Sign in to follow this  
revenger

Gunsmith for drill and tap

Can anyone recommend a smith to remove sights front and back on a MAS45 .22 training rifle and drill and tap it for scope.   front sight is soldered on and rear seems to have a spot weld as well as screws.

Northern nj if possible.

thanks

That may be something G&S hunters in Paterson would do.  Their work is quality.  You can also call Mike at Tier One but he's got a real backlog.   

Is your MAS 45 currently in original condition? If so, please consider not drilling and tapping. Those are not common, and are becoming quite collectible! Once you tap it, you are turning a $400-500 rifle into a $200 rifle.

Just my opinion. It's ultimately your gun to choose what you want to do with, but there are plenty of other .22 rifles that you can get for a low price that may be tapped already.

• Like 1

This MAS had the bolt handle replaced about 30 years ago when Navy Arms were selling them for under 200 bucks,  I purchased a few of them back then with the original cleaning rod kits, magazines, and French owners manuals.    This one is my shooter and as my eyes age I'm forced to add a scope.  I have the B-square mounts as well I just don't like them.    I know a lot of people don't like them modified but as you know you really can't compare ANY modern made .22 to a MAS except for the really expensive rifles like a 40x, a Kimber or a 1922 springfield.     I have kept my other Mauser marked ones all original.

mas.22.7.30.2017 032.JPG