capt14k

The Cost of Youth Sports Particularly Manalapan Soccer Club

I know there are a few members here from Manalapan. I have posted about this on the Manalapan Facebook Pages but a certain supposed Pro 2A member of this forum is Anti 1A and feels it is ok to censor and delete posts on his Facebook Group Manalapan Residents. So I am posting here with permission in the hope others share through their own social media and interactions.

Manalapan Soccer Club (MSC) decided a week before tryouts this season to force an outside training organization called GPS on all travel teams U8-U12. There was a meeting at which very few questions were answered. However it was clear what the costs would be. For my younger daughter it would cost $2,300 to continue playing travel soccer in Manalapan, or $34,500 for the team. Her and her entire team decided to leave Manalapan for Millstone where it is costing us $500 each for the season. It is a shame it even has to cost that much for a game that can be played in the Barrios of Brazil with a ball of tape.

This decision to force GPS on the families of Manalapan was made by the Executive Board of MSC. This amounts to 4 members. When confronted their answer to many was you have a choice play somewhere else. Many did. A club that used to have 22 Teams U8-U12 now has 10 and no 2006 U12 Girls Team.

Now it has come to my attention that not only is the cost ridiculous to play soccer in Manalapan it costs more in Manalapan for the same GPS Program than it does in Marlton or Mantua (Clearview). For the U11 & U12 boys and girls it costs $500 more in Manalapan than Marlton for the same exact thing, and $150 more in Manalapan than Mantua. However in Mantua they get 3 training sessions a week vs 2 in Manalapan. That is 90hrs of paid training vs 60hrs of paid training over the course of the season. There are also 4 additional tournaments which cost on average $900 for a team to enter. Each tournament is 4 games. That is an additional 24hrs of a paid trainer on top of the 30hrs of training sessions or 54hrs more paid training over the course of the season.

There is only two explanations why the cost is more in Manalapan. Either the executive board cut side deals for themselves, or they did a poor job negotiating. Either way it is the families of Manalapan who suffer.

The MSC is a private non-profit organization, however they receive tax payer dollars in the form of $1 yearly field rentals. If they are going to act like a for profit organization, and force parents to spend thousands a year with a for profit organization, then they should be paying fair value for the field rentals.

Below is a cost comparison between GPS in Mantua, Marlton, and Manalapan.

The MSC initially replied to me with a lie that Marlton and Mantua are subsidizing the costs of the GPS program. I know this is a lie because I contacted both towns and they are not subsidizing the costs. Why would the soccer club lie? What do they have to hide?c34c867e5db41aeeb5188160b32dfef2.jpg9092fcab071041ca50dd4f782d66557a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If the players and their families don't want this, the exodus will stop it.  If enough players and their parents do want this and you don't, moving on is the right thing to do.     

Agreed the exodus will end the club. However the bigger problem is why is it costing so much more in Manalapan than other towns? Are people lining their pockets? Why should the club benefit from tax payers with the use of free fields while an outside organization is profiting?

MSC is a non-profit 503c organization it seems the non-profit lines are being blurred yet again. If MSC and GPS want to partner and profit that's fine with me as long as they pay $60/hr for field rentals or whatever the going rate is. Not the $1/yr they are currently paying. Also they need to refile as a for profit organization.

Sportika built their facility on land they own. They charge the same as MSC/GPS but again they offer 3 training sessions per week plus in the Winter indoor training on a soccer field, not a basketball court in a school gym which costs a lot less to rent. They are a for profit organization. Their rates should be nowhere near the same.

I am against the money grab that has taken over all youth sports. The townships are supposed to be where the children who can't afford pseudo academies and academies can play soccer at a competitive level at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem like a problem to me.  If you like it - participate.  If you don't - move on.  I don't see any benefit to worrying about things I don't control.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Taxpayers are losing out while a private Corporation GPS is profiting huge and IMO certain board members are enriching themselves personally as well.

Do the math average of $1900/player with avg of 15 players per team that is $28,500 per team multiple that by 10 teams that is $285,000.

Most trainers that work for these type of organizations make $20/hr. They are providing a trainer for 30 sessions and 50 games at 1.5 hrs each. That is 120 hours they pay a trainer for, $2,400 per team, $24,000 for 10 teams. They rent a school gym for 10 sessions and 5 games at $50 each that's $750 per team or $7,500 for 10 teams. They pay for 4 tournaments because the 5th is held by Manalapan and is free that's another $3,600 per team or $36,000 for 10 teams. They pay ref fees for 15 games at $100 that's $1,500 per team or $15,000. Their total costs are $82,500 for the 10 teams.

They don't pay insurance that is covered by the club and the registration fee of $200 players must pay in addition to GPS, they don't pay for fields since MSC has their $1/yr rental agreement with the town.

GPS will make $200,000 just off the 10 Teams left in Manalapan. 2 years ago there were 22 Teams. If there still was they would be making over $400,000. While the taxpayers who have paid for the fields at the Rec Center and the schools get nothing. In fact those with children that want to play competitive soccer get less than nothing. They get to travel to another town for their child to play at a reasonable cost.

44 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

Doesn't seem like a problem to me.  If you like it - participate.  If you don't - move on.  I don't see any benefit to worrying about things I don't control.

When an organization is "non-profit", it does raise issues.  This is a club issue and a town issue.

If this was a pure for profit organization, it is a simple take it or leave it.

I know we have a bunch of members in the manalapan area, so this is a good PSA as well.

Yes, if members of an organization don't like something they can join the board, but that is not an excuse for the board, especially 4 people, to make frivolous purchases, that they may not be paying for themselves.

Unfortunately the parents would do anything for their kids so it is a very tough choice to pull them out of a group they like with lots of their friends.  Try explaining $2300 is a lot of money to a 10 year old.

Maybe a stupid question, but does Manalapan recruit and offer reduced fees for what they perceive as "top talent"? 

No they do not. GPS does recruit top talent for their state, regional, and national teams however you have to pay extra for that.

Manalapan Soccer Club is supposed to be a non-profit in town club. They are trying to compete with Sportika which is a pseudo academy. A lot of that has to do with personal issues between executive board members and Sportika because MSC feels Sportika stole entire teams. They didn't steal anything. Parents that want to get ripped off chose to go there. Parents of children who are top talent go to real academies like Cedarstars, Red Bulls, and PDA.

MSC receives taxpayer benefits. Sportika does not. MSC is supposed to be a reasonably priced option for the children of Manalapan. In order for them to receive the taxpayer benefits 85% of teams must be Manalapan Residents.

Soccer moms are the worst.

Most soccer parents are terrible and delusional.

For boys the odds are better playing the lottery than them getting a soccer scholarship. Universities spend on football and basketball. Only because of Title 9 do girls get scholarships for sports other than basketball. Schools are not giving out boys soccer scholarships. However that is what most of these parents think they are going to get for the money they spend. It was GPS sales pitch. Last year in their entire program in 23 states exactly 1 Boy got a Scholarship for Soccer.

Even Penn State University the #1 Wrestling Program in the country, with the greatest American Wrestler ever running it, only gives enough scholarships for just over half the starters.

Capt, this town is full of people that will swindle other people for whatever cash they can make.   These leagues are money makers for the people involved.  It's not surprising that they are looking to increase their revenue take.  Little League and Travel Baseball is no different. Maybe worse.   The original purpose of these sports league was to keep kids occupied in something positive and away from the crap that will lead them down the wrong path.  Now... it seems the purpose of these leagues... dance competitions...whatever.. is to make a group of people a whole lot of money.  I have no problem with someone running a business and making money.  But the gouging is a bit much.  If people are willing to pay and they feel they are getting something that worth their money... fine.  But if the price is starting to look like gouging to too many people, their cash cow will die.

On the other hand, to do this with kids sports leagues is a little slimy imho.  A little....

You seem to have all the evidence. Why not take it to the Mayor's office. Unless the guys who run MSC are related to or are buddies with him. Have a reporter at NJ.com or other news agency create a juicy investigative journalism story. The thing about NJ is that we expect to pay more for everything, and just roll over(or bend over) and pay. More people have to do what you did and investigate exactly why it costs so much and where all this money is going?

That's the problem Kevin is it will die. Then there will be nothing for the kids. All while a few adults profit. As I said if they want to profit refile as corporation and pay fair market value for field rentals or go elsewhere.

Thankfully the in town wrestling program has been restarted. That is another sport being destroyed by all this private clubs popping up. Some kids are being priced out of sports. Ultimately it will lead to more idle children, and idle bored children is good for no one.

You seem to have all the evidence. Why not take it to the Mayor's office. Unless the guys who run MSC are related to or are buddies with him. Have a reporter at NJ.com or other news agency create a juicy investigative journalism story. The thing about NJ is that we expect to pay more for everything, and just roll over(or bend over) and pay. More people have to do what you did and investigate exactly why it costs so much and where all this money is going?

That is the next step. Taking it to the Recreation Department, Town Council, Mayor, and Media if need be. Only one of the 4 have any pull in town, which is strong, but I've been here all my life and have made a few friends myself.

Here is the result of greedy adults ruining kids sports because enough parents said no we won't pay $2,300 for my child to play soccer there are those who now have nowhere to play soccer.

311c92dffb9f9f1e36fd513ef1ec6ae2.jpg

I'm laughing coming across this topic

as someone who played for manalapan soccer club 20 years ago, and refereed there in my teen years, I can assuredly tell you someone is making money. There is absolutely no reason to "mandate" that price of "training" (99% of these training companies are horrendous and know nothing). I watched that club give good people the run around and drive out coaches they didn't like. The idea they think they now exist to compete with academies is laughable

the fact is, no town travel team is good. They exist for glorified recreation. If you're kid is actually good, as someone mentioned above, they will go to a proper academy with former professional players who are paid to coach them in a for profit structure. 

This is just government goons abusing free resources to compete in a for-profit environment with none of the for-profit risk or expenses (bankruptcy, field use, etc) 

do what everyone else is saying - take your kids and run away. If they aren't taking soccer seriously, there are dozens of clubs within a 10-15 minute drive that you can join that won't give you the politics manalapan did , and apparently still does. I've since moved back near to the area and my kids will never play there 

Non school travel teams for kids (6-18) sports are a huge waste of time and money, IMHO.  Have a tournament in the town and pick the best one to send to regionals or whatever, or have ONE all star team that goes to tournaments. Kids football might be an exception, as there is never enough kids to make a couple teams even in the biggest towns.