vladtepes

FFL In Hospital Has Gun

Assuming the worst possible scenario.. the gun gets stolen by some slime ball that has access to his stuff.. and all of the sudden it is missing.. and the guy passes away.. do I just report the gun as stolen to the police and I am done with it? or should I provide the same info to the ATF since this guy was a FFL holder.. 

It was booked into his gunsmithing book which is the record.  If you feel that you'll never get it back you can call the ATF.  I did that when a gunsmith went out of business.  I did eventually receive the guns but lost my work deposit. 

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

It was booked into his gunsmithing book which is the record.  If you feel that you'll never get it back you can call the ATF.  I did that when a gunsmith went out of business.  I did eventually receive the guns but lost my work deposit. 

who actually returned them.. the ATF? or some other FFL?

3 hours ago, vladtepes said:

who actually returned them.. the ATF? or some other FFL?

The guy who shutdown the FFL.  I tracked him down after he moved from AZ to FL.  I told him I had called AZ ATF field agents and now that I knew he was in FL that I'd call the atf there.  Taking personal possession of the guns after FFL expired is an illegal transfer.  He'd done a few other shady things as well. However I knew where he lived and told if I didn't have a tracking number in an hour that I'd call the ATF.  So he sent them back. I don't see you having the same issue if no one takes over the business.  It took me two years to get my guns back.  I don't think you'll have the same issues. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

The guy who shutdown the FFL.  I tracked him down after he moved from AZ to FL.  I told him I had called AZ ATF field agents and now that I knew he was in FL that I'd call the atf there.  Taking personal possession of the guns after FFL expired is an illegal transfer.  He'd done a few other shady things as well. However I knew where he lived and told if I didn't have a tracking number in an hour that I'd call the ATF.  So he sent them back. I don't see you having the same issue if no one takes over the business.  It took me two years to get my guns back.  I don't think you'll have the same issues. 

was this phil?

On 6/17/2017 at 10:00 PM, vladtepes said:

and situations like this.. are exactly why I am overly paranoid.. 

You're not paranoid if they're actually after you.

46 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I think everyone has a good Phil story...

I don't know who Phil is and I'm glad.

OP, you're in a shitty situation that will some how get worked out.  Good luck.

I woudln't worry too much until you know more. If he does not get better, and worse  case scenario he passed away everything is on his books. Any FFL that goes out of business or the FFL dies  has to be closed out by both the state and federal entities. Best of luck to both of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9X19 said:

I woudln't worry too much until you know more. If he does not get better, and worse  case scenario he passed away everything is on his books. Any FFL that goes out of business or the FFL dies  has to be closed out by both the state and federal entities. Best of luck to both of you.

hopefully he even entered it in his book.. the feedback I am getting makes the situation appear even more sketchy as time goes on... 

If the FFL was honest and running things correctly, it should go a few ways. 

1) They know things are messed up and have time to get their stuff in order. They should contact another ffl and move the inventory onto their books, and you go collect your stuff from them. 

2) They have no time to get their affairs in order. The estate either oversees the transfer of their business, or does the same FFL dance as in #1. You collect your stuff from the appropriate entity. 

3) They kick it with no one to get things in order. Minions of the state will try to sort it out. State laws come into play, because likely first "transfer" from the FFL will be to a law enforcement agency who doesn't necessarily have the legal right to effect transfers to just anyone.