Zeke

A woman's perspective of shooting

OK, here goes.  As merely a means of showing perspective, please allow me to write about myself for a moment.  I don't usually pat myself on the back, especially in a public way like on a forum, so please forgive me if I seem too full of myself.  I tell you about what I've done & been a part of so you all know where I'm coming from...

I met my lovely bride on a blind date July 24, 1980.  I had a beer in one hand & a cigar in the other when she walked into the room.  Took us to see the movie "Airplane" w/ Lloyd Bridges & Robert Stack and an all-star cast.  Laughed my balls off.  I taught my wife to shoot when we were just dating.  That was over 36 years ago.  She learned on my S&W Combat Magnum (Model 19 K-Frame) and THAT's what she likes to shoot.  She prefers wad-cutters, and she's great with LRN (lead, round nose for Peel), and able to tolerate .38 Spl +P hollow points (that reside in it ALWAYS)!  She's darned good with my lever-action Henry .44 magnum too!  She gets to the range when I drag her around once a year, as she's "not into it anymore".  She still wants "Her revolver" in the hiding place in our bedroom though!  When our only child (a son) turned 4, she gave her nod to the beginning of a wonderful relationship for father & son to share to this day:  a LOVE of the Shooting Sports!  So in addition to teaching friend's wives for well over 3 decades I've taught kids to shoot for almost 24 years now :) .

I've helped as a hand gun Instructor (representing my PPC League that I Co-Chair) for the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club with its' "Ladies Day at the Range" since my good friend & fellow Black Powder shooter Mrs. Anna Brunner came up with the idea about 17 years ago (in 17 years I've made 15 of them!).  The NRA came to her & copied the format from which they created "NRA Women On Target"!  Old Bridge's NRA Women On Target does four shooting disciplines:  Shotgun, Black Powder, Static Steel and mine (Police Practical Competition).  I've helped the Second Amendment Women Shooting Club (based out of the Gun For Hire Range in Woodland Park, NJ) since almost its' very inception.  I've taught them how to clean hand guns, how to shoot with safety & confidence, how to teach their kids to shoot, how to hunt pheasant & hogs (via the CNJFO fundraisers), and yesterday at their 4-year Anniversary Party at Sandy's house that my wife & I had the pleasure of being invited to, I brought a 1/2 case of iced Rolling Rock nips & 2 racks of baby-back ribs that I dry-rubbed & cooked on Sandy's grill (she & Shari Spivak are the Co-Founders).

Women do pee in packs.  I've been married to one for 34 years so I know this to be a FACT!  Yes they do feel somewhat threatened by overly aggressive males telling them what to do.  Yes, H.E. is 100% correct in that women are much easier to teach, and for ALL of the reasons he lists!  Some women LOVE the pink guns genre, others HATE it!  They're all different in what shooting disciplines they like the most.  One of my best friends is a women shooter that's been pouring EXPLOSIVES for decades (the previously mentioned Anna Brunner) right along with "the Guys" and because of camaraderie & club-style competition she decided it was time for her to earn her NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzle Loading Rifle!  Some women only can stand to shoot .22's, others gravitate to 1911 .45 autos like SAW member Karen Casazza.  Still others like to shoot 2011 double-stack race guns like nationally-ranked 3-Gunner 17 yr old Katelyn Francis whose exploits have been on You Tube for 4 years now.  There's a 4 yr old video of her 3-Gunnin' with a selective-fire (full auto) 5.56 rifle, a youth model semi-auto 12 ga. scattergun w/ extended mag tube (ILLEGAL in NJ for Peel) and her Glock that was specially cut & shaped at the grip to fit her (then tiny) 13 yr old hands!  Not every female shooter is a competitor.  Some (most) do it for self-protection or they treat it like a fire extinguisher:  great to have around the house, but not really eager to deploy it & have to clean-up a huge mess afterwards.  Women like to shoot together recreation-ally for the same reason(s) they like to paint together at these popular painting parties where wine is served, or go to a women-only gym class.  Just because it's fun & they can "let their hair down", not wear make-up(?), commiserate about daily hectic life in NJ, their husbands & boyfriends, etc., etc.

Form a Peel post:

".... getting into shooting. If a "women only" beginner-level class - or a women's shooting club -  helps get their feet in the door, gets them acclimated to the range environment and feeling more comfortable, and emboldens them to continue on their journey solo and in regular mixed classes... I just don't understand why you think that's such a bad thing! I mean, everyone's different... right? Some women, I think, really prefer (or even need) that softer entry into the shooting sports. Why should they be denied that?"  ------SAW & Women On Target were invented to satisfy this very need!  So my answer is they shouldn't be denied it, BUT they shouldn't take women's only Force-On-Force Training classes because statistically their Rapist isn't 5' nuthin', 125 pounds & unarmed.  He's 6' tall & outweighs them by 50-100 pounds or more.  So when it's time to learn a disarming technique, practice roundhouse leg kicks or how to kick or knee testicles please keep it REAL by askin' your Instructor what size adversary he or she plans to use, cause there's a time & place for "Women ONLY" and then there AIN'T!

Mrs. Zeke needs to attend a Beginner Class for IDPA because that competitor within her would LOVE it!  Period!  Mr. Stu (a member here) is running just such a class.  Suggest you PM him here or friend him on Facebook (Stuart Gepp).  Stu is a great guy & a personal friend of mine!  He's a Blimey Englishman, so he "talks a bit funny", but don't let THAT bother you!

The largest growing market segment for the firearms industry is the 21-50 year old female.  All the Trade Journals are filled with articles about women shooters.  From security to competition, from scattergunnin' to 3-Position Small Bore (what Peel just tried with her Uncle's older rifle), from concealed carry under the boobs (via a Flash Bang Holster) to attending Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone: Diversity Shoot", there are more women than ever before yearning for firearms education.  The BSA Shooting Crew that I volunteer at once every-so-often has just as many girls age 13-21 as guys, and a female member is in charge of the Crew!

Women sometimes need a "little push" to realize their full potential in the shooting sports.  They've been "programmed", especially in the urban areas of NJ, that guns are evil.  One such SAW member brought her daughter to a SAW Shoot at Gun For Hire a coupla-three years ago.  She wanted her daughter to "try it out" & asked me to try to encourage her.  I volunteered for Sandy & Shari to help them get more shooting ports "covered" with an Instructor.  After showing the daughter that my S&W K-.22 Masterpiece wasn't going to bite & had almost ZERO recoil by doing a demo shooting it with only my pointer & middle finger and thumb of my weak hand holding the revolver and my strong hand pinky to squeeze the trigger to fire the gun, the soon-to-become softball player tried the revo with BOTH hands & shot several cylinders' worth of .22's I was enthralled to donate to the cause.  Worried about what her Facebook friends would say & think, she asked not to be tagged as being anywhere near the Range.  Fast forward to present day and this SAW Member & Mom quit her day job and is now a full-time FFL, and together with her business partner (a Man--OMG!--and he's a Hunter with his son too!) is seeking final Investors for NJ's first 100 yard Indoor Range!  Mom (my good friend Melissa Deeney of Legacy Indoor Range & Armory in Cinnaminson, NJ) now has a daughter (Baelie) that loves to shoot Trap with her, so they bring a 12 ga. for each of them to shoot on the firing line while squaded together!

There's LOTS of other stories & experiences I can recite from memory.  Guys at the Old Bridge Club have brought their wives to me to teach them a discipline they're only "marginal" in (I'm sorta multi-disciplined).  Grannies loving the kick of a 12 ga. or a .45-70 Trap Door during "Ladies Day".  A female friend with a neck injury that loves to bench rest her AR.  A neighbor (a Nurse w/ 9 yr old daughter) I brought to the Range several times & convinced her to join the Club now shoots our Static Steel league competitively with her .22 hand gun.  She even ordered a custom pink kydex holster for it!  The list is never ending, and so are the reasons women like to shoot.  I embrace them all with open arms & an open mind!

If any of the readership here would like to get their woman to the range, I will assist you.  And to our women reading this:  Ladies, take your time, pick your platform/discipline (figure out whatcha wanna try) and I'll get you pointed in the right direction :) 

Rosey, VP, Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

http://www.cnjfo.com

P.S.:  Our first General Membership Meeting is Tuesday July 25th at 7:00pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall in South Amboy.  All are welcome!

Here's (then 13 yr old) Katy Francis from FOUR YEARS AGO (see video).  NJ's Shyanne Roberts is now in the Carolina's putting down roots & searching for 3-Gun action after a brief stint in Texas.  Look for Shyanne's videos as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXjgRd90BE

• Like 3

Yikes! I just happened to come across this article about a really horrific attack on a young mom in front of her son. The author's argument seemed appropriate to this thread:

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/07/clear-argument-more-women-guns/#axzz4loLqa7fh

3 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

OK, here goes.  As merely a means of showing perspective, please allow me to write about myself for a moment.  I don't usually pat myself on the back, especially in a public way like on a forum, so please forgive me if I seem too full of myself.  I tell you about what I've done & been a part of so you all know where I'm coming from...

I met my lovely bride on a blind date July 24, 1980.  I had a beer in one hand & a cigar in the other when she walked into the room.  Took us to see the movie "Airplane" w/ Lloyd Bridges & Robert Stack and an all-star cast.  Laughed my balls off.  I taught my wife to shoot when we were just dating.  That was over 36 years ago.  She learned on my S&W Combat Magnum (Model 19 K-Frame) and THAT's what she likes to shoot.  She prefers wad-cutters, and she's great with LRN (lead, round nose for Peel), and able to tolerate .38 Spl +P hollow points (that reside in it ALWAYS)!  She's darned good with my lever-action Henry .44 magnum too!  She gets to the range when I drag her around once a year, as she's "not into it anymore".  She still wants "Her revolver" in the hiding place in our bedroom though!  When our only child (a son) turned 4, she gave her nod to the beginning of a wonderful relationship for father & son to share to this day:  a LOVE of the Shooting Sports!  So in addition to teaching friend's wives for well over 3 decades I've taught kids to shoot for almost 24 years now :) .

I've helped as a hand gun Instructor (representing my PPC League that I Co-Chair) for the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club with its' "Ladies Day at the Range" since my good friend & fellow Black Powder shooter Mrs. Anna Brunner came up with the idea about 17 years ago (in 17 years I've made 15 of them!).  The NRA came to her & copied the format from which they created "NRA Women On Target"!  Old Bridge's NRA Women On Target does four shooting disciplines:  Shotgun, Black Powder, Static Steel and mine (Police Practical Competition).  I've helped the Second Amendment Women Shooting Club (based out of the Gun For Hire Range in Woodland Park, NJ) since almost its' very inception.  I've taught them how to clean hand guns, how to shoot with safety & confidence, how to teach their kids to shoot, how to hunt pheasant & hogs (via the CNJFO fundraisers), and yesterday at their 4-year Anniversary Party at Sandy's house that my wife & I had the pleasure of being invited to, I brought a 1/2 case of iced Rolling Rock nips & 2 racks of baby-back ribs that I dry-rubbed & cooked on Sandy's grill (she & Shari Spivak are the Co-Founders).

Women do pee in packs.  I've been married to one for 34 years so I know this to be a FACT!  Yes they do feel somewhat threatened by overly aggressive males telling them what to do.  Yes, H.E. is 100% correct in that women are much easier to teach, and for ALL of the reasons he lists!  Some women LOVE the pink guns genre, others HATE it!  They're all different in what shooting disciplines they like the most.  One of my best friends is a women shooter that's been pouring EXPLOSIVES for decades (the previously mentioned Anna Brunner) right along with "the Guys" and because of camaraderie & club-style competition she decided it was time for her to earn her NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzle Loading Rifle!  Some women only can stand to shoot .22's, others gravitate to 1911 .45 autos like SAW member Karen Casazza.  Still others like to shoot 2011 double-stack race guns like nationally-ranked 3-Gunner 17 yr old Katelyn Francis whose exploits have been on You Tube for 4 years now.  There's a 4 yr old video of her 3-Gunnin' with a selective-fire (full auto) 5.56 rifle, a youth model semi-auto 12 ga. scattergun w/ extended mag tube (ILLEGAL in NJ for Peel) and her Glock that was specially cut & shaped at the grip to fit her (then tiny) 13 yr old hands!  Not every female shooter is a competitor.  Some (most) do it for self-protection or they treat it like a fire extinguisher:  great to have around the house, but not really eager to deploy it & have to clean-up a huge mess afterwards.  Women like to shoot together recreation-ally for the same reason(s) they like to paint together at these popular painting parties where wine is served, or go to a women-only gym class.  Just because it's fun & they can "let their hair down", not wear make-up(?), commiserate about daily hectic life in NJ, their husbands & boyfriends, etc., etc.

Form a Peel post:

".... getting into shooting. If a "women only" beginner-level class - or a women's shooting club -  helps get their feet in the door, gets them acclimated to the range environment and feeling more comfortable, and emboldens them to continue on their journey solo and in regular mixed classes... I just don't understand why you think that's such a bad thing! I mean, everyone's different... right? Some women, I think, really prefer (or even need) that softer entry into the shooting sports. Why should they be denied that?"  ------SAW & Women On Target were invented to satisfy this very need!  So my answer is they shouldn't be denied it, BUT they shouldn't take women's only Force-On-Force Training classes because statistically their Rapist isn't 5' nuthin', 125 pounds & unarmed.  He's 6' tall & outweighs them by 50-100 pounds or more.  So when it's time to learn a disarming technique, practice roundhouse leg kicks or how to kick or knee testicles please keep it REAL by askin' your Instructor what size adversary he or she plans to use, cause there's a time & place for "Women ONLY" and then there AIN'T!

Mrs. Zeke needs to attend a Beginner Class for IDPA because that competitor within her would LOVE it!  Period!  Mr. Stu (a member here) is running just such a class.  Suggest you PM him here or friend him on Facebook (Stuart Gepp).  Stu is a great guy & a personal friend of mine!  He's a Blimey Englishman, so he "talks a bit funny", but don't let THAT bother you!

The largest growing market segment for the firearms industry is the 21-50 year old female.  All the Trade Journals are filled with articles about women shooters.  From security to competition, from scattergunnin' to 3-Position Small Bore (what Peel just tried with her Uncle's older rifle), from concealed carry under the boobs (via a Flash Bang Holster) to attending Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone: Diversity Shoot", there are more women than ever before yearning for firearms education.  The BSA Shooting Crew that I volunteer at once every-so-often has just as many girls age 13-21 as guys, and a female member is in charge of the Crew!

Women sometimes need a "little push" to realize their full potential in the shooting sports.  They've been "programmed", especially in the urban areas of NJ, that guns are evil.  One such SAW member brought her daughter to a SAW Shoot at Gun For Hire a coupla-three years ago.  She wanted her daughter to "try it out" & asked me to try to encourage her.  I volunteered for Sandy & Shari to help them get more shooting ports "covered" with an Instructor.  After showing the daughter that my S&W K-.22 Masterpiece wasn't going to bite & had almost ZERO recoil by doing a demo shooting it with only my pointer & middle finger and thumb of my weak hand holding the revolver and my strong hand pinky to squeeze the trigger to fire the gun, the soon-to-become softball player tried the revo with BOTH hands & shot several cylinders' worth of .22's I was enthralled to donate to the cause.  Worried about what her Facebook friends would say & think, she asked not to be tagged as being anywhere near the Range.  Fast forward to present day and this SAW Member & Mom quit her day job and is now a full-time FFL, and together with her business partner (a Man--OMG!--and he's a Hunter with his son too!) is seeking final Investors for NJ's first 100 yard Indoor Range!  Mom (my good friend Melissa Deeney of Legacy Indoor Range & Armory in Cinnaminson, NJ) now has a daughter (Baelie) that loves to shoot Trap with her, so they bring a 12 ga. for each of them to shoot on the firing line while squaded together!

There's LOTS of other stories & experiences I can recite from memory.  Guys at the Old Bridge Club have brought their wives to me to teach them a discipline they're only "marginal" in (I'm sorta multi-disciplined).  Grannies loving the kick of a 12 ga. or a .45-70 Trap Door during "Ladies Day".  A female friend with a neck injury that loves to bench rest her AR.  A neighbor (a Nurse w/ 9 yr old daughter) I brought to the Range several times & convinced her to join the Club now shoots our Static Steel league competitively with her .22 hand gun.  She even ordered a custom pink kydex holster for it!  The list is never ending, and so are the reasons women like to shoot.  I embrace them all with open arms & an open mind!

If any of the readership here would like to get their woman to the range, I will assist you.  And to our women reading this:  Ladies, take your time, pick your platform/discipline (figure out whatcha wanna try) and I'll get you pointed in the right direction :) 

Rosey, VP, Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

http://www.cnjfo.com

P.S.:  Our first General Membership Meeting is Tuesday July 25th at 7:00pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall in South Amboy.  All are welcome!

Here's (then 13 yr old) Katy Francis from FOUR YEARS AGO (see video).  NJ's Shyanne Roberts is now in the Carolina's putting down roots & searching for 3-Gun action after a brief stint in Texas.  Look for Shyanne's videos as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXjgRd90BE

Not too long.

but. You ain't no chic dude

29 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Not too long.

but. You ain't no chic dude

Well yeah, there is THAT, lol!  Here's Sandy & 10 yr old daughter Molly Muldoon at last year's CNJFO Pheasant Hunt w/ Patrick Giberson & Murn from Giberson Wildlife Preserve in Pemberton Twp.  Sandy borrowed my son's yout model Beretta 20 ga. gas operated semi-auto that fits her like a glove.  Yes the "h" is missing:  the EYE-talians never inscribed the "h", so the scattergun is all ready for the sequel to the movie, "My Cousin Vinny", lol!

15134465_10210355098887361_653288864_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Well yeah, there is THAT, lol!  Here's Sandy & 10 yr old daughter Molly Muldoon at last year's CNJFO Pheasant Hunt w/ Patrick Giberson & Murn from Giberson Wildlife Preserve in Pemberton Twp.  Sandy borrowed my son's yout model Beretta 20 ga. gas operated semi-auto that fits her like a glove.  Yes the "h" is missing:  the EYE-talians never inscribed the "h", so the scattergun is all ready for the sequel to the movie, "My Cousin Vinny", lol!

15134465_10210355098887361_653288864_n.jpg

Idk bro, think we need to work the couples angle. Peel and MrsZ and Sandy ain't the norm. I'd say @Cereza but ...

32 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Idk bro, think we need to work the couples angle. Peel and MrsZ and Sandy ain't the norm. I'd say @Cereza but ...

They weren't the "norm" a few short years ago.  These days they're becoming the "Norm" as women choose to arm themselves defensively, and then their interests "branch-out" into multiple aspects of the gun ownership scene (just as Peel quoted in this thread).  I have lots of female friends that shoot competitively at local & statewide matches for various disciplines:  clays, action, steel, 3-Gun, Bullseye, even hunting.  Here's a pic from OBR&PC's 2017 NRA Women On Target.  Just one of 70 women I taught that day at my Station.  1st Timer, in the 10-ring in less than 2 cylinder's worth using the aforementioned S&W K-.22 masterpiece.  Women LISTEN to suggestions to improve their technique REALLY WELL!

18222089_10211185688030233_6806884815993243285_n.jpg

On 7/1/2017 at 4:44 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I guess what I'm curious about  is how many of you guys have significant others that AREN'T into shooting --- and:

• have you tried to woo them in? Or do you prefer that they're not into it (Hey maybe you prefer your "guy time" --- I don't judge that btw - everyone needs time without the SO)
  • if you want them to join you in shooting, why? Just for fun, as something you can enjoy together? Or for safety --- because you want them to know (in an emergency) how to open the safe, protect the family, etc.?
  • if you've begged and they've refused... why do you think that is? Do they just not want you bossing them around at the range? (LOL) Or do they just not see the value in guns at all?

Just wondering...

I've tried to get my wife to shoot - I've brought her before.  She was like "eh - it's ok but kinda boring".  Now, we were just punching holes in paper... but still - she's done it.  I will bring her again when we both have more time, to make sure she's familiar with 'em.  She does have smaller hands too so I will probably have to get another gun for her to shoot better...  The M&P Shield I have on order may fit that bill.

I do want her to shoot more in case I'm not home and she has to grab one of my guns.  She's aware of where my stuff is right now but she wouldn't grab one of them unless I had one and told her to grab one too.

• Like 2

I became interested in firearms on my own, no husband or boyfriend encouragement needed. Simply put, my husband died and I needed something active to do. My Dad had been an Army Ranger sharpshooter so I figured that I'd try it. Three years and five guns later, I'm still here.

Personally, I think that the percentage of female shooters is increasing. I'm guessing that many are initially attracted for self-defense purposes. For me it's a combination of things: self-defense, sport, hobby, and activity. I enjoy my time at the range (GFH) and I see more and more women there every month. Most are there with a male, but at least women are there. Then again, most males are there with other males so that might not be gender-related.

I think the times they are a changin'. Women seem to be more comfortable with firearms in general. Some women prefer an all-women's introductory class and others are fine with co-ed. I'm seeing less gender division, which is a good thing. Personally, I see no need to change anything with this site, I find it to be pretty female friendly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gunsrlegal said:

....Personally, I think that the percentage of female shooters is increasing. ..

I agree.  20 years ago, I never saw a woman in a gun shop.  1/3 of the people in gun shops now are women.  Many are there with their husbands but they're not just along for the ride.  They're usually both looking at the guns and asking questions, deciding which gun they are buying together.

I realize it's off topic but I also never saw any people of color in gun shops 20 years ago.  They make up a pretty significant buying group now.  I've even seen a few black women shopping for guns all buy themselves.  The probability of seeing that 20 years ago was about as close to zero as you can get.

Frankly, I'm glad.  The more people that take up shooting, the better off we are.  I want someone in every family and social group who loves guns.  The next time someone bring up an anti-gun theory anywhere, there should be someone there to educate them and invite them to the range.

• Like 3

Women & people of color(s) are always coming to Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone: Diversity Shoot".  Many are friends & CNJFO members.  It's not just old, fat white guys anymore :) .  These Newbies attend a Diversity Shoot & then go out and start buying the firearms that they enjoyed shooting.  Several Manufacturer's Reps attend these Shoots, making access to new Toyz that much easier.  Lots of guys that tried to bring their wives to a Range & got NO for an answer have managed to bring them to Tony's Shoot.  One of my friends, a Paterson Cop, brought his Mom shooting for the first time.  This image is one of several ladies that attended a Diversity Shoot recently.  Tony's next Shoot is the 1st Thursday in August.  Gun For Hire 6pm.  Pizza & soda is free, but Tony asks that you participate in the raffle.  Male & female Instructors from all races & colors, including me (the fat White guy) :) 

13907002_10210038217249845_610644631529229735_n.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting article... on a woman's online newsletter. It lists both pro- and con- points ...makes an attempt at least at being somewhat even-handed (more than most these days). It reminded me of this older thread... so I'm adding it on:

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-are-millennial-women-buying-guns-a-surge-in-female-carry-products-is-making-people-wonder-79976?utm_source=Ammo.com+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=91baa28885-AC_Newsletter_9_8_17_NL_List&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_835c3fc179-91baa28885-322778277 

My wife has a Pavlovian reaction every time I mention going to the range. More often than not, she brings it up. She won't go alone and whish she would. But I can't complain. We both grew up in societies without guns and here we are.

I saw that article elsewhere. I think one thing it misses, which you would if you weren't a shooter, is that you are getting more women shooters because dads are more involved in raising the kids in modern households. Range time becomes quality time, and for whatever reason, more daughters are there than sons taking advantage of such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

I saw that article elsewhere. I think one thing it misses, which you would if you weren't a shooter, is that you are getting more women shooters because dads are more involved in raising the kids in modern households. Range time becomes quality time, and for whatever reason, more daughters are there than sons taking advantage of such.

That makes sense! Good insight. I do see dads and daughters at ranges pretty frequently. Not only is it nice bonding time and potentially a lifelong shared hobby, but I'm guessing some dads might view it as an extension of their "protector" role - by teaching their daughters how to protect themselves! 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 4:52 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

That makes sense! Good insight. I do see dads and daughters at ranges pretty frequently. Not only is it nice bonding time and potentially a lifelong shared hobby, but I'm guessing some dads might view it as an extension of their "protector" role - by teaching their daughters how to protect themselves! 

I was just going to type the same thing^^^ as far as "Protector role".  We see it at Old Bridge a LOT, in several disciplines.  Also some women aren't afraid to become members of a private gun club.  One female was just voted in to full active membership last Thursday night at the OBR&PC club meeting.  Years ago it was the "odd duck" female, and few & far between.  Today, not so much...  She didn't have anyone there "supporting/encouraging her", she merely showed-up with her Probie paperwork filled-out correctly & was voted in!