Sign in to follow this  
mikeyjones

Calling all Long Valley and Mount Olive Residents

Hi Guys - 

We're looking to move so Long Valley and Mount Olive are on our short list.  Wanted to hear first hand how the FID/P2P process is in those towns. 

How long does it take? Does the PD break your balls about getting 3 or more permits? How are extensions? 

All the gory details.

Thanks in advance.

A coworker of mine lives in Long Valley and knows many of the PD there, his permits still took over 2 months. 

I live in Mt. Olive, very 2A friendly police force. To pick up paperwork you just go to the dispatch window which is open 24/7. They do mail all your references and your employer with a questionnaire. Turn around time is give or take 3 weeks. I applied for 3 permits last time because I was purchasing 2 pistols, I've never applied for over 3 but I doubt they would bat an eye. Last time I applied my employer questionnaire must have gotten lost in the mail and about 2.5 weeks in MOPD called me to ask if they received it. He said all the other paperwork was done and just wanted to follow up so he could get everything finished and get me my permits. They faxed it over to me and I faxed it back, three or four days later I had my permits. 

Extensions were easy also, I dropped off my permit at dispatch one evening, said I needed it extended. The morning of the second day they called and said it was ready to be picked up, so about 36hr turn around. 

I'm not sure if you have kids but the school system is excellent also.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. 

Just now, InFamous said:

A coworker of mine lives in Long Valley and knows many of the PD there, his permits still took over 2 months. 

I live in Mt. Olive, very 2A friendly police force. To pick up paperwork you just go to the dispatch window which is open 24/7. They do mail all your references and your employer with a questionnaire. Turn around time is give or take 3 weeks. I applied for 3 permits last time because I was purchasing 2 pistols, I've never applied for over 3 but I doubt they would bat an eye. Last time I applied my employer questionnaire must have gotten lost in the mail and about 2.5 weeks in MOPD called me to ask if they received it. He said all the other paperwork was done and just wanted to follow up so he could get everything finished and get me my permits. They faxed it over to me and I faxed it back, three or four days later I had my permits. 

Extensions were easy also, I dropped off my permit at dispatch one evening, said I needed it extended. The morning of the second day they called and said it was ready to be picked up, so about 36hr turn around. 

I'm not sure if you have kids but the school system is excellent also.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. 

You mentioned employer questionnaire, what exactly is that?  That's not part of the standard paperwork.  

It's the exact same questionnaire they send your reference. Any time I have applied they sent it to whoever I put as my manager and work address. I always have it sent to a 2A friendly coworker. My wife has her own photography business and for employer puts down "Self Employed". She never received anything in the mail for herself. 

I'm not sure why they send it to the employer, I've never asked because for me it's not an issue. If it was, I'd put N/A or something or claim I work for my wife's photography business, which I sort of do. 

2 minutes ago, InFamous said:

It's the exact same questionnaire they send your reference. Any time I have applied they sent it to whoever I put as my manager and work address. I always have it sent to a 2A friendly coworker. My wife has her own photography business and for employer puts down "Self Employed". She never received anything in the mail for herself. 

I'm not sure why they send it to the employer, I've never asked because for me it's not an issue. If it was, I'd put N/A or something or claim I work for my wife's photography business, which I sort of do. 

Stuff like this drives me nuts.  I work for a very large corporation and would rather not discuss anything 2A related with anyone at work.  Nor would I want to have my local PD send documents on official letterhead to my work address.  I'd almost rather wait 3 months for permits than bring my employer into my personal life.  

Guess I'll have to cross that bridge if/when I get there.

3 minutes ago, mikeyjones said:

Stuff like this drives me nuts.  I work for a very large corporation and would rather not discuss anything 2A related with anyone at work.  Nor would I want to have my local PD send documents on official letterhead to my work address.  I'd almost rather wait 3 months for permits than bring my employer into my personal life.  

Guess I'll have to cross that bridge if/when I get there.

Come pull a weed out of my garden and I'll pay you a dollar, there I'm your boss for all intents and purposes. :)

Just now, DeerSlayer said:

I'm lucky, my boss is totally 2A friendly lol...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your boss is a cool guy, just sayin'

• Like 1

Long Valley here.  Not that I'm getting permits often, but most recent time (bout 2 years ago) was ~ 8 weeks, same for time before that (fall 2012), and my initial  FID + permits (2011) were 5 weeks.

Was never a problem asking for 4 permits.  Renewing is as simple as showing up at the PD and asking for a renewal, i've had them done on the spot (15 minutes?), other time I think was overnight since chief was out.

References have been contacted each time, but not sure if they contacted my employer. Never been brought up with me.  Never had any additional forms or extra illegal crap.

Dropping off forms has been any time the clerk is there, but picking up P2Ps is only during specific hours which are fairly restrictive and annoying.

Think that covers everything