SIGMan Freud

Transporting shotgun - has to be in locked case? Ammo too?

It shouldn't be this tedious, I know. :banghead:

When I go shoot Sporting Clays or Trap (you know, with a Joe Biden-approved firearm), I'm not as hyper-aware of getting stopped and jacked-up on some technicality. (And yes, I am 100% legal in terms of purchases). So I normally keep my shells in a zippered (unlocked range bag) and my shotguns in soft-cases (closed, with zippered or clipped fasteners, but not LOCKED per-se) in the back of my Jeep Cherokee (with seat down coz those guns are long). Do I really have to lock up the ammo?  And get a locking case for the guns? 

How about when I buy shells at Dicks and they put them in a plastic shopping bag? Am I supposed to keep a locking bag in the car to take them home?

If you have a nj fid card.   You can have your shotgun sitting next to you in the passengers seat uncased and the ammo next to it.  Its your discretion how much you want to hide it.  Pistols are the ones you have to be worried about.  Hide em lock em up    If you buy long rifle ammo.   You do not need to lock em up or hide them.   The only ammo you need to be weary with is anything hollow point. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zeke said:

You are fine.

try the search function.

where you sporting clays at?

I know, sorry :icon_redface: , I did search, but there are so many threads where the laws are debated and people conflate "possession" with "purchase" or handguns and long guns lumped together as "firearms". I shoot Sporting Clays at Cedar Creek and Quiton. Might try 5-stand at Telco one day.

7 hours ago, Golf battery said:

If you have a nj fid card.   You can have your shotgun sitting next to you in the passengers seat uncased and the ammo next to it.  Its your discretion how much you want to hide it.  Pistols are the ones you have to be worried about.  Hide em lock em up    If you buy long rifle ammo.   You do not need to lock em up or hide them.   The only ammo you need to be weary with is anything hollow point. 

Great, thank you. It seemed like common sense and then I broke out in a cold sweat when I remembered, "This is NJ. Common sense doesn't apply here."

Follow Jersey Rules if driving from anywhere in NJ to a Jersey Range.  Follow FOPA Rules if transporting long guns and/or hand guns out-of-state to visit a Sporting Clays event or any other scheduled match with long guns OR hand guns :) .

Furthermore, a NJFPID card is NOT required to transport hand guns OR long guns into NJ to go to a range to shoot.  One look at a parking lot will tell you that NJ, NY, PA, VA, CT, DE, etc. shooters are currently shooting a hand gun match at my club as I type this :) .  The Cops aren't poised to lock them all up, lol.  No one cares about your usage of long gun cases until you get T-Boned and the guns fly outta the vehicle while the Jeep is rolling-over....

• Like 1