liquidskin

Permit for a backyard fire pit?

Was picking up a fire ring at Tractor Supply today... crazy enough, someone from the NJ Forest Fire dept. approached me and handed his business card with a friendly reminder to make sure I get a permit from his office. He said not having one could be a $5000 fine. My township has no ordinances on fire pits..

Anyone go through this process? I was going to throw his card away (or, in the pit which is now burning!) but it freaked the wife out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ck town ordinance. 
Dont do a blazer
Be nice to your Nieghbor's 
no problem

Ha, I've got a weirdo neighbor... wouldn't surprise me if he made a call, which is one of the reasons I've considered following up on the permit

My town apparently has an ordinance that outdoor fires are only permitted for cooking. We found that one out years ago when the fire department showed up at a neighbor's house after someone reported smelling smoke. We all keep a bag of marshmallows handy ever since. 

A few years later I was having a few beers on the patio with friends and noticed a fire truck slowly cruising through the neighborhood. We joked that they were probably looking for us and told them the above anecdote. An hour later I noticed 3 firemen in full gear looking at us from my next door neighbor's back yard. Sure enough, they stopped in to chat. Turns out they'd had a call that someone smelled smoke and drove around trying to find the source. While in the area they got another call for something else and left to respond to it. The original caller called again and complained that they hadn't followed up adequately so they came back again. I had my bag of marshmallows so we all had a good laugh and that was the end of it. 

Check for local ordinances, you might be surprised with what you find. Stupid laws aren't limited to firearms.

Has to justify his job and the king needs his cash.

Believe it or not, it's apparently free. That said, I don't need to get lectured on my own property when this guy would come to inspect it. Friggin nanny state

37 minutes ago, liquidskin said:

Believe it or not, it's apparently free. That said, I don't need to get lectured on my own property when this guy would come to inspect it. Friggin nanny state

Somebody got too much time on their hands to hangout at Tractor Supply, hand out cards and threaten educate people about fines. 

On to the topic, unless I missed, only permit NJDEP talks about is one required for campfire in forested areas. Nothing about permit for backyard firepit. 

------

Fire Permits
All campfires in forested areas require a permit from the Forest Fire Service. Visit our fire restrictions page for the latest news on campfire restrictions or contact your local Forest Firewarden or fire official for more information about fire safety in New Jersey's Outdoors.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/fire/wildfire-prevent-edu-protect.htm

------------

Any fire in forested areas require a permit.  I get one every  month from Forest Service. You have to call it in when you start it and when it is out.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/fire/permits.html

Any idea what defines a forested area?? 30 day permit? Wow this is nuts..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, liquidskin said:

Any idea what defines a forested area?? 30 day permit? Wow this is nuts..

d. “Forest” means and includes any forest, bushland, grassland, salt marsh, and any combination thereof.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/fire/docs/conservation_and_development.pdf

d. “Forest” means and includes any forest, bushland, grassland, salt marsh, and any combination thereof.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/fire/docs/conservation_and_development.pdf

Well I sure don't live in a state forest, I know that much. I have wooded areas, but I'm not trying to burn anywhere near trees.

Did any of you hear or watch ask the governor? They asked if he's going to make it legal to possess sparklers. He basically said that people are just going to have to keep driving to pa even if he passes it it won't be in time for the 4th.

Same thing with DMV. I'm not saying make it like Vermont where basically all they care about is the money, but at least make things attainable for residents. Why is it that if I buy a 40 year old car or bike I can't have a title issued? Christ, it's just every little thing that make me boil. This is why I refuse to register my pup.

Fire pits... We have 2 gas units. I'm not against having firepits that are gas or wood or whatever. But I do have a problem when they are in close prox to the neighbors. The cartoon character as a chimnea which he loads with wood at night. The wind always comes from his backyard and floods our house, inside and out with smoke. A little nice smell of mesquite smoke is nice but when you are gagging. When he does this I have to close all windows and put the AC on just to effing breath.

This is why close neighbors vs fire pits, chimeas, etc... are a no go for me. It's a health hazard.

'Lest to say, our town gives a ratz arse unless someone complains... then you become the enemy of your neighbors. >:-\

da59fde0054c64c0d9b516aabb36bc66.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, Golf battery said:

Nj is fd up.  Tell him to go f himself.   Were not servants of the king.   Thats screwed up

Pennington police busted us when we had a Girl Scout function at Kunkel Park.  Same dude that pulled me over twice for expired registration.  Nothing better to do in town.

• Like 1

My town won't pick up brush/branches, and we live on a big lot with a lot of old trees.

Our fire pit sees a LOT of use for marshmallow and weenie roasts.   

• Like 1

With my firefighter background I can chime in here, it's called "open burning" and requires a permit if you're burning something on your property.  I think this is might be a NJ state thing and not local ordinance.  We would get called all the time for people burning rubbish or yard waste.  The marshmallow concept is a good idea, if it's a cooking fire you're ok.  If it's waste, we put it out and you could get fined if you don't have an open burn permit.

13 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

With my firefighter background I can chime in here, it's called "open burning" and requires a permit if you're burning something on your property.  I think this is might be a NJ state thing and not local ordinance.  We would get called all the time for people burning rubbish or yard waste.  The marshmallow concept is a good idea, if it's a cooking fire you're ok.  If it's waste, we put it out and you could get fined if you don't have an open burn permit.

100+ Girl Scouts making smores didn't stop the officer from ripping me a new one.