Zeke

Aftermarket chokes

I use Carlsons, never a problem, pattern well. Use extended chokes, forget about the ported ones, not worth it, and make sure you lube them before you put them in. I use a light coating of Rig plus P stainless steel grease.

• Like 1

It's hard to mess up a choke tube...

Personally, I stick with OEM, which means Remington. My Ithaca was shortened to about 20", but had it threaded for Remington chokes for compatibility with my hunting shotguns, which I have pretty much most of the common sizes. My KSG uses a SMT Tactical choke adapter... which also uses Remington chokes. Was considering having my IAC 97 and Century PW87 threaded for them... but think I'm going to wait until I get other things squared away (would like to refinish them, as well).

The only shotgun that uses different chokes is my Mossberg SRII, which is my trap gun. Run full and improved modified in it. Think they are Beretta/Benelli chokes. Stock ones were extended, so easy to tighten down. No desire to pick up more.

And I agree... clean and grease them before installing. Saves a lot of headache. If you buy tubes online, get a tube with them.

• Like 1

I run Pure Gold and Briley on my competition shotgun, I really like Pure Gold's extra extended chokes and will transition over to those I think.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on brands but we can all probably agree, extended chokes are the bomb and every shotgun should have a set.  Easy in, easy out, easy to quickly verify what choke you have in the gun and better patterns.  Can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

I run nearly every kind of choke, depending on what I want/need/find at any given time of purchase. I think outside some very specific cases, it doesn't much matter as long as you know your patterns. Most of the ammo I shoot is cheap enough that its own issues will make holes in patterns so spending money on really good chokes seems silly to me, although my one and almost only go to choke (LM, extended) is a Briley figuring that I'm going to use it most I might as well get a nice one. The rest are a mix of whatever I could find on sale, but Glen is right, extended chokes no matter what brand. 

• Like 1