High Exposure

LAPD Bans SERPA Holsters

Add another agency to the list in banning these garbage holsters.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/06/23/lapd-bans-use-of-blackhawk-serpa-holster/

LAPD Bans Use Of Blackhawk Serpa Holster

Earlier this week, we began to hear rumors that the Los Angeles Police Department had banned use of the Serpa Holster. We now have confirmation.

On June 8, 2017, LAPD issued a directive to its personnel disapproving use of the Blackhawk Serpa holster as well as all auto-locking trigger finger manipulated holsters. The memo goes on to add, “These holsters violate sound weapon manipulation practices and may increase the likelihood of a negligent discharge.”

screen-shot-2017-06-23-at-2.26.12-pm.jpg

The Official version of the memo seen above has been disseminated throughout the Department and was signed by the Officer In Charge of the Police Sciences and Training Bureau and countersigned by a representative from the Office of the Chief of Police.

The LAPD is one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the United States and a leader in the development of policies and procedures. They now join numerous federal agencies who have also banned use of the Serpa holster.

• Like 3

If you jump on M4Carbine.net, someone who is actually familiar with LAPD directives/memos has said it doesn't look like anything he has seen before...

Also, look up the LAPD Organization Chart, on their website. The "Police Sciences and Training Bureau" is not on there... "Personnel and Training Bureau" is.

We can have the Serpa argument, but basic research shows that image is BS...

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Banning something because you think it's dangerous, this list is endless.  Train with it, and you'll be fine.

Ive seen them lockup with minor everyday debri to the point we had to cut the holster off with a dremel to get the gun out.  Thats a life/death issue for me.  I highly discourage them also.

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

The Marines use them and no issues. Had this conversation with my Gunny Sgt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There are better options.   Normal People/LEO/Military dont really know any better

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Screwball said:

If you jump on M4Carbine.net, someone who is actually familiar with LAPD directives/memos has said it doesn't look like anything he has seen before...

Also, look up the LAPD Organization Chart, on their website. The "Police Sciences and Training Bureau" is not on there... "Personnel and Training Bureau" is.

We can have the Serpa argument, but basic research shows that image is BS...

Fake News?

Fake News?

I've only seen it on that Soldier Systems article... so, until I see them confirm their source, I'll chalk it up to BS.

If you are the commanding officer for a part of such a large organization, that is head of training... I'd think you'd put the correct Bureau on the "memo" that is to be distributed to roughy 10,000 sworn members.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I've only seen it on that Soldier Systems article... so, until I see them confirm their source, I'll chalk it up to BS.

If you are the commanding officer for a part of such a large organization, that is head of training... I'd think you'd put the correct Bureau on the "memo" that is to be distributed to roughy 10,000 sworn members.

Youd be surprised...

• Like 2

People think appendix carry is dangerous.

People think cross-draw holsters are dangerous.

People think pocket holsters are dangerous.

People think "cocked and locked" is dangerous.

The list is endless.  And people have been shot using EVERY method and holster.

Train, train, train.

http://www.lapdonline.org/inside_the_lapd/content_basic_view/1063

Go to link, click on organization chart, look in lower left hand corner, and Deputy Chief Jon Peters is listed as head of Police Sciences and Training.

Even if it were "fake news" there are a bunch of agencies that have banned them due to safety issues (trigger finger placement) and failures of the release mechanism.  I didn't like them when I first saw them due to the release mechanism.

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Train, train, train.

Yes Ray, all those things you listed have been criticized.  However the issues with the Serpa can't really be addressed by training effectively.  All the training in the world is not going to fix failure of the release  mechanism preventing you from getting your gun out of the holster.  Training to push the release, get your finger off the release and away from the holster when your gun comes out is too much of a motor skill to waste training time on.  Use a open top, thumb break, or retention strap holster and the problem goes away.  Easier fix.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Yes Ray, all those things you listed have been criticized.  However the issues with the Serpa can't really be addressed by training effectively.  All the training in the world is not going to fix failure of the release  mechanism preventing you from getting your gun out of the holster.  Training to push the release, get your finger off the release and away from the holster when your gun comes out is too much of a motor skill to waste training time on.  Use a open top, thumb break, or retention strap holster and the problem goes away.  Easier fix.

@Ray Ray  Thats my issue with em.  Not really the finger thingy

For what MOST of us do, a Serpa rig will suffice.  You can make anything not work with misuse, abuse and not taking care of your gear.  If you want to drag it around in the dirt and mud, then go ahead.  You can drag your gun and rifle through that same stuff and both won't work either.  

18 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

For what MOST of us do, a Serpa rig will suffice.  You can make anything not work with misuse, abuse and not taking care of your gear.  If you want to drag it around in the dirt and mud, then go ahead.  You can drag your gun and rifle through that same stuff and both won't work either.  

Well, maybe so.  I don't know how many draws will make the Serpa fail. But when it fails you can't get your gun out.  All mechanical devices have a failure rate. A thumb break or safety strap fails it won't retain the gun but you can still get it out. If you never envision having to get your gun out without cutting the holster off the Serpa will do I guess.  

A holster needs to be able to take some abuse.  You fall, bump into things,  and many other things a holster needs to be able to take.  A holster not only holds the gun but protects the gun.  Okay, a lot of competition holsters do little to protect but that's a game.

I have leather holsters that are over 30 years old that still are serviceable.  Not much needed in the care department if you buy quality leather. There was one well known gun writer that advocated leaving the retention device unfastened until you needed it.  I don't agree with that.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Train, train, train.

Ray, two things:

First - you are looking at this from the wrong angle. Training with this piece of shit holster is what brought these deficiencies to light. It was realistic training that made people realize that the mechanism is flimsy and prone to breakage. That the placement of the release is not ideal and actually sets you up for failure when under stress. That the screws holding the holster to the belt attachment can rip out of the plastic with moderate force. That snow, mud, sand, dirt, gravel, etc.. can lock these holsters up so bad you need tin snips to cut the holster away. That getting your pistol hung up on your seat belt as you get out of your car and snap the hinge pin to the retention mechanism making it impossible to get you gun out of your holster. Seriously How is wearing a seat belt misuse or abuse?

When a US military unit has a TTP of one guy has to carry a mallet to "un-stick" their Berettas from their SERPAs because they are getting fouled in the environment they operate in, that is a problem that training can only identify. Training will not help you overcome that deficiency.

There are dozens of quality holsters out there at a similar price, why settle for mediocrity bordering on a safety violation?

Like it or not, a holster is life saving gear for those of us that carry a gun.

I bet you wear a seat belt when you drive right? Why don't you just train to drive better and not wear it?

Second - There is a real and distinct difference between unsafe and dangerous. The level of danger is inherent in whatever activity you are doing. The safety factor is based on the choices you make while participating in these activities.

For example, rock climbing, shooting sports, motorcycle racing are all inherently dangerous activities.

The choices you make: deciding to using a rope, buying a quality holster to carry your gun, wearing a DOT certified helmet, all help to make these dangerous activities safer.

Why purposefully choose to use a piece of gear that is proven to fail with relatively low levels of use when there are so many better options out there?

The only reason these holsters are still made is because people are cheap, and so are the SERPAs. Because someone will go out and drop $1500 on the newest blaster and then carry it in a cheaply made garbage $15 holster. I particularly blame cops for this. The only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops. The only thing cheaper than that is a Police Administrator. People see cops carrying these holsters and think, hmm, the cops have them they must be good. They most deifinitely are not good...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, blksheep said:

Most cops should never be the measure of what gear to buy.

Love this video.

So true..if the dept doesn't pay for it or supply it then they will get whatever they can to skate by the cheapest. Oh and don't expect police dept issued equpt to be better. Usually bought by house mousers with no experience and used by cops who don't take care of it because its not theirs

• Like 3

Weren't Glocks considered dangerous, were they not?  They had no external safety, they were polymer, they were chambered in 9mm.  

Danger!

But guess what?  They were wrong.  

So, use what you want.  Just don't shoot me.

13 hours ago, bhunted said:

The Marines use them and no issues. Had this conversation with my Gunny Sgt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When its a double action pistol with the safety on, indeed you may not have a ND problem. But it does leave the pistol locked in a holster problem. Ive personally freed 2 pistols out of a Serpa.

Glock, and any gun = dangerous. Because as HE said, there is inherent danger in its capabilities. Just like motorcycles, skydiving, etc.

Serpa = unsafe. Qualities that enhance the dangerous capabilities of holster and the drawstroke.  Characteristics that do not exist with other holsters.

The real question is, why in the world does anyone even consider these holsters anymore? We can continue to have the debate of how safe the holster is to use (even though it's not), but nothing changes the fact that it's still a POS!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Weren't Glocks considered dangerous, were they not?  They had no external safety, they were polymer, they were chambered in 9mm.  

Danger!

But guess what?  They were wrong.  

So, use what you want.  Just don't shoot me.

Ray, all guns are dangerous.  They'd be useless if they weren't.   

It's dangerous to drive 65 mph.  It's unsafe to do it with bald tires and no brakes.

Parachuting is dangerous. It's unsafe to do it with your chute packed in a garbage bag. 

See acaixguard's post.

• Like 2