in the real world!

Under 12-15 yards, conventional iron sights are generally are faster for most shooters; beyond that, a handgun with an RDS is tough to beat. A shooter is doing quite well, if when using a slide mounted RDS equipped handgun, they can EQUAL conventional iron sight performance during rapid fire shooting from around 12 yards and closer.

The real benefits of a pistol with slide mounted RDS occurs at longer ranges, with movement of the shooter or target, and in low light. Shooting at moving targets and when shooting on the move is dramatically easier with an RDS. When engaging a hostile target in a larger open area such as a school, shopping mall, airport, etc... that requires extensive movement and long shots, an RDS offers a substantial advantage over conventional iron sights based on numerous timed and scored practice scenarios. An RDS also offers advantages in reduced light shooting, as an RDS equipped pistol completely eclipses conventional tritium sights for low light shooting and is unsurpassed when using night vision.

Initially the larger 6-8 MOA size red dots were preferred, however, with increased experience using handgun RDS, the smaller 2-4 MOA dot size became more appealing for many shooters, especially for longer range targets. The ability to easily turn the dot off to allow practice with the BIS was appreciated. Likewise having the option to switch from auto intensity to manually adjusting dot brightness to optimize it for different lighting conditions was preferred. Much like with an AR15, awareness of the dot offset from the bore must be maintained at closer ranges under 10 yards or so. A 25 yard zero was used on all handgun RDS, allowing hits from 0-100 yards. Many shooters noted that it took several thousand presentations before they became fully comfortable with rapid target acquisition using the RDS. Almost all shooters quickly achieved large gains in their accuracy scores at 25 yards and farther. (Mounting RDS on inert training pistols like the SIRT can speed-up initial acclimatization to RDS equipped pistols and help new end-users more rapidly develop proficiency.)

Several older officers suffering from middle aged presbyopia had been plagued with steadily diminishing qualification scores over the past several years. After adopting an RDS equipped pistol they noticed a dramatic increase in their scores—some shooting better than they had 25 years earlier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- For those with vision issues, an RDS equipped handgun can be the answer.
-- For certain specific operational requirements and mission sets, a handgun mounted RDS is an excellent tool, particularly for long range engagements and when using NV.
-- The ability to remain fully focused on the threat and not have to transition back to the front sight prior to shooting is a key advantage of a pistol with RDS for LE use.
-- Slide mounted, reciprocating RDS are harder to shoot and less durable than stationary, frame mounted optics.

If you don't need an RDS, you don't have to use one; on the other hand, those who do use them, find them quite helpful in many respects."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Most of these types of optics have to be removed for battery removal. The only serious one that can swap the battery without removing the optic that I can think of is the old Inforce MRDS (now cloned/made by L3).

The RMR Gen 2 has upgraded battery contacts and a 4-5 year battery life, but I still think you need to remove the optic to swap the CR3032.

The Luepold Delta Point and Vortex Razor do not.   I think that is the route Trijicon should have went.

41 minutes ago, cabalrayz said:

i wouldn't put the leupold or vortex in the same league/purpose as the trijicon.  if your just looking for a range toy then they will all do the same job.

Vortex, okay.  But Leupold is top shelf.  

On 6/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, High Exposure said:

Keep in mind that they are the Gen 1 optics (with the upgraded internals) and Trij is getting ready to release a Gen 2.

This could work in your favor. Couple years ago Cabela's had a great price on the Gen1 Vortex Strikefire. I figured it was worth it just to check it out, ever if it was obvious that they were clearing out the Gen1 ahead of the incoming Gen2. I got put on backorder and after a month received an email that they were discontinued and my backorder was being canceled, I was also given the option of purchasing the Gen2 for the same price as the canceled backorder.

That was pretty good of them, I hope that's still their policy.