Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

The answer is crayons.

10 days ago I landed in Salt Lake City at 2am.  We picked up the rental Suburban, and the Hertz employees were going home.

The next day in the light, we noticed an 18 inch long scratch, through the maroon paint into the bright yellow plastic in the bumper.   Even had I noticed 7 hours prior there would have been no one to tell.  The girl handed me the keys, grabbed her bag and left.

I stopped at the walmart in Cody wy, picked up a pack of crayons and blended a nice purple crayon into the scratch and it matched almost perfectly.   I opted for the 24 colors, I didn't want to cheap out :)

Turned it in an hour ago, no one noticed.  This has been a public service announcement.   

• Like 7

Worked for a hotel.  We kept the rooms looking nice for guests.  We had a rolling cart with the tools we'd use to do a monthly "preventive maintenance" on each room.  We had all the regular tools for fixing leaks, replacing bulbs, tightening screws, etc.

We had a small air brush with all of the room's paint colors in little jars.  We would do touch up paint with the air brush because you could feather it out so nobody could tell.

We kept caulk on the cart in the same color as the wall paper.  If we couldn't order caulk in that color, we had paint custom mixed in that color and mixed it with white caulk in a cup.  Sometimes wallpaper seams open up and a little caulk, spread with the finger makes that disappear.

We had an epoxy repair kit to fix the edges of the kitchen or bathroom counter tops.  Guests like to open beer bottles on them and they're always getting chipped.

We also had a set of these furniture touch up crayons in several wood finish colors.  Scratches or chips in wood go away when colored in crayon.

It's just an illusion.

8 hours ago, Zeke said:

The earth tones work well for " stain grade" trim.

Now look, you got me giving up secrets also.

Or a hardwood floor in an apartment that you just moved out of.............got the security deposit back no problem 

Old Tip: If you don't have the new stain pens handy, before they were even around decades ago, everyone always had Iodine in the medicine cabinet. Touches up wood scratches beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

Old Tip: If you don't have the new stain pens handy, before they were even around decades ago, everyone always had Iodine in the medicine cabinet. Touches up wood scratches beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoe polish will too.

• Like 1

After i gave up my business I putzed for a few yrs with a co that that did apt/condo/office maint. All the above tricks and more, got pretty good at sculpting Durhams wood putty and joint compound lol. Seems like the co motto was "caulk it'. About the only things we didnt trick out was electric and plumbing. no quick fixes for them, safety first. Also learned a bit on codes. We even had to use plastic screws on the switch/outlet plates near water, those little screws were like gold, always getting lost. Had enough fun with 4-8" sewer mains for more than a lifetime, yuk.

3 hours ago, bdhszy1 said:

I know someone who was moving out of an apartment and was told he could not get his security deposit back until the nail holes in the drywall were spackled. I didn't know colgate made spackle.

And it has a minty fresh scent, too!