Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Car Repair - Tool Kit Recommendation

Our 2009 Honda Civic is aging and needs frequent repairs. Next up is to replace AC Compressor Clutch and rear drum brakes. I inherited some odd, old tools when we purchased home but tired of guessing & diving through pile of things to find right wrench, socket etc. 

Any recommendation on a toolkit that comes with commonly used sockets, wrenchs etc and be able to reach remote areas etc ? Appreciate it.  

PS: you can tell, I am not mechanically inclined. 

I have various Craftsman tools, including socket sets and wrenches, which have served me well over the years. I don't do a lot on my cars, but for all my uses, I have been happy.

Craftsman tools are decent - better quality than the super cheap stuff like Harbor Freight, and since Im not using em constantly, I don't need Snap On quality either.

There may be some good fathers day deals still this week on say a mechanics type tool kit at sears or maybe similar kits at home depot/lowes. Harbor freight only has sales on days that end in 'Y'.

I know harbor freight is always advertising cheap kits, but most of their cheaper stuff I consider throwaways - use a couple times before it gets damaged. Nothing worse than a tool you need breaking halfway through a job.  Maybe their higher end stuff will last, maybe not, up to you if the savings are worth it. If you do go, look for 20% off coupons, may as well save $ if you go that route. 

Check out 8th gen civic for a ton of diy write ups. The forum is kind of dead but the information is vast and excellent. How many miles on the civic? What issues did you have? I just picked up an 08 Si with 69k on it and it's been great so far besides a caliper seizing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

Check out 8th gen civic for a ton of diy write ups. The forum is kind of dead but the information is vast and excellent. How many miles on the civic? What issues did you have? I just picked up an 08 Si with 69k on it and it's been great so far besides a caliper seizing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. Thats where I usually got for any repair tips. And youtube ofcourse. Recent issue is with AC not running. Had dealer check it out. Apparently, the relay and clutch needs replacement. Replaced the relay but still no go. Next up is replacing the clutch mechanism on compressor. 

23 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Thanks both. Any thoughts on this.... (seems similar to the lowes set) ?  I have sears points I can use. 

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P

That's a good kit too. My buddy has had that exact same kit for 17 years.

craftsman makes a nice basic kit. it's decent, but not snap on or matco quality.

if you're replacing the compressor clutch, spend the extra couple bucks and replace the entire compressor, accumulator, and expansion valve.

18 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

craftsman makes a nice basic kit. it's decent, but not snap on or matco quality.

if you're replacing the compressor clutch, spend the extra couple bucks and replace the entire compressor, accumulator, and expansion valve.

LT, thought about that but it will be beyond my DIY as the AC system need to be emptied and refilled. Local tech quoted about $1000 parts & labor. 

7 hours ago, jackandjill said:

LT, thought about that but it will be beyond my DIY as the AC system need to be emptied and refilled. Local tech quoted about $1000 parts & labor. 

yea, that's about right to do those three items. i only suggest that as you normally need to remove the compressor in order to properly replace the clutch anyway

Opened the wheel to get the compressor and it is in the tricky stop to get the clutch out easily.  Put it wheel back and start the car & AC.. .. and I see clutch now engaging and cold air blowing. It was cooler in the morning when I did the test.

Wondering if something else is going on or its just randomly worked that one time. 

On 6/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, Zeke said:

Intermittent electrical... good luck.

Looks like I stumbled on the diagnosis. I was trying to figure if it was electrical or mechanical. Someone suggested I try to nudge the clutch while AC was on. I tried to push it with a thin steel rod and the metal was sticking to the clutch. Then it occurred to me that the clutch operates on induced magnetism. AC off, no current in the coil, no sticky. AC on, current in the coil, sticky but no engage. 

So looks like its not electrical and that dam* clutch is broken. On to shopping for a repair shop. 

On 6/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, jackandjill said:

Opened the wheel to get the compressor and it is in the tricky stop to get the clutch out easily.  Put it wheel back and start the car & AC.. .. and I see clutch now engaging and cold air blowing. It was cooler in the morning when I did the test.

Wondering if something else is going on or its just randomly worked that one time. 

shit......based on what you've typed above. go buy an a/c relay. it's small. it's in the underhood power distribution block. it'll most likely be labeled mg relay on the legend. next time it stops working, swap in the new relay. they're crazy common to go bad in hondas.

i thought you'd already done some testing.

when i get done eating, i'll partially hijack your thread with my current intermittant electrical nightmare, lolol

9 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

shit......based on what you've typed above. go buy an a/c relay. it's small. it's in the underhood power distribution block. it'll most likely be labeled mg relay on the legend. next time it stops working, swap in the new relay. they're crazy common to go bad in hondas.

i thought you'd already done some testing.

when i get done eating, i'll partially hijack your thread with my current intermittant electrical nightmare, lolol

Relay is the first thing I replaced. A magnetized, but disengaged clutch indicate that relay (and other electrical / sensor systems) are working and its really mechanical issue with clutch moving enough to engage ?  My understanding of relays is that they either on or off, not partially sending current. If its stuck closed, I should see clutch magnetized all the time. If its stuck open, I should never see clutch magnetized. Isnt it ?

There is also lot of talk about how common for these clutches to go bad on certain year/model of Hondas (8th gen specially). Apparently there are spacers inside the clutch that keep certain gap. Overtime, those tolerances go whack and clutch wouldn't engage. 

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

Relay is the first thing I replaced. A magnetized, but disengaged clutch indicate that relay (and other electrical / sensor systems) are working and its really mechanical issue with clutch moving enough to engage ?  My understanding of relays is that they either on or off, not partially sending current. If its stuck closed, I should see clutch magnetized all the time. If its stuck open, I should never see clutch magnetized. Isnt it ?

There is also lot of talk about how common for these clutches to go bad on certain year/model of Hondas (8th gen specially). Apparently there are spacers inside the clutch that keep certain gap. Overtime, those tolerances go whack and clutch wouldn't engage. 

could then be weak clutch coil. or the air gap's too big

my fun one......2011 ford transit connect. towed in. symptoms exactly duplicate bad alternator.

go to charge battery....it's good. and i got battery voltage at the alt too. inside vehicle, nothing. no dash, fan, dome light, radio....and of course no crank. most fuses got full bat. voltage. couple only 9v. during testing, everything "woke up" and the van started. ran perfectly for 2 weeks as i drove the thing all over the place. day the come to pick it up.....same shit.

testing today.......it started till i turned on everything inside...then acted like bad alt again. 'cept i was watching it charge perfectly on a voltmeter.

gonna drag this thing to ft dix n let em hit it with big munitions, lolol

• Like 1

The the OP's tool question, I've been a fan of Craftsman tools for decades.  Have 4 full double chests of more Craftsman stuff than I can recall.  That said, the newer hand tools just aren't the same quality any more.  For example, the wrenches all used to say "Forged in the USA".  Now? - Yup, China, and the look and feel is cheaper.  

I believe Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Black & Decker.  No idea what that will mean over time.  The warranty is still supposed to be lifetime but the last time I tried to use it the salesman refused.  Apparently there are different stages of "broken".  

The Home Depot "Husky" brand and Lowes "Kobalt" seem to be comparable to what Craftsman is today, just not the same selection.   No experience with hand tools from Harbor Fright.

My $.02.  

To close on this topic. Enlisted a friend who does heavy machinery and got the AC clutch change done. Was PITA finding proper tool & working with snap rings, but went ok otherwise. Didn't open AC system and saved a bit. And AC is now running cool.   

Thanks everyone. 

Home Depot and Lowe's both have nice prices on husky/kobalt/Stanley stuff that's more than good enough for home use. Having it all in a nice blow molded case makes it easy to find and sort.

I'd avoid Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) as it's junk and you're barely saving any money. And Sears sells very nice tools but I'd be wary for warranty or return purposes as the company could very well be gone in a few years.

To echo another poster above, I took a Craftsman ratchet that broke to Sears, guy wouldn't give me a new one because I didn't have proof of purchase. On their brand.....Guess you're supposed to keep receipts for ten years?

I have mostly Craftsman tools at home. Old ones when they were not junk like they are now. I have an older Craftsman tool chest I have had since the 80's; then purchase another one a few years ago. Night and day in the build quality and metal gauge thickness. Shame. 

Anywho, I carry something similar to this in my truck for emergencies. Decent quality Stanley tools and the get the job done. No issues with them.

http://www.sears.com/stanley-97-543-150-piece-mechanics-socket-and/p-00946333000P?sid=isx20140327xdsa&psid=601x42708&knshCrid=197904171817&k_clickID=b65707ef-bd3a-449d-af39-cfadbb0f1dfb&gclid=CPbR5f2q_NQCFdiLswodD8AM6Q

S.