I finally cleaned my shotgun from the last shoot out. Got sick of listening to Zeke whine.

Instantly remembered why I don't like it .... it's the BALLISTOL !!!

It burns my throat and smells like some weird conglomeration of moldy rye bread, black licorice and ass. 

Need a new plan... what do you guys use? 

• Like 1

For most of my firearm cleaning, I use Ballistol. Also use Hoppes #9, mainly on my shotgun but only in the garage, not in the house due to it's much stronger smell. I also use Ballistol on the exterior of my Glocks metal surfaces and like how it leaves the finish.

While Ballistol does have an odd smell it doesnt stink up the house. Never bothered me in any way.  I don't wear nitrile gloves when using Ballistol.  I do when using Hoppes.

For lubrication after cleaning, I use Hoppes Synthetic Oil in a needle nose small bottle.

Lastly, I use only Slip2000 on my JR Carbine since the manufacturer specifically recommends it.

If I had to pick just one for everything, it would be Ballistol. It is also safe on all finishes including wood, nickel, chrome, etc.

• Like 1

You are correct. It does smell like ass or some disgusting chemical smell.

Been using G96 for decades. Has pleasant smell, (Sort of like a vanilla), and never had a prob with any of my weapons. Cleans, Lubes and Protects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Haven't heard anyone mention Break-Free CLP.  I've used that frequently for years, and it seems to work OK.

(I also use Ballistol and Hoppes at times.)

When I hunt in the rain I soak my whole shotgun in CLP and then wipe it all off and call it good when I get home. It floats out the water pretty well. 

21 hours ago, Mrs.Zeke said:

I finally cleaned my shotgun from the last shoot out. Got sick of listening to Zeke whine.

Instantly remembered why I don't like it .... it's the BALLISTOL !!!

It burns my throat and smells like some weird conglomeration of moldy rye bread, black licorice and ass. 

Need a new plan... what do you guys use? 

:facepalm:

WD40 to clean, Rem Oil to lubricate. Mobil 1 for when thicker oil is needed. No smells. Nothing cleans a barrel better than WD40 if you are not concerned with copper. Just spray it in there to soak a bit. Pay no attention to the WD40 haters!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WD40 will gum up like regular oil if left on a gun for some time.  It is great for what it was designed for...displacing water.  I use it to flush out guns if they've been drenched, submerged, etc.  I then use brakekleen to flush out the WD40 and lube as normal.

What I use for general cleaning:

G96- an old school clp and works well for quick cleans.

Ballistol- on wood stocked guns where you can't remove the metal from the wood easily like lever actions.

Hoppes #9 or GI bore cleaner for solvent.  Hoppes better on lead IMO.

Lube- old formula Break Free with PTFE for general use.  Dr Slide on AR innards.

Protectorant- Break Free

Grease-  only on Garands, Mobil 1.

The lubes and grease I use can be applied, the gun put away, and it's ready to go a year or two later.  No humming or hardening.

I've seen pictures and read what can happen if you use WD-40 and then not use the gun in a while, and I'd never try something like that. default_peep1.gif and I'm out.

.....also, if it gets on the ammo, been known to rot the primers out. (Old hearsay from yester-year)...

3 hours ago, bhunted said:

.....also, if it gets on the ammo, been known to rot the primers out. (Old hearsay from yester-year)...

I tested several lubricants and solvents directly into primed cases some time ago and left to sit for 24 hours.  The only one to kill every primer was WD40. 

• Like 1

I tested several lubricants and solvents directly into primed cases some time ago and left to sit for 24 hours.  The only one to kill every primer was WD40. 

Thanks for the confirmation.
When we use to carry wheel guns years ago...they warned us about WD40 being left in or on weapons. It may clean well. But there are many better solutions these days.

I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

50 years using WD40 to clean guns, no problem:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-46-cleaning-and-lubricating-a-revolver/

WD40 pooled on the primers of loaded ammo for 6 straight weeks, no problem:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-39-oil-vs-primers/

Sure, you hose down a gun with WD40 and never wipe any of it off, let it accumulate in the action and on the moving parts, and do that repeatedly for years and years, letting it build up and never cleaning anything off, as some fudds have done in the past with their deer rifles and and the revolver they keep in their drawer, it will accumulate and gum up everything - as will just about any other product if you slather it on like that.  

I myself for years recoiled in horror at the idea of using WD40 on my guns, because of what I read over and over again on the internet.  WD40 on my guns?  Perish the thought - they will be ruined!  Ruined!!!  

Fear not!  The stuff works great!!