Metal

Ruger 10/22 - what difference does the model/barrel make?

Hi all,

There are plenty of things on my want list, but the most financially possible, and likely my next purchase, is another 22LR and I'm looking at the Ruger 10/22. My main question is does the heavier barrel on the Target model make enough of a difference in performance to justify the extra cost? My use will be plinking and target shooting at 50 yards and down. Any other things I should look for when making a selection? Other than that all I really know is I'm not interested in the takedown model.

It depends on where you want to draw the line.

The regular barrel is a bit luck of the draw. Mine was not that accurate, but would do for soda cans out to 75 yards at least. Others I have handled were tack drivers. 

It really doesn't matter though, they are up there with ARs for easy tinkering. I have like a $90 adams and bennet barrel on mine now and with federal UMB1 ammo it would do 0.18" groups at 25 yards indoors. Of course that ammo costs like $15 a box even back then. I got about 500 rounds for $1.95 per box from someone selling on and estate sale find.  

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

The standard barrel is plenty accurate for plinking and target shooting from 50 yards and in.

You can pick one up for under $200 currently, and have a lot of fun with it right out of the box.  

Not trying to hijack, but is there anyone in Jersey selling a Compact (not carbine) model for under $250 locally? I can get one online for $200 with free shipping and $35 transfer, but would prefer to stay local.

On the thread topic, I had a carbine and I found it to be highly inconsistent with all major brands of .22 that I could find. Very reliable, just not accurate.

I can't offer a quantitative comparison, but I REALLY like the 10/22T.    The laminated stock and  hammer forged spiral bull barrel are beautiful.  It's got real heft to it, and it's very accurate for a semiauto.   

Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna have to do some looking around and it'll probably come down to how much more I end up paying. If I can get a good price for the heavy barrel that'd be great, if not I'll get a standard and maybe make some modifications if necessary.

On June 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Metal said:

Hi all,

There are plenty of things on my want list, but the most financially possible, and likely my next purchase, is another 22LR and I'm looking at the Ruger 10/22. My main question is does the heavier barrel on the Target model make enough of a difference in performance to justify the extra cost? My use will be plinking and target shooting at 50 yards and down. Any other things I should look for when making a selection? Other than that all I really know is I'm not interested in the takedown model.

I purchased mine as a plain Jane mis mark ( they had the wrong price tagged, $169)

The aftermarket is very strong with this one.  I'd buy what you're comfortable spending. The 10/22 is one of those" everyone should have in the gun safe"...

hope that helps

• Like 1

I have the basic model. Hard to get perfect. The slide feels like its floppying around and not expensively machined, and one I had 25 years ago seemed tighter. I would like a nice stainless model but I don't know if the slide itself or the action is any better.

One alternate I added is the Henry Lever action base model for $100 more. Fun and accurate enough. I could be a bit more accurate because of the bolt or length. I don't know. 

But since they I have learned about the drastic ammo differences. 

I haven't had a 22 in my collection since I was a kid. When they came out with the Ruger Takedown Lite, I grabbed it.

Stuck a trs25 on it and a matched muzzle brake and viola! I have a ton of fun with it plinking steel at 100 yards easy. Very pleased with it. Not sure why you are against a Takedown.

2c6df839d389869ed00247ea6e5c2a4c.jpg

5f80fbe0a181dac6131cb0bddddec83a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bhunted said:

I haven't had a 22 in my collection since ai was a kid. When they came out with the Ruger Takedown Lite, I grabbed it.

Stuck a trs25 on it and a match muzzle brake and viola! I have a ton of fun with it plinking steel at 100 yards easy. Very pleased with it. Not sure why you are against a Takedown.

2c6df839d389869ed00247ea6e5c2a4c.jpg

5f80fbe0a181dac6131cb0bddddec83a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs the fancy take down stock where the barrel clips on

Yes, have the bolt worked on.. I have used CPC. Great work and turn around time.

They will true up the bolt face, pin the firing pin (stops flyers) and radius bottom and back of bolt. 

http://www.ct-precision.com/

Polish inside of receiver, bolt and bolt handle that rides in the bolt.  Add a bolt buffer.  Do this and the grouping will improve.  

11 hours ago, T Bill said:

Yes, have the bolt worked on.. I have used CPC. Great work and turn around time.

They will true up the bolt face, pin the firing pin (stops flyers) and radius bottom and back of bolt. 

http://www.ct-precision.com/

Polish inside of receiver, bolt and bolt handle that rides in the bolt.  Add a bolt buffer.  Do this and the grouping will improve.  

I've used him as well.  Did great work and turn around time was fantastic.

I finally got around to buying and shooting the takedown. I thought it did well all stock. I already ordered the bx trigger via Brownell's but honestly the stock trigger felt fine enough for 50 yards at least. Everyone is right about that BS bolt release however, so the VQ bolt release is going in ASAP. Will report once I get a chance to install and get to the range.

The rattling bx15 magazine is weird. Did a quick Google search and that appears normal.

also, the backpack only comes with 1 strap for some reason. Makes it a bit uncomfortable to carry with a sling once you put a box of 22 and other range accessories in it. I ordered the PVC  adjustable shoulder strap replacement from amazon prime to save on shipping.