Barms

For those that have home video DVR security

Just had cameras and DVR installed.  Installer coming back in a couple of days to walk me through it.  I thought I could figure out features on my own.   Here are my questions:

is the system not in constant record mode?  For say a week or month?  Why can't I just play back something from ten minutes ago?  Does it only record motion?

i previously had something similar to Nest it was constant recording.  All I had to do was just scroll back the bottom curser to see something.  

My optimal strategy would be to have it for a couple of days constant but also save motion saved in a folder. 

I have several HikVision systems. It is true that you can't go back immediately like 2 minutes ago to see what just happened. I think the system is compiling the video into a high efficiency codex for higher Rez. That takes time. In my system, you are seeing a lower Rez version of what gets recorded. Especially on the mobile app. Have you used the desktop app? 

So there is a lag when you go back. It's frustrating when a motion light goes on and you want to see what triggered it. 

You have spurred me into calling the company I use and discussing this little annoyance I've dealt with for years. 

As for the motion detection, you can't have both. It's a real time function. 

A tip, spiders wreak havoc with the IR and the motion detecting. Clean then well and spray them with home defense or they become useless at night. 

8 minutes ago, Barms said:

Just had cameras and DVR installed.  Installer coming back in a couple of days to walk me through it.  I thought I could figure out features on my own.   Here are my questions:

is the system not in constant record mode?  For say a week or month?  Why can't I just play back something from ten minutes ago?  Does it only record motion?

i previously had something similar to Nest it was constant recording.  All I had to do was just scroll back the bottom curser to see something.  

My optimal strategy would be to have it for a couple of days constant but also save motion saved in a folder. 

I have such a system that I installed myself.  A good system will let you choose the recording mode (i.e. "constant," or "on motion detection," or "no record").  Mine even lets me make those choices for each camera.  How much can be recorded depends on the size of the hard drive in the DVR  box.  There should also be an option in the system as to what to do when the hard drive is at full capacity.   In my system, I can either "overwrite" the oldest recordings, and just keep overwriting constantly, or it can stop recording until I decide what to do (ie.  delete the whole disk and start over, or off load some recordings, etc.).

You should be able to view what was just recorded (i.e. within maybe 2 minutes of it being recorded). It all depends on the software. 

I recommend you go "motion detection" only. There is no need to record and sift through all that footage for something when you're really searching for it. And it saves on hard drive space.

Hope that helps. :)

I'm using the Hikvision.   I can't even find the wiods "motion detection" on the iPhone app.   I don't have the desktop link yet.  

Okay so it seems like indeed I can't have both constant record plus motion stored in folders.  I'll hae to digest that.   As far as "why would you want to have to playback hours of nothing to find an event".  Because with Nest/Simplicam as you scroll back the scroll has highlighted colors where there was motion.  

Also,  I've had motion for 4 years on the Nest.  What i have learned that if the "motion" was far away or in a corner the recording eventually stops even though there is still activity.   This solved the before after buffer problems. 

Also.  On an indoor camera,  people having a conversation does not set off motion to records.   I have played back conversations being able to scroll back that would not have been picked up on motion only.  

[mention=5135]bhunted[/mention] [mention=5054]Barms[/mention]

As John has said....make sure there post event trigger recording schedule is set.

It is worth noting the following....

If your cameras are indoors you can use motion detection relatively easily with ore post event trigger recording to save space.....if you are outside not so....u kind of have to go 24/7.......unless u are using an analytic.

Also learned awhile ago. Aim low or set an area. Ceiling fans will screw with your mind. Lol. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Also learned awhile ago. Aim low or set an area. Ceiling fans will screw with your mind. Lol. emoji57.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So will spiders, and other fauna when the camera is outdoors We  have a lot of salamanders, etc.and even wasps that are attracted to the infrared light at night.  A good system will allow you to block out certain areas of the cameras viewing grid such that it won't detect motion in those areas.

So will spiders, and other fauna when the camera is outdoors We  have a lot of salamanders, etc.and even wasps that are attracted to the infrared light at night.  A good system will allow you to block out certain areas of the cameras viewing grid such that it won't detect motion in those areas.

Thats what I'm saying but I was referring to indoors. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Nickjc said:

https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-backdoor

And there you go right there......  

Yea. That's for sure. But like Microsoft, they probably have the largest installed base in the world. If you're going to exploit, do it to greatest numbers. It's why Apple os has few virus. Who cares, when there's like 12 of them 

A decent firewall(settings) and a little care and you'll be fine. 

Security by obscurity. 

10 hours ago, Nickjc said:

Quick story... had a runaway recorder years ago at a bank branch in NY - techs couldn't figure out why this one camera was always recording. ...  at that time it was an intervid or costar recorder 

Showed up on site and went with the tech to the idf - pulled up the system on the kvm, and saw immediately what it was.....

He set the entire image to be the detection zone.....  no fans...lol....  but there in the near field, was a desk phone and as clear as day in the lower left corner was a flashing intercom light.

Seems at night when the system cut to night mode this light would flash....system saw the pixel change, thought it was motion and vpila...record....   :)

That's real world stuff right there that u can't learn at a desk or from a book. Ahahahahah

Remember the days of analog cameras where in most cases, never threw away a bad camera. Just change the Vidcon Tube?

Many bank jobs that way.

I have a set up with DVR, they are set to record when motion activated, their is also a grid screen you cam block out small squares for tree motion or anything else that may move. yes you can replay anything from a 24 hour period by hitting rewind after that you go in and do it by date and time. it is a learning curve but not to difficult.