notmetoo

Re-bluing a Smith 15-6

Couple of questions for you all.

I have a S&W 15-6 in need of re-bluing (holster and handling wear primarily). Can anyone give me a ball park figure on what this would cost? Also, I'd appreciate recommendations of places that would do this, preferably within an hour of the Trenton area.

Thanks for your help.

14 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I gotta be honest with you brother, model 15s are easy to find.  Is this gun a safe queen or do you plan on using it for self defense?

Not for SD, that's what my 870 is for. Safe queen and plinking. Also, it's close to what I originally qualified on in the USAF, so "sentimental" value if you will.

5 hours ago, Old School said:

These are the guys I use:

http://www.eastcoastbluing.com/

Nice work, they don't grind them up.  Deep bluing and no spots.  Equal to factory S&W blue.

I have no affiliation and they are just outside of Goshen,NY

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give them a call as well.

Here's a BIG!!! hint.

When you ship a firearm for bluing, if you can strip it to bare components and just send the parts you want blued and you can save money.

On your Smith this means removing the cylinder and crane and strip it.

Strip the frame of all hammer / trigger components and springs reinstall the side plate and screws.

Just sending the parts you want blued.

• Like 1

I've heard good things about S&W redoing it...

Personally, I hate blued finish. It looks good, but it really is just rust that looks good. I like Melonite (it's just black oxide on the surface), and have had good luck with it, but for guns I want to stay looking good, I go with a nickel based plating; CCR's cera-plate or Robar's NP3+. Never did a revolver in cera-plate, but here is my 642-1 in NP3+.

D37BDB77-AC1D-421D-ADD3-DAF9541F05D3_zpspr5kyb4w.jpg

9CBD2613-AB47-42F0-9632-BE0506835A84_zpscglb4hip.jpg

Nickel isn't for everyone, but I feel matte versions look pretty good in most circumstances. Polished... too much upkeep required. Also, wear looks a lot better on nickel than bluing. CCR supposedly did a black plating, but I believe as it wears, the black goes away and the nickel shows through. Robar does a spray on finish over NP3 that is similar.

If it is a gun you are going to shoot, it will wear. Even rebluing or touching up spots will eventually wear again... quicker the more you use it.