JHZR2

M14 Variants - Springfield best bet?

Given that the NJSP specifically designates the M1A from Springfield Armory as acceptable, is it the best bet to buy one of those vs a James River or one of the ones from the outfit on Long Island?

Maybe its overthinking, but it seems it may create less issue in future years... or not.  Time will tell. 

Im not the most enamoured with SA right now, including rumors that some parts may not be US made.  James River I suspect may be the better product. 

Im not looking for a "SOCOM" version.

Thoughts? 

I've had a Springfield M1a Scout (and a SOCOM) for several years and they've been fine in terms of performance and reliability. I took the advice of a couple of guys and have keep spare bolt parts in my range bag for both (extractor, springs, etc) but have never had to use any of them. I loved the Scout right out of the box. I didn't like the poly stock on the SOCOM, so I ended up changing it out for a walnut stock which made a world of difference.

If your just going to take the gun to the range for fun, then I think that the SAI models are fine. If you're going to compete with the gun then it may make more sense to look into James River or Fulton Armory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for an earlier M1A... I got an early 1990s N/M gun (locally) that had less than 50 rounds through it for less than what one goes for new. Doesn't sound great, but was built on USGI parts, which are definitely superior than current SAI parts.

Check out M14 Forum. Loads of info, and a few local members (where I found my rifle).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By SheriffOfficer1727
      Springfield XD40 for sale with (6) 10 round magazines. This pistol has never been fired despite having some scratches and abrasions from various optics I have taken on and off of the rails. Original case NOT included.
      Willing to travel to any northern or central region gun dealer for transaction.
      $450.00
      First person to write "I'll take it" will win the sale.

• By remixer
      New In Box
      TRP™ Operator® Black Armory Kote™ w/ Full Length Integral Accessory Rail .45ACP
      $1550.00 Plus NJ Nics and NJ Tax

Caliber: .45ACP
      Recoil System: 1 Piece N.M. Full Length Guide Rod
      Sights: Fully Adjustable, 3-Dot Tritium
      Weight: (with Empty Magazine) 45oz
      Height: 5.7"
      Slide: Forged Carbon Steel, Black Armory Kote™
      Barrel: 5 inch Stainless Steel Match Grade Bull
      Length: 8.6"
      Grip: Type Black G-10
      Frame: Forged Carbon Steel, Black Armory Kote™ , With Full Length Accessory Rail
      Magazines: 2 - 7 Round, Stainless Steel w/ Slam Pads
      MSRP: $1,730.00
      The TRP™ series of 1911s from Springfield Armory® are serious tools for the most serious of applications. These tactically proven pistols are intentionally designed to work under the worst conditions you’ll encounter. You’ll find all the quality, features and performance that you need in a 1911 of this class.
      TRP™ level quality starts with the forged national match frame and slide. These are precision fit and then mated with a match grade stainless steel barrel and bushing. The 20LPI checkering on the front strap, checkered mainspring housing and G10 grips will keep this gun in your hands when the sweat and adrenaline are flowing. The crisp 4.5 – 5lb trigger pull means you can more easily put shots on target when it matters most. 3-Dot tritium sights and an extended beveled magazine will remind you that the TRP™ was designed for use in high stress places – where the environment works against target acquisition, and mag swaps have to be lightning fast. The Armory Kote™ or Stainless Steel finish will protect your TRP™ so it’s ready for the next mission.
      Sometimes performance isn’t optional. When your requirements dictate that you use the best tools available, reach for the Tactical Response Pistol™.
    • By NJturtlePower
      So now that I got the drama of my 9-week wait for my FID + PP  out of the way it's research and 1st gun time! 
      The #1 on my list right now is the Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 5" Tactical model in 9mm. Anybody own or have shot one? Obviously this will only be a range non-carry gun, so I think it would make a good start to the hobby.
      Would love to hear personal feedback as my opinion and direction so far is based on online pro reviews as well as YouTube videos.
      Here's the official product page: CLICK HERE
      Prices online are in the $500 range, available in all black or SS slide, 9mm 10-rd mags for the NJ compliant versions. Model numbers are XDG9401B (Black) XDG9401S (Stainless).
      Currently through the Springfield Promo you can get 4 Free Mags / Double Mag Pouch & Holster with ANY Springfield 9mm, 40S&W or 45ACP purchase.
      Promo Details: HERE
      Anyways just putting feelers out there...Thanks Guys! 

• By szebrows
      I'm looking for a long range gun I can use for target practice.

I'm interested in the M1A standard version with a VLTOR modstock: http://www.vltor.com/socom.htm

Does this have 2 "evil features"?  A telescoping stock and pistol grip?   I'd have to have the stock pinned, correct?
      I am unsure if the M1A has a threaded barrel or flash hider standard.

• By medic2264
      http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/rockola-m-14/m14f-receiver-detail.html

While surfing the net last night I found this.  I wish I knew about it a month ago when they were on sale for black Friday.  So far they have been getting good reviews from the guys that have built them up.  

http://m14forum.com/m14/151573-rockola-completed-pics.html

http://m14forum.com/m14/151039-rock-ola-heel-stamps-post-em-here.html

The "M14S" is banned in NJ by name, regardless if you remove the bayonet lug.  Any FFL holders think since the receiver is marked "M14F" it would not be on the banned list?