I have been dealing with osteoarthritis in both of my hands.  Specifically, the joint where the thumb meets the hand. Over the last 2 years, this has become a significant issue and I frequently experience pain when trying to grip things (e.g. jar lids, racking my Glock slides, weedwacking my lawn, etc.)  I believe the condition stems from 30 years of typing on a computer keyboard and general wear and tear; not my shooting.    While I can and do rack my Glock slides at the range, it is often uncomfortable.  I cannot repeatedly do so at home if I were to, for example, want to practice dry firing.   I also  foresee this becoming an increasing issue as I grow older(am 64 now).  This has piqued my interest in devices that can assist in racking my slides.  There are two in particular that I have purchased that I wanted to share information on.  These are Handi-Racker and P3Racker.  I do realize there are other alternatives such as those that replace the back plate on the Glock slide.  But for now, I do not want to modify my firearms in any way and am interested only in external aids that will work with all of them..

1. HandiRacker (www.handiracker.com):  $27.49 ($19.99+7.50 S&H).  Basically a solid block of polymer into which you insert your slide and push against a solid object(wall, bench, etc.)  The advantages of this design is that it is simple, no moving parts, and will likely last a long time.  I acquired one of these about 6 months ago to fit my Glock 26/19/34.   Have used it at home as well as with a couple of airsoft pistols I have that are as hard to rack as my Glocks.   The main issue I see with these is that I do not think they would be suitable at the range for safety reasons.   It requires you to point the muzzle in a direction other than downrange (e.g. against the table or wall in the shooting port.  I anticipate an RSO not approving of this.   So I would mainly use it at home for dry-firing practice.

2. P3Racker (www.p3racker.com).  $39.95 including Shipping.  I just learned of this device from a recent Guns & Ammo  magazine.  More expensive and more complex construction than the Handi-Racker.  However, nevertheless very well made. I find it is in fact very effective in gripping and easily racking the slide on my Glocks.  Should also be suitable for range use as your hand that is operating it is always behind your firearm.

p.s. on a related note, for the same reasons, I have used a Maglula UpLULA in recent years to load my magazines at the range.  It is indispensable. 

(http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/)

• Like 3

Two things: One, get a revolver - That is the expected answer from me. 

And two, I just read the other day about a device, cleverly called: Cock Bloc, you can Google it. Just another alternative. Two Aleve on the morning of the match do it for me...for now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

the cock bloc is one of the new ones. The other is the pachmayr rack-it. The handiracker has been around a while. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/28/pachmayr-rack-pistol-slide-racking-assist-tool/

Then there's a different rack-it 

http://rack-it.org

OK...I haven't used this product nor am I an experienced shooter... but I thought this next product looked kinda clever.. just a way to made the slide more "grippy". It's called Slide Spider. They have styles to fit a range of guns, so that might not fit OGR's requirement for a universal gadget. It's also a "modification" of sorts, but an inexpensive, self-adhesive one. It's also fairly innocuous-looking IMO (the black ones anyway, against a black finish gun). 

One advantage it has over a racker, I guess... since it's affixed to the gun, you don't have to worry that you forgot to put it in your range bag!  Anyway, perhaps worth checking out for OGR... maybe anyone else with grip issues:  https://www.arachnigrip.com/  - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this and what they thought.

Good thread. A lot of people have weak hands for any number of reasons. My goodness... there's a gadget for every concern in this hobby!!! :D

Wonderful topic. I'm in the same boat. I'm finding it difficult to operate some of my favorite guns. Even the revolvers with heavy DA pulls (I must be more "advanced" than the OP. Will try one of those gizmos.