Bklynracer

Sunset Hill Shooting Range

Friend wants to go on a road trip to PA. Anybody been to Sunset Hill shooting range in the Poconos.

Can anyone recommend one. Live in Bergen County so don't want to go to far South.

Wants to go outdoor and somewhere that rents so he can try a few pieces. 

Friend wants to go on a road trip to PA. Anybody been to Sunset Hill shooting range in the Poconos.
Can anyone recommend one. Live in Bergen County so don't want to go to far South.
Wants to go outdoor and somewhere that rents so he can try a few pieces. 

I've been there a few times before I really got into shooting.

Place attracts an interesting demographic.

It's very different from other ranges in the sense that you'll always be with a rso. You pay per bullet, and it's really expensive.

Not a huge fan of that place but you can try out a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, mikeyjones said:

It's very different from other ranges in the sense that you'll always be with a rso. You pay per bullet, and it's really expensive.

If am not mistaken, that place really is a tourist trap for NY folks visiting the Poconos, no?

1 hour ago, mikeyjones said:

Thank you for the responses. Any recommendations? Outside and have rentals. 

I haven't been to Sunset Hills in a very long time. This was back in the 90's when they had a 200 yard range. Last I heard the rifle range was downgraded to 30 yards and construction had been ongoing for several years to make it a 100 yard.

Read some of the online reviews below and judge for yourself . .  .

Yelp

FaceBook

Regards,

TokenEntry

I went there my first few months of gun ownership, in 2011. I never rented, so I don't know much about their rental pricing, but I remember that they wanted something like $5 for 10 rds of .22, when bulk ammo was still 4c a shot.

Back then, you paid $25 for a safety briefing, which was good for a year. After that, you paid a small amount per day, maybe $10? each return within that year.  I never had to buy their ammo.

Theres a RSO there the entire time you're there. I feel bad for them, because I once went through 2+ bricks of .22 in a day for my $10 (I usually only went weekdays), and usually went through at least one brick per visit.

As a beginner range for someone not needing to rent, I was happy enough (on weekdays). If I had to rent and buy their ammo, probably wouldnt feel so great about their pricing. No idea how busy they are weekends. And having not been back since 2011/12, can't say if anything changed since then... If you can bring some of your own toys to offset the rental costs, I'd do that.

I do miss their hanging blocks of wood on strings, chipping away at them from the bottom... I had to go to a new lane one day after taking out all nine in my first lane with .22s...

I was there about 8 years ago with my GF at the time and her two sons. Lots of new shooters that come in groups. They are attracted by the ability to rent many different firearms under one roof. I brought my own guns and ammo and we shot at one of the rental ports. I dont remember a RSO standing guard while we were shooting but maybe he was just inconspicuous b/c I was busy being an RSO for my group of people.

The place serves a purpose just like the big local public ranges that feature rentals like RTSP and GFH. If you (or your group) got the urge to shoot guns and dont have any of your own then this is the place for you. Personally, I would never go back b/c of the crowds (which come with a wait time)  and the limited shooting distances.

If you don't *have* to shoot outside then consider going to Gun For Hire in Woodland Park, NJ.  They have a great rental selection.

I last went to Sunset Hill > 5 years ago, so much may have changed since then.  On a Saturday with nice weather at noon time the line of people waiting to rent could be out the door, so recommend going early.  If you rent you will likely will have a Range Officer attending to you the entire time, possibly even loading and unloading magazines/ammunition for you to cut down on your handling of the firearm.

It's a decent place to go for your first time ever shooting; their focus is on the "tourist" rental business.  Once you have your own firearms you'll probably find someplace else you like better.

damn, haven't been there in like 13-14 years. Whenever I got my first rifle, because they had a publicly available 200 yard range. 

They don't appear to have moved, so I wonder what happened to make all the changes they did. The side of a large hill seems to be a pretty solid backstop, and google satellite doesn't shot any development on the hill. 

13 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

If you don't *have* to shoot outside then consider going to Gun For Hire in Woodland Park, NJ.  They have a great rental selection.

I last went to Sunset Hill > 5 years ago, so much may have changed since then.  On a Saturday with nice weather at noon time the line of people waiting to rent could be out the door, so recommend going early.  If you rent you will likely will have a Range Officer attending to you the entire time, possibly even loading and unloading magazines/ammunition for you to cut down on your handling of the firearm.

It's a decent place to go for your first time ever shooting; their focus is on the "tourist" rental business.  Once you have your own firearms you'll probably find someplace else you like better.

Thank you all for the responses. I was going there more for someone else, they wanted to go.  I have my own toys and I'm a member at RSTP have been going for a few years. A friend has a membership at Cherry Ridge. We could go there together if he wants to go outside. Thank you again.