Scorpio64

Talk to me About Two Stage Triggers

So, On my SPR, I did the mil-spec trigger thing for a while (just because), then I upgraded to an ALG ACT and found it meh, then tried BCM's PNT, a little better but still meh.  Both NiB coated triggers promised a 4-5Lb break but in reality they break at about 6.5 to 7.5Lb.  I'm able to get excellent groups with the BCM PNT but it's a lot of work.  A couple of times I even got close to .25 MOA groups, so I know this rifle will shoot.

I have been looking at Del-Ton, Ruger Elite and RRA's $100ish two stage triggers as the budget priced  contenders.  I'm also considering the Giselle G2S if I can catch it on sale.  I really do not want to spend much more than in the $150 range.  If you have experience with any of the triggers I mentioned, or have other suggestions in my price range, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

Which springs are you using with the ACT and PNT, afaik there basically the same thing.... 

The ACT I believe is made by Geissele, and was meant to be nothing more then a smooth GI trigger and lighter pull with the blue? Spring.

I have the ACT trigger, rra 2 stage and a few geissele triggers, I would wait for a SSA to go on sale for about 170... Sounds like your going to end up with one anyway based on your previous purchase history. 

• Like 1

If Geissele is an option, it's the answer. Remember, best value is more important than lowest price.

I had a Geissele SDE trigger in my SPRish rifle. It is outstanding.  

I have 4 or 5 ACT (they are made by Bill Geissele's wife company, ALG). The ACT is just a slicked up MiL spec single stage.

for the money, the ACT is an excellent trigger. However it is nowhere close to an SSA or SDE.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Which springs are you using with the ACT and PNT, afaik there basically the same thing.... 

The ACT I believe is made by Geissele, and was meant to be nothing more then a smooth GI trigger and lighter pull with the blue? Spring.

I have the ACT trigger, rra 2 stage and a few geissele triggers, I would wait for a SSA to go on sale for about 170... Sounds like your going to end up with one anyway based on your previous purchase history. 

I believe all the springs are the same except for the sear spring.  When I called BCM about the trigger pull weight, their solution was to send me heavier sear and hammer springs.  Go figure.

Both the PNT and the ACT were an improvement over the standard mil-spec trigger.  They would have been a huge improvement if they only broke at the advertised pull weight.  The ALG broke like glass with virtually no take up. The BCM has a very slightly longer pull and pulls better but gets very heavy just before it brakes.  I threw the ALG ACT into an M4gery and it works pretty good for that role..

One thing I forgot to mention.  Whatever FCG I end up with has to be close to mil-spec reliability.

I have a Giessle SSA-E trigger in my DMR gun and it's the best 270 or so bucks I've ever spent on a trigger.  You really get what you pay for in this regard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

The ACT is not a 2 stage trigger.

By everything you are saying, you want an Geissele SSA. 

You are probably right about the SSA being the best trigger for my rifle.  If I can get a FCG that's almost as good as the SSA, at half the price, I can live with that.  I'm already waaaaaay over budget on the M16A1 project so I need to cut some corners for a little while.

4 hours ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Geissele G2S or LaRue MBT. The LaRue supposedly is a little better. There are plenty of great single stage triggers too. Rise Armament has a good name, and so does CMC. Elftmann is a little more but supposedly amazing.

i heard problems with the Elftmann from another forum member.  when you adjust for lighter trigger weight he was experiencing light strikes or maybe the trigger wasnt resetting i forget.  he was told to tighten the adjustment screw fully which solved the problem but the he no longer has an adjustable pull weight.

• Like 1

I have a Timney Targa short throw.  I don't have a ton of time on it but what I've done with it, so far, I'm happy.  

I paid less than this for mine but grabbed the first link that popped up.  

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/lower-receiver-parts/trigger-groups/timney-ar-targa-2-stage-trigger-multi-model/

• Like 1

After witnessing many aftermarket triggers self-destruct during training classes - the drop in trigger packs typically being the worst - the Geissele SSA and SSA-E/SDE along with the ALG ACT are the only aftermarket triggers I would put in a social gun. They are the only triggers that I have seen routinely complete classes without failing.

And I would not deviate from Mil-spec springs in a social gun.

Now, that being said, I haven't seen any LaRue or Bravo Company triggers in the wild.

• Like 1

After thinking on this a bit I'm leaning towards the Geissele G2S.  I don't need super fast resets or adjustability. just a decent pull and a clean break between 3.5 and 4 lbs with a first stage that's heavier than the second.  I only do bench, and sometimes prone , and , at 60 to 80 cents a pop for factory match grade otm, I'm not blasting away like I do when I pop off the M855 fodder

Now, I'm also intrigued by the LaRue patience bargain.  Massive savings for a fantastic trigger, if you can wait a few weeks.  I know LaRue has a fantastic reputation, and the trigger is 5 star rated all over, but I'll admit I'm concerned it is not up to mil spec reliability. 

I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if the G2S goes on sale anywhere, and if not I'll just buy it from whomever has the best deal. 

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

After thinking on this a bit I'm leaning towards the Geissele G2S.  I don't need super fast resets or adjustability. just a decent pull and a clean break between 3.5 and 4 lbs with a first stage that's heavier than the second.  I only do bench, and sometimes prone , and , at 60 to 80 cents a pop for factory match grade otm, I'm not blasting away like I do when I pop off the M855 fodder

Now, I'm also intrigued by the LaRue patience bargain.  Massive savings for a fantastic trigger, if you can wait a few weeks.  I know LaRue has a fantastic reputation, and the trigger is 5 star rated all over, but I'll admit I'm concerned it is not up to mil spec reliability. 

I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if the G2S goes on sale anywhere, and if not I'll just buy it from whomever has the best deal. 

I have two new MBT's, and I only plan on using one for now. If you live near me I'd be happy to give you my trigger and you can order one from LaRue and wait a bit to give it back to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

After witnessing many aftermarket triggers self-destruct during training classes - the drop in trigger packs typically being the worst - the Geissele SSA and SSA-E/SDE along with the ALG ACT are the only aftermarket triggers I would put in a social gun. They are the only triggers that I have seen routinely complete classes without failing.

And I would not deviate from Mil-spec springs in a social gun.

Now, that being said, I haven't seen any LaRue or Bravo Company triggers in the wild.

What is a social gun? 

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

Whelp, @ $109- I had to jump on it.  DPMS charged me sales tax, not sure what that's all about but the price is good enough to overlook that.  They had me at "combat trigger".  mil-spec reliability is the cat's ass.

Thanks for the link Silverado!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Whelp, @ $109- I had to jump on it.  DPMS charged me sales tax, not sure what that's all about but the price is good enough to overlook that.  They had me at "combat trigger".  mil-spec reliability is the cat's ass.

Thanks for the link Silverado!

I just ordered one myself. Thanks for that link too Silverado.

I also emailed them about the sales tax charge which was 7.5%. If they indeed have a NJ presence and must charge me tax, it's the wrong rate. If I hear from them I'll post it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I just ordered one myself. Thanks for that link too Silverado.

I also emailed them about the sales tax charge which was 7.5%. If they indeed have a NJ presence and must charge me tax, it's the wrong rate. If I hear from them I'll post it up.

DPMS is owned by the Remington parent conglomerate.  I think they do bidnez here in NJ.

The good news is that we live in the golden age of triggers. You can get pretty much whatever fits you best, but the problem you have is deciding what that is. Personally I prefer single stage triggers, but that is me and my needs.

However, if you shoot a lot, triggers should be considered wear parts. Even Geissele's triggers will wear out, I know as I've had to send one back to them and they replaced it.

I received the order document from Remington this morning, so Scorpio was right.

They did charge me the correct sales tax, on the item cost + shipping. (109.99 + 10) * 1.06875% = $128.24 total.

Well, it was still a good price on the trigger. 

Received the G2S yesterday (6/26), installed this morning.  I think I am going to like this trigger.  The first stage is lighter than I expected, very little travel.  The second stage is zero anything other than a clean break.  No creep, no grit, no mush, just a snappy click.

I guess I'll have two range reports to give now.  I'll be testing the G2S and test firing and zeroing the M16A1 this weekend.  Good times. :D