Just FYI,  the pro-2A folks suffered a disappointment here in FL... As you may recall, we had the "Docs vs. Glocks" law, which prohibited docs from asking if patients (and, especially, the parents of pediatric patients), if they were firearms owners. One of the appellate courts overturned the law, and AG Pam Bondi simply let the appeal period expire without challenging it. Therefore, docs in FL can continue to ask...  a victory for the anti pediatrician docs who were the force behind striking down the law.

Take care, as there are a lot of ways docs can trick you into responding to the question.

• Like 1

I would like to apologize to anyone that was triggered at the very suggestion of prevaricating to a medical doctor when hir asks about your personal choice on gun ownership. 

I wonder if they asked if you were homosexual, it would be ok? But I digress. 

6 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

I would like to apologize to anyone that was triggered at the very suggestion of prevaricating to a medical doctor when hir asks about your personal choice on gun ownership. 

I had filed out something a few years ago, I can't remember for what, but it asked me if I was a firearms owner.  I replied NA.

Saying "no" is probably the better option.  Failing to answer or saying "none of your business"  might cause them to answer in the "affirmative" on your behalf.  At which point, it might go on your MIB record and affect your ability to get insurance, etc. Or it might cause them to reject you as a patient.... which probably isn't a bad thing, but with Obamacare limiting one's choices in doctors, :dontknow: 

8 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

But they do. Not exactly using those words but asking if you are sexually active and if with men or women.

The kicker was a questionnaire asking which pronoun I would like to be addressed by. 

If I've ever asked about guns, a long, uncomfortable stare will be my answer. If the doctor insist I'll polite invite them to GFT.

10 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Just say no.

I'm amazed. You don't have to be a Jedi to get past this question. 

Why do we need a law prohibiting anyone from asking an intrusive question? Are we that f'ing stockholmed? 

I am strongly in favor of getting rid of laws and not make more. However, laws preventing asking/recording of such question are required if there are laws giving weight to the response (or lack of) and has consequences. 

For example, is it fair to discriminate and bump insurance premiums for all those who answered No or NA ? Generally I wouldn't care. But what if I cannot switch insurance companies easily or because certain healthcare law (shall go unnamed here) dictates how market operates. What if that same healthcare law mandates the information recorded in central place and providing incorrect information would be considered as lying to federal govt ?

In a truely free market where I can make choices freely, I dont care what a doc asks. I would simply walk out and find another doc. But we have been herded too far.  

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

I am strongly in favor of getting rid of laws and not make more. However, laws preventing asking/recording of such question are required if there are laws giving weight to the response (or lack of) and has consequences. 

For example, is it fair to discriminate and bump insurance premiums for all those who answered No or NA ?

Precisely.   The concern is not what the doctor asks.  The concern is what the doctor does with the answer (or lack of it).  Do they interpret a non-answer or a "none of your business" answer as a "Yes?"  Do they update any medical / insurance  or "mental  health" records accordingly? Do they refuse you as a patient?    The doctor asking the question should not be illegal (i.e. freedom of speech). But what the doctor does with the response is what should be regulated. And it should be illegal for a doctor to interpret a non answer or NOYB answer as a Yes, and to report said findings to anyone else (insurance co, MIB, county adjuster, etc.). And, a denial of service for that reason should be cause for a discrimination lawsuit.

43 minutes ago, Handyman said:

From another forum:

Doctor: "Do you have guns in your home?"

Patient: "Does your spouse enjoy anal sex?"

Doctor: "I can't see how that is any of your business!"

Patient: "Exactly!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuckled at that.  

I've never had a doctor (or anyone for that matter) ask if I had guns, so I find it kinda strange that this is even a thing out there.

My kids pediatrician is cool as hell.  She seems like the type that would tell me go buy guns to keep my family safe and not be a pussy

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fatty said:

I've never had a doctor (or anyone for that matter) ask if I had guns, so I find it kinda strange that this is even a thing out there.

My kids pediatrician is cool as hell.  She seems like the type that would tell me go buy guns to keep my family safe and not be a pussy

In FL, it was an initiative by the pediatrician lobby...  rabidly anti-gun.   I'm sure a lot of the anti groups  have put pressure on pediatricians and primary care docs.  

Went to a dermatologist recently for a general check up and she asked if I spend a lot of time in the sun.  I explained that I  do as I do a lot of competitive pistol shooting.  She was very interested as both she and her husband are gun owners, but she explained that they had left all their guns in Ohio at his mother's house when they moved to NJ as the laws here are so crazy. She was asking me if there were any outdoor ranges where they could go shooting.  Some doctors are cool with guns.

Most of my docs are gun owners. My one said screw the govt. He won't squeal. He'd rather pay the fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Most of my docs are gun owners. My one said screw the govt. He won't squeal. He'd rather pay the fine.

Interesting. So is this a state law, a federal law or something required / mandated by insurance companies or optional stuff ?

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Yup. In fact, they have a website:        DRGO - Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership...