Zeke

A woman's perspective of shooting

I'm tagging whom I know or think to be ladies. I'd like to open a dialogue about what you see with 2a and shooting in general. I can't base my paradigm off jus my experience wit @Mrs.Zeke.

@Cereza

@Mrs. Peel

@Gunsrlegal

@Ray Ray

or talk bout the whole environment, YouTube , this forum , ranges, instruction, groups,etc. what needs to change? To make big change?

Thankyou in advance 

Let's be realistic.  This is mainly a man's past time.   MOST women get into guns via their male counterpart, whether it's her husband or boyfriend or father or brother.   It's a fact.  What more can the gun community do for females?  There just isn't a large enough market for them.

• Like 1

I feel like this is going to be a male dominated thread from the get go. The shooting industry and people into firearms in general are 96% male. Most women that are into shooting got into it from their dad or husband. Yes that is a loose made up statistic.

This isn't to say anything negative about women! Most ladies who shoot a gun usually do better off the bat it seems. Wether that is due to genealogy or just pure adrenaline is up to people way smarter than me to interpret.

As to the market in general their is about a million more products geared to the fudds, neck beards and keyboard commandos than their are towards women

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Also purple is gender neutral

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

I feel like this is going to be a male dominated thread from the get go. The shooting industry and people into firearms in general are 96% male. Most women that are into shooting got into it from their dad or husband. Yes that is a loose made up statistic.

This isn't to say anything negative about women! Most ladies who shoot a gun usually do better off the bat it seems. Wether that is due to genealogy or just pure adrenaline is up to people way smarter than me to interpret.

Let's change that

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

You forgot @Sandy and @shizzoizzo7

I'm sure more than that

Just now, Purple Patrick said:

Why are their dedicated women's only classes? Is it because most people seeking actually training are men?*

*devils advocate

I think its sociological. But, that's why I'm asking

There's plenty of studies and polls showing that women get into guns more for "protection" than sport or hunting. I just posted an article about that earlier today. Here's another one (though from a few years back, so numbers have probably skewed higher already). https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0214/Why-gun-ownership-among-US-women-is-climbing

Here's the money quote IMO:

But personal safety is the overriding reason women become interested in guns, at least initially, experts agree.

“Women typically own guns for safety reasons, then branch out to target shooting and hunting,” says NRA spokeswoman Stephanie Samford. “Men, on the other hand, get into guns for hunting. Safety is a secondary concern.”

Paxton Quigley, the author of women’s self-defense and gun books, says broad lifestyle changes – women waiting longer to get married, choosing to live alone, and more often serving as head of household – coincides with women’s rising interest in guns.

“There is a different attitude now, that women need to take responsibility for their own safety,” she says.

That part in boldface... that's always been my theory of why women are getting more into shooting. Demographics are changing. Single women are statistically much more likely than single men to buy a single-family home for instance... well, if you're going to buy your own castle, why wouldn't you protect it?... and its inhabitants? And women know that if someone breaks into their house, it's most likely going to be a guy --- bigger, taller, heavier, stronger. You're physically outmatched. That's just harsh reality. A woman's experience/attitude about personal security is COMPLETELY different than a guy's! If I (or any of my girlfriend's) are leaving the mall late at night, we are keenly aware if there's a rundown old van parked RIGHT next to our car. Wheels in the brain are spinning, we're calculating risk, figuring how best to approach the situation, etc.  And hell, I'm a lifelong risk-taker, and even I'm leery of that situation! Most guys I know wouldn't think TWICE --- they wouldn't even notice the van any more than a motorcycle. Another example... the first thing my single girlfriends do when they move into a new house? New locks and motion detector lights! My single guy friends --- it wouldn't even occur to them! They are either more confident that they won't get jumped - or - if they did, that they could fend off an attacker.

1 hour ago, Purple Patrick said:

Yeah, you're wrong on your loose statistic. Even 3 or 4 years ago, apparently 15% of gun owners were women. Not a huge number, but a lot bigger than 4% --- and it's probably even higher now.

1 hour ago, Purple Patrick said:

Why are their dedicated women's only classes? Is it because most people seeking actually training are men?*

1) For god's sake, we even go to the bathroom in packs! Women are social creatures.  :girldance::girldance:

2) Ranges are still testosterone-filled places that some women might find intimidating... a woman in a range is greatly outnumbered. A chicks class is probably more comfortable for many.

3) On a practical note, for places like Pennsylvania with concealed carry, how utterly ridiculous does a male instructor look "demonstrating" a concealed carry purse to the students?... or worse yet, one of those bra holsters?! LOL.

• Like 3

I was in tanners in PA and a woman walked in pushing a stroller and asked to see the newest carry pieces they had to offer. As a Jersian who has carried out of state it was a very sombering moment how we really have no rights here

• Like 1

Yeah, the ladies shooting group I belonged to at Heritage Guild in Easton (before they changed ranges) --- those ladies are packin' heat. I was shocked! Half the women in the room carried - and carried regularly too - like every day.

If you are going to make the decision to carry a gun, carrying any less than every day is short sighted. That's true whether you are male or female. You can't make an appointment to get in a deadly force confrontation - if you could, instead of deciding to carry you should decide to stay home. Carrying is a lifestyle choice.

I have a hard time getting this point through to my people with regards to off duty carry. You can't just carry at Christmas time, or only if you are going to Newark or Trenton*. You can just as easily get into it at the Wawa around the corner tomorrow night in the nicest part of the safest town in America. You are trained, you have the equipment, now you need the mindset. Be prepared.

As an Instructor, I'll take women students over men all day long. They pay attention, they listen, there is no ego, they take criticism well, they make the suggested changes, they are all around better students.

As for women only classes - I think that's a mistake. They don't make women only convenience stores, or women only food stores. As a women you are going to use your gun in the real world. Get used to it. No instructor worth his salt will tolerate any harassment, belittling, etc.. from anyone towards anyone. Yes, Vet your instructor and make sure they are teaching what you want to learn. Yes, by all means take classes at your level - beginner, advanced, whatever - but don't restrict yourself to classes based on gender.

All of the quality instructors I have attended classes with refuse to do women only classes. They all also prefer to coach/teach women over men for the reasons I have stated above.

Women shooters, on the whole, are growing in numbers, getting more involved in the shooting sports, the 2A movement, and the training world, and that is awesome.

* That's not to say you shouldn't conduct informal threat assessments before traveling. You should absolutely be aware of your surroundings and have realistic expectations for the places you are traveling to - and then possibly make adult decisions to NOT go certain places based on your assessment.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, High Exposure said:

As an Instructor, I'll take women students over men all day long. They pay attention, they listen, there is no ego, they take criticism well, they make the suggested changes, they are all around better students.

As for women only classes - I think that's a mistake. They don't make women only convenience stores, or women only food stores. As a women you are going to use your gun in the real world. Get used to it. No instructor worth his salt will tolerate any harassment, belittling, etc.. from anyone towards anyone. Yes, Vet your instructor and make sure they are teaching what you want to learn. Yes, by all means take classes at your level - beginner, advanced, whatever - but don't restrict yourself to classes based on gender.

All of the quality instructors I have attended classes with refuse to do women only classes. They all also prefer to coach/teach women over men for the reasons I have stated above.

That's an interesting perspective! The only class I took so far was "mixed" - which was fine by me. But I don't want to judge by my own personality - or my own limited experience.

You clearly have a ton of expertise about shooting, and granted, I have none. But, my understanding of human nature makes me think this: some women clearly feel a little timid initially about getting into shooting. If a "women only" beginner-level class - or a women's shooting club -  helps get their feet in the door, gets them acclimated to the range environment and feeling more comfortable, and emboldens them to continue on their journey solo and in regular mixed classes... I just don't understand why you think that's such a bad thing! I mean, everyone's different... right? Some women, I think, really prefer (or even need) that softer entry into the shooting sports. Why should they be denied that?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

That's an interesting perspective! The only class I took so far was "mixed" - which was fine by me. But I don't want to judge by my own personality - or my own limited experience.

You clearly have a ton of expertise about shooting, and granted, I have none. But, my understanding of human nature makes me think this: some women clearly feel a little timid initially about getting into shooting. If a "women only" beginner-level class - or a women's shooting club -  helps get their feet in the door, gets them acclimated to the range environment and feeling more comfortable, and emboldens them to continue on their journey solo and in regular mixed classes... I just don't understand why you think that's such a bad thing! I mean, everyone's different... right? Some women, I think, really prefer (or even need) that softer entry into the shooting sports. Why should they be denied that?

HE me thinks, ain't a foreplay guy. " This is life, deal with it...." But life, and its paradigm vary vastly.

im a " whatever works , dude" guy.

we gotta problem let's fix it.

I guess what I'm curious about  is how many of you guys have significant others that AREN'T into shooting --- and:

• have you tried to woo them in? Or do you prefer that they're not into it (Hey maybe you prefer your "guy time" --- I don't judge that btw - everyone needs time without the SO)
  • if you want them to join you in shooting, why? Just for fun, as something you can enjoy together? Or for safety --- because you want them to know (in an emergency) how to open the safe, protect the family, etc.?
  • if you've begged and they've refused... why do you think that is? Do they just not want you bossing them around at the range? (LOL) Or do they just not see the value in guns at all?

Just wondering...

• Like 1

The only "women only" course I'm aware of is the "Women On Target" course I've seen advertised at the range I shoot at.  It seems to be an introduction to firearms for beginners.  I can only assume the "women only" nature of the course it to put the participants more at ease that they are around only other women and don't have to worry about male ego or testosterone.

• Like 1

My wife will reluctantly go shooting with me if I ask.  She has tolerated me for a long time.  It's been important to me that she could use a gun in an emergency if she had too and she's been kind enough to go along for the ride.

On the other hand - there is a woman at work in her mid 30's who wants to buy a gun...get this...for fun.  She'll use it for home defense but primarily wants to go out and go shooting at the range on the weekend.  She had never shot a handgun before so I invited her to the range. I let her shoot several handguns and we talked about the different actions, calibers, etc.  She hasn't bought one yet but is considering her options.   I suspect that's pretty unusual.  I've known a few women who liked to shoot.  I've known several who would put up with it to spend time with their husbands.  I know a couple of women that grew up hunting and now go hunting with their husbands or sons but probably wouldn't go on their own.  I only know one who did not grow up with guns and is interested in shooting for fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I guess what I'm curious about  is how many of you guys have significant others that AREN'T into shooting --- and:

• have you tried to woo them in? Or do you prefer that they're not into it (Hey maybe you prefer your "guy time" --- I don't judge that btw - everyone needs time without the SO)
  • if you want them to join you in shooting, why? Just for fun, as something you can enjoy together? Or for safety --- because you want them to know (in an emergency) how to open the safe, protect the family, etc.?
  • if you've begged and they've refused... why do you think that is? Do they just not want you bossing them around at the range? (LOL) Or do they just not see the value in guns at all?

Just wondering...

Wife does not like guns, just seems to have no use for them or what they represent to her. I do not pressure her, I respect her choice.... 

^^^^THIS^^^^  My wife hates guns! She's not afraid of them, just has no interest and hates that I spend money on them when I can only shoot one gun at a time, why do I need more. She said the same thing whenever I bought an expensive watch.Her $30 Timex did the same thing as my Omega James Bond watch. She will never get it!

My wife doesn't care. She tells me as long as all the other bills are paid. Se knows they are my hobby and an investment. I guess she realizes that I could be spending money on gambling and strip clubs. These are tangible assets. I still want to get her to go shooting with me though. 

33 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

On the other hand - there is a woman at work in her mid 30's who wants to buy a gun...get this...for fun.  She'll use it for home defense but primarily wants to go out and go shooting at the range on the weekend.  ...

I suspect that's pretty unusual.  I've known a few women who liked to shoot.  I've known several who would put up with it to spend time with their husbands.  I know a couple of women that grew up hunting and now go hunting with their husbands or sons but probably wouldn't go on their own.  I only know one who did not grow up with guns and is interested in shooting for fun.

I think that's changing. I really do. I see a lot of women shooting "for fun". It might be a self-defense concern - or a hubbie/boyfriend -  that draws them in, but once they start, many will stick with it for the fun.

What I'm personally stunned by on my own personal journey is how many OPTIONS there are in the shooting sports. Like last night, I went shooting with my uncle and he brought along his Winchester Model 52 (apparently it was the popular bolt action 22 target rifle of its day, whereas now other brands are more popular). I was soooo struck by how different the experience was than other types of shooting. Bench rest.... virtually no recoil....and the itsy-bitsy tiny little targets - with a bull's eye about the size of a pencil eraser were (dare I say?) ADORBS! Even the sound was really quiet. (Unfortunately, I got instantly "hooked" - so now Mrs. Peel wants a light rifle too - oh why, oh why does the purchase list keep expanding? This is a problem!)

My point is, that kind of shooting was like 180 degrees different (for example) than the IDPA match I once observed. I'm convinced there's a shooting sport for everyone. That's why those events (like Women on Target) that expose women to LOTS of different firearms/events during a fun social day are a really good idea IMO.

2 minutes ago, BlueLineFish said:

I still want to get her to go shooting with me though. 

Who knows? If more people feel that way, maybe we should set up some "NJGF bring the significant other" events? She might feel more interested if there was a social aspect to it. Just a thought...

My GF of several years enjoys shooting a lot.  Her father is a firearms enthusiast and NRA certified instructor and introduced her to shooting in her early teens, so she had lots of exposure to firearms growing up.  She went with me to one of the NJGF shotgun shootouts a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.  She, her father and I go shooting together about once every other month, and she'll go shooting with me any time I suggest it.

She enjoys .22LR pistols and rifles the most; she's an awesome shot with my 10/22. She'll try most anything that doesn't kick too hard (My 12ga shotties and AK variant are not to her liking).  She enjoyed the hell out of shooting my Browning M1919 though.

She doesn't own any firearms herself  - she talks about getting an FID occasionally, and I encourage her every time she mentions it, but hasn't made the time to do it yet.  I've sent her links to the facebook SAW group, but not sure if she ever took a look at it or reached out to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

My GF of several years enjoys shooting a lot.  Her father is a firearms enthusiast and NRA certified instructor and introduced her to shooting in her early teens, so she had lots of exposure to firearms growing up.  She went with me to one of the NJGF shotgun shootouts a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.  She, her father and I go shooting together about once every other month, and she'll go shooting with me any time I suggest it.

She enjoys .22LR pistols and rifles the most; she's an awesome shot with my 10/22. She'll try most anything that doesn't kick too hard (My 12ga shotties and AK variant are not to her liking).  She enjoyed the hell out of shooting my Browning M1919 though.

She doesn't own any firearms herself  - she talks about getting an FID occasionally, and I encourage her every time she mentions it, but hasn't made the time to do it yet.  I've sent her links to the facebook SAW group, but not sure if she ever took a look at it or reached out to them.

I've talked to my wife about SAW. Idk, she has a lot going on.

What is SAW?

I am not sure about all the polls etc on women shooter/gun owners. Where do "they" get that info anyway?

I can tell you my experience ...

I grew up around guns my dad would answer any question We ever had about them or how they work. (Except where he kept them). We would watch as he cleaned his guns etc. He wanted me to go hunting and I was interested, but I couldn't get myself to kill animals.  

I shot a few of his shotguns over the years. It was fun but not overwhelming. 

Then came the time Zeke wanted to get a handgun. So I got one too, bc it has to be fair if shit goes down , ya know :p

First time I fired a handgun I was taken back by how different the experience was... the same thing that intimidated me that 1st day, is the very thing I love now. 

Feeling that sheer power in your hand!  Add my competitiveness, and I was hooked on handguns!!! 

If I could only find a nice range, I would probably be there multiple times a week. I like to know the rules and excel at what I do, so I really should find some classes.

I would not care either way who was in my class as long as I am getting quality instruction. 

Defense is an added benefit to owning guns. It's nice to know we can protect ourselves, but it's a lot of added stress in the moment. 

I got interested in guns for protection after my neighbor was badly beaten outside of my house. I got a gun and then enjoyed shooting so I got a few more. I cannot for the life of me get my wife to touch any of my guns, forget about taking her to the range. I won't press it for now, and someday I'll guilt her into going with me. I did get her to watch me operate all of the functions of my HD gun a few times so that hopefully she can use it. She seems to be afraid of guns and just doesn't like them. Those of you that have met me know that in my community it is uncommon to meet a gun owner so perhaps that taboo is what bothers her :dontknow: 

Seems like people in general have a fear of what they don't understand.  

I have a friend that we took to the range, she loved it. Was checking out a pink AR15 in the gun shop afterward. 

Flash forward a few months and the "media" is reporting about a shooting and the gun man used and "assault rifle". Same friend it going off about you shouldn't be allowed to own "assault rifles" why do people need them etc?

So when I explained that it was the same pretty pink gun she saw at the range. And it means ArmaLite rifle not assault rifle, her mouth dropped. "Oh, why would they call it that then... that gun didn't seem bad?"   :facepalm:

We learn everything we know from our environment. The prejudgment, fear, gender biases etc. 

So it seems to me eduction is the key. 

• Like 3