Raven

Loaning handgun to carry in another state?

My wife's going to Colorado on a rural trip, backpacking  through the middle of nowhere where there's no reception what so ever and considering it's a high bear and cougar area we'd both prefer to have her well protected.

Is it legal for her to borrow my handgun to take with her on a plane to Colorado to carry ? We know the CO laws and the "take firearm with you on a plate" regulations, but would NJ give her problems ? I'll be bringing her to the airport if that helps in any way.

Thank you!

I think she would need a P2P so you can transfer it to her. You would then need one to transfer it back to you. A PITA for sure. And all of the paperwork would have to be sent to the NJSP and local PD. I guess this is a good reason to always have active P2P's around.

Oddly transferring to her with the intention of her transferring it back may be considered a straw purchase.   Its worth looking into.   

How about she gets a P2P and you buy her a fun if her own?  Spare pistol is always good.  

2 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Oddly transferring to her with the intention of her transferring it back may be considered a straw purchase.   Its worth looking into.

As long as no money is exchanged it should be fine.

2 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

How about she gets a P2P and you buy her a fun if her own?  Spare pistol is always good.  

Paranoia!

A transfer to a family member who is not a prohibited person with the intention of transferring it back could never be considered a straw purchase.

Under N.J.S. 2C:58-3.1, a legal owner or dealer may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifle or shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older if the sole purpose is for target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition at a firing range. The legal owners must actually be present and, in the case of a firearm dealer, a competent owner for that purpose. The owner or dealer must be on the premises during the entire time that the firearm is in the possession of the person to whom it is temporarily transferred,

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Paranoia!

A transfer to a family member who is not a prohibited person with the intention of transferring it back could never be considered a straw purchase.

Good to know.  

In the old days prior to the interwebs, the husband would just pick a gun from their SHARED, CO-OWNED collection and ship it to the hiking location (like to the Motel Office the wife is using as a "base camp").  Then she'd unwrap the parcel, buy some rounds at the local hardware store & holster-up!  

In an inheritance situation, if the NJ wife is named in the will (and why wouldn't she be?), she could assume ownership of 200 hand guns simultaneously & w/o ANY paperwork.  Then take it with her on the plane OR ship it to herself.  Only the fact that her husband's heart is still beating prevents this from being "legal".  But I betcha dollars-to-donuts it happens ALL THE TIME in Free America!

Sometimes I still yearn for the old days.  Sigh. :)