xtreme381

Hello All!

Hello! I've been a member of the forum for a little bit now but I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I live in Union County (Cranford) now but grew up in Sussex Co. (I did a quick stint in Hudson Co. post college). I've been into shooting now for the past few years after a few friends got me hooked. I own a few pistols and an AR556. I typically shoot at RTSP since I'm a member but looking to try other ranges throughout the state that offer different experiences. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting into competitive shooting as well but finding the time and funds to train proves difficult. I hope to get to know other people in the area with a similar in shooting sports as myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hello! I've been a member of the forum for a little bit now but I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I live in Union County (Cranford) now but grew up in Sussex Co. (I did a quick stint in Hudson Co. post college). I've been into shooting now for the past few years after a few friends got me hooked. I own a few pistols and an AR556. I typically shoot at RTSP since I'm a member but looking to experience other ranges throughout the state that offer different experiences. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting into competitive shooting as well but finding the time and funds to train proves difficult. I hope to get to know other people in the area with a similar in shooting sports as myself.

Welcome, I'm new here myself and not far from you (kenilworth). RTSP is nice and one I go to occasionally too, was just there on Saturday for Sig Sauer day but I'm not a member.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Welcome, I'm new here myself and not far from you (kenilworth). RTSP is nice and one I go to occasionally too, was just there on Saturday for Sig Sauer day but I'm not a member.

• Like 1

Welcome - close to you as well (Linden).  I shoot at SCFGPA (Private range I have a membership at).

For competition, SCFGPA has IDPA matches on the 3rd Sunday of the month.  Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club has IDPA matches on the 2nd Sunday and USPSA Matches on the 4th Sunday of the month.  Any of those events will be good to start with assuming you're comfortable with holster draw and moving while shooting.  They're all friendly to beginners, though the USPSA matches will be a lot more intense.

Thanks for the replies! I need to do a bit more training before I think I'd feel comfortable competing. I try to get up to RTSP at least once a month but would like to increase that. It's hard given the distance.

3 hours ago, xtreme381 said:

Hello! I've been a member of the forum for a little bit now but I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I live in Union County (Cranford) now but grew up in Sussex Co. (I did a quick stint in Hudson Co. post college). I've been into shooting now for the past few years after a few friends got me hooked. I own a few pistols and an AR556. I typically shoot at RTSP since I'm a member but looking to experience other ranges throughout the state that offer different experiences. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting into competitive shooting as well but finding the time and funds to train proves difficult. I hope to get to know other people in the area with a similar in shooting sports as myself.

Welcome, also a member at RTSP. Try to go 2-3 times a month. Normally go early on the weekends before the family gets up. 

Welcome, also a member at RTSP. Try to go 2-3 times a month. Normally go early on the weekends before the family gets up. 

That's my normal time too. I like to go during member only hours to avoid the wait. Lately though I've been able to get up during the week on days off. It's great because there's never a wait or a rush.

Welcome - close to you as well (Linden).  I shoot at SCFGPA (Private range I have a membership at).
For competition, SCFGPA has IDPA matches on the 3rd Sunday of the month.  Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club has IDPA matches on the 2nd Sunday and USPSA Matches on the 4th Sunday of the month.  Any of those events will be good to start with assuming you're comfortable with holster draw and moving while shooting.  They're all friendly to beginners, though the USPSA matches will be a lot more intense.

I've never heard of SCFGPA. I just looked it up and had no idea it was that close. I'm just starting to learn about these type of members only ranges throughout NJ. I grew up by Cherry Ridge but never had the chance to shoot there. I really want to get to an outdoor range with my rifle since RTSP only goes up to 25yds

Yep - There's Lake Island in Carteret as well, but that one's pretty much geared towards rimfire/bullseye shooting - not my bag.

SCFGPA has 100 yard underground rifle tubes but they're more for just functional testing or sighting in or just blasting - it's hard to be accurate in there.

Gun for Hire in Woodland Park has a 50 yard indoor rifle range which is pretty neat.  They're expanding the range too.

Old Bridge has 100 yard outdoor but they're pretty expensive to join - if you shoot a lot it's worth it.

Your best bet may be to join Range 14.  It's a bit of a drive but there's 200 yard outdoor and it's fairly inexpensive.