High Exposure

LAPD Bans SERPA Holsters

I have a Serpa holster for a 1911.  It works.  Would I buy another one?  No.  I have a ton of other holsters that work too and without a lock.

18 hours ago, Shane45 said:

There is no point in trying to explain logic to a contrarian.....

Oh contraire monfrare

I don't consider it "dangerous".. the problem I have with it is the locking mechanism failing... I used a Serpa a bunch.. and it was OK.. I never personally had one fail.. but I see the potential for failure.. 

Safariland FTW if you want a traditional type holster... IMO of course.. 

• Like 2

The Blade-Tech WRS Level 2 has been keeping my HK in there pretty well.

I don't have much of an opinion on the SERPA either way. I don't use it because I think the open tops look like a potential gun grab for a crook. The hood strap looks like it is to involved to get a clean snatch.

IMO the Serpa calls for a bad sequence of events. Indeed poor training can lead to a ND. But the thing I think many miss that call it just a training issue is the sequence of events when the pistol doesn't release properly. The response can be to push harder on the button and pull harder on the pistol, especially in a threat situation. And if it should suddenly come free on a striker based pistol with no external safety when you have built up pressure in the direction of the trigger, it could result in bad outcome. That's not a training issue. 

• Like 1

Or a single action only pistol (Tex shot himself with a 1911) or a DA/SA pistol. 

Average human finger is capable of well over 30lb of force when clutching. I don't know any gun that has a trigger pull greater than what the hand is capable of exerting, especially under stress.

If your finger has to mimic the motion of pulling the trigger to release your gun from the holster, and your holster positions this same finger in line and adjacent to the trigger when you have to make that motion - bad things can happen, especially under stress and even more especially after you bobble the draw the first time.

• Like 1