TRM9999

More than one NIC check a month (rifle/pistol) overlap?

A person already has their NJ FID card and waiting for a pistol permit and buys a rifle correctly through a store with the NIC check.

Would that interfere as a double NIC check w/in 30days if the pistol permit comes in shortly after and they are ready to purchase?  

Just wondering if anyone ever had a issue..

You can buy as many long guns are you want (NICS not limiting) in any given period of time.

Handguns are a different story, which can only be purchased once every 30 days per permit.  NICS just comes with the territory to re-do you background check.

• Like 3

No.  Because the dealer has to tell the number and type of firearms went he submits the NICS.  Before it was done on line I've heard the FFL say "1 rifle", "1 handgun", etc on the phone when he was calling in the NICS.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

No.  Because the dealer has to tell the number and type of firearms went he submits the NICS.  Before it was done on line I've heard the FFL say "1 rifle", "1 handgun", etc on the phone when he was calling in the NICS.

They've actually been asked to spell out the number like one, two......

• Like 1

It's just the total as all the guns are listed anyway, not by type.  The instructions on line 29 says use numerals and not numbers.  This prevents guns from being added to a completed 4473.   

See item 29 of the attached copy of the 4473.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

16 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

It's just the total as all the guns are listed anyway, not by type.  The instructions on line 29 says use numerals and not numbers.  This prevents guns from being added to a completed 4473.   

See item 29 of the attached copy of the 4473.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

I was, and I believe GRIZ was, referring to when NICS was submitted, not when the dealer completes the form. Federal NICS still only requires WHAT was being purchased, not HOW MANY.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

When  a dealer does a NICS check on line the question is asked if it's 

a Hand gun, Long gun or Both. The dealer selects the appropriate 

selection upon submittal.......

The 4473 requires the number of firearms being transferred to be 

written out (one, two, ect.) as some sort of lame way to prevent 

the dealer from adding another firearm onto the same 4473 after

the transaction has been completed (You can't come back tomorrow

and add one to the last 4473).

There are no limits on NICs checks per person in any given timeframe

but the 1 Hg per month rule applies as we all know.

14 minutes ago, Nickjc said:

When submitted the dealers selects rifle pistol....if you try to nics two pistols in one 30 day period that's a problem

There should be no problem running NICS on 2 handguns at the same time, because the quantity is never asked. The onus is on the dealer.

you guys keep saying two choices-handgun,long gun. Isntthere a "other" for stripped receivers or am  I remembering wrong?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you guys keep saying two choices-handgun,long gun. Isntthere a "other" for stripped receivers or am  I remembering wrong?

"Other" for the Form 4473 and Federal NICS, but I believe that NJ NICS wants Long Gun, Handgun, or both as an answer.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

"Other" for the Form 4473 and Federal NICS, but I believe that NJ NICS wants Long Gun, Handgun, or both as an answer.

Here Paul, this will burn their ass....

Hey Paul are you a Class III dealer?  I'd rather deal with someone I now for a full auto.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, PK90 said:

Yes, NJ NICS only has the choice of "Long Gun", "Hand Gun" or "Both" - Receivers are either a long gun or a handgun to NJ. The only time the quantity is reported to NICS is when doing a handgun exemption (and only for the handguns on the exemption). NICS has no idea how many long guns a person is buying on any single check