High Exposure

Rep. Steve Scalise shot in Virginia

Apparently Rep. Scalise and some aides where shot this morning by a man with a rifle as they were playing baseball. The gunman was shot and killed by responding police.

I am curious to hear more about the shooter and possible motives. Terrorism? Disgruntled Liberal? Whack job?

Also, note the use of an improvised TQ. Quick thinking by Rep Brooks. If you have Aid Kits stashed in your house/car make sure they have TQs in them and make sure you know how to use them properly.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.amp.html

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was shot in the hip and multiple Congressional aides were hit by a gunman with a rifle who opened fire at a baseball practice in Virginia Wednesday morning, Fox News confirmed. 

At least one aide was shot in the chest.

The gunman was shot by U.S. Capital Police, apprehended and taken to the hospital. Sen. Mike Lee told Fox News, however, the gunman was dead. Rep. Mo Brooks reportedly used a belt as a tourniquet to stop Scalise's bleeding.

"Both @POTUS & @VP are aware of the developing situation in Virginia. Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected," White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tweeted.

Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he left just before the shooting. As he walked to his car, a man asked DeSantis if it was Republicans or Democrats practicing. About three minutes the shooting began, DeSantis said.

The shooting began at 7:15 a.m. and lasted about 10 minutes, sources told Fox News.

"Behind third base, I see a rifle...I hear Steve Scalise over near 2nd base scream," Brooks told CNN.

The shots were reported on East Monroe Street in Del Ray, Alexandria police said on Twitter at 7:30 a.m. The location was near a YMCA.

Scalise, 51, is the House majority whip. He has represented Louisiana’s First Congressional District since 2008 and chairs the House Republican Study Committee. He is married with two children. Scalise's district includes New Orleans.

Since he's in leadership, Scalise has a security detail.

Scalise, who studied computer science at Louisiana State University, worked as a systems engineer before launching his political career. Scalise endorsed President Trump during last year’s presidential campaign, and has been a vocal backer of Trump’s travel ban. As leader of the powerful study group, he has also spearheaded the effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

The Congressional Baseball Game is scheduled for June 15 at Nationals Park. The game, which has been a tradition since 1909, pits Senate and House members of each party who sport the uniform of their home state. The practice location is about 10 miles from Washington, D.C.

This is a developing story; check back for updates. Fox News' Chad Pergram contributed to this report.

Let's see who the shooter was, and what possible motives he had to do this before we fire up the blame-thrower.

Maybe we can keep the politics out of this thread, and post actual news, and keep it in the Gen Discussion and out of 1A forum.

Reports are the shooter asked if these were republicans or democrats practicing

It's hard to ignore that

Btw I see no reason this would be moved

• Like 4

Not good.  Likely a sem-auto rifle.  The term "AR-15" is already being thrown around without facts to that effect. The media will no doubt focus on the gun and less so the shooter.  Even Sen Paul who is being interviewed on Fox mistakenly used the term "automatic" firearm, then quickly corrected himself and said "semi-auto". I can already hear the anti's screaming for more control and vilifying of semi-autos.

Link? What news agency is reporting this? 

Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he left just before the shooting. As he walked to his car, a man asked DeSantis if it was Republicans or Democrats practicing.

Maybe it was coincidence.

• Like 1

Yeah. So far the ignorance is stunning. I'm going to give them a little bit of a break as I bet they aren't used to violence happening in front of them. Their adrenaline is probably pumping and their heart rates are probably north of 200. They just aren't engaging their brains before speaking.

I just hope they don't do more damage with their dumb mouths than the shooter did with his gun.

• Like 2

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html

If you scroll down you will see the part about the shooter asking who was practicing.

Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he left just before the shooting. As he walked to his car, a man asked DeSantis if it was Republicans or Democrats practicing. About three minutes later, at around 7:15 a.m. the shooting began, DeSantis said

I just hope they don't do more damage with their dumb mouths

Don't hold too much hope. They're politicians after all.

I imagine his wound was upper thigh, not hip. Hard to TQ a hip wound.

Was listening to Fox on the drive in. I forget the source but they said the shooter was shot but apprehended and in the hospital. Also mentioned that a man had asked another Rep as he was leaving the park if it was Dems or Repubs.
One rep who was there reported seeing a rifle "behind third plate" and then heard Scalise scream.
The phrase 50/60 shots over 10 minutes was thrown around on air. Not sure if hat was just the shooter or combined shooter and security response.
Again, just what I heard on fox while driving. Can't name their sources off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup Rand Paul stated it was an AR-15.  Could he really tell that when the shooter was by the third base dugout and he was on the other side of the outfield fence.  At least he changed his automatic weapons fire comment to semi-automatic.  But he also stated that 50 to 60 shots were fired before the guy had to reload - I find that questionable at best.   Here come the gun ban cries in ....three.....two............ ARG!

Oh and then they asked Rand Paul if he had security and he said it was better not to discuss things like that.  But in the next sentence he said if the two capitol police officers had not been there they all would have been dead.  To me that says he has no security.  I find it odd that none of these Congressmen nor Senators were carrying either.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Link? What news agency is reporting this? 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html

"Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he left just before the shooting. As he walked to his car, a man asked DeSantis if it was Republicans or Democrats practicing. About 3 minutes later, at around 7:15 a.m., the shooting began, DeSantis said. It reportedly lasted about 10 minutes."

An eyewitness just told CNN that the shooter appeared to originally start shooting about 100 yards away by a concession stand.

He was shot when he tried to change/advance his position.

If it was an "assassination attempt" I would presume that the shooter would be a little better, so I'm leaning towards whacked out nutjob.

I'm VERY happy that nobody was killed, but the shooter essentially had fish in a barrel so it could have been MUCH worse.

30 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

.....are they sure it wasn't the Russians.

Latest reports are they cannot deny Russian Involvement

29 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

An eyewitness just told CNN that the shooter appeared to originally start shooting about 100 yards away by a concession stand.

He was shot when he tried to change/advance his position.

If it was an "assassination attempt" I would presume that the shooter would be a little better, so I'm leaning towards whacked out nutjob.

I'm VERY happy that nobody was killed, but the shooter essentially had fish in a barrel so it could have been MUCH worse.

He might have used a EoTech.

• Like 2

If he was intent on killing a specific person, especially a person with a high-profile, and not random people it is still an assasination attempt. The proficiency of the "assassin"or how well thought out his plan doesn't really matter. 

You can be a "whacked out nut job" and still be an assassin.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

If he was intent on killing a specific person, especially a person with a high-profile, and not random people it is still an assasination attempt. The proficiency of the "assassin"or how well thought out his plan doesn't really matter. 

You can be a "whacked out nut job" and still be an assassin.

If his motive was to kill GOP lawmaker it is an assassination attempt.

• Like 2