Displaced Texan

Fireworks legalized in NJ

11 hours ago, capt14k said:

Agreed M-80 brand firecrackers are not M-80's. I used to get mine in Chinatown. I think you still can. Just when we were younger one guy would get them from Chinatown or a guy in Staten Island who likely got them from Chinatown then he would sell them to everyone else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yep, Chinatown, used to get M-80's, Cherry bombs, Silver Solutes, Ashcans, some real loud stuff.

I remember a time my father, a fire department chief, lit off one of those real cherry bombs on a fence post.  Back then we had a fence made of wood poles and people often nailed the cut out from a tin can on the pole to keep the rain out.  The force of the blast sent a small piece of shrapnel flying and hit my dad right in the ass!  He was fine, other than getting yelled at by my mom.  We laughed pretty hard.

14 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Yep, Chinatown, used to get M-80's, Cherry bombs, Silver Solutes, Ashcans, some real loud stuff.

I remember a time my father, a fire department chief, lit off one of those real cherry bombs on a fence post.  Back then we had a fence made of wood poles and people often nailed the cut out from a tin can on the pole to keep the rain out.  The force of the blast sent a small piece of shrapnel flying and hit my dad right in the ass!  He was fine, other than getting yelled at by my mom.  We laughed pretty hard.

Back in the day my brother and I found a blockbuster on the beach in Hampton Bays New York on the morning of July 5th. My dad lit it off because it had a very short fuse. He ended up with a bunch of sand and small rocks blasted into his back and legs. Lmao 

17 hours ago, Fred2 said:

So you're gonna tell me that you don't have no black cats, no Roman Candles, or screaming mimis?

No.

Oh come on, man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?

No, I don't.

You're gonna stand there, ownin' a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

No... because snakes and sparklers are the only ones I like.

Well that might be your problem, it's not what you like, it's the consumer.

Joe dirt! 

• Like 1

All Walmarts within a 50 mile radius has fireworks, except for mine 1mi from me. After work today I went to the Target by my work in Rockaway and they had about 8-10 of these left for $29.99. Pretty much all fountains. 

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Had a great show in Millburn last night.   Close to 1400 shells, 5" max diameter, 30 minutes of hand-fired goodness.    Finished cleanup and left the field about 3:15 am...   

Someone posted a video of the shoot, but fireworks are best enjoyed live.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdzDE4etpk

On 6/30/2017 at 9:05 PM, 10X said:

They do lead to harder stuff.  I'm sure I started with sparklers as a young child.   Now I have a very cool one-day-a-year part-time job as crew chief for a fireworks company, shooting municipal fireworks shows.

Here's a shooter's-eye view of the Millburn finale two years ago.   There are about 700 shells chain-fused in this one, the biggest shells being 5" diameter.     

Millburn, NJ 4th of July Finale, 2015

Do you work for a display operator? I have an ATF Type 54 license and shoot 1.3 product.. you can get the license in NJ, ATF came down from North Jersey and interviewed me and approved the application. I shoot product in PA, NJ has the whole license requirement if you want to fire electrically.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:03 PM, mossburger said:

Never understood why fireworks laws weren't done at the county or local level. Blowing off Roman candles in Essex county where you're 6 feet from the neighbor's house? NO. Shooting them on a 7/8 acre in Freehold? Why the heck not!

Because of injuries. NJ was one of the first States to ban consumer fireworks. The irony? New Jersey had a few companies that manufactured consumer fireworks based here till the 70s/80s. Vineland Firework Mfg. Co., in Cumberland County comes to mind.

10 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

Do you work for a display operator? I have an ATF Type 54 license and shoot 1.3 product.. you can get the license in NJ, ATF came down from Norh Jersey and interviewed me and approved the application. I shoot product in PA, NJ has the whole license requirement if you want to fire electrically.

I shoot for Pyrotecnico (one of the big national concerns).   It's as cool a one-day-a-year part-time job as one could hope to have.  I started out with Fireworks by Girone, which became Vineland Fireworks, which sold to Pyrotecnico when the matriarch of the family decided she was too old to run the business.

I'm a crew chief for them, or in the vernacular of the fire code, the 'operator'.  Most of the permitting resides with the company; my crew and I only need to have BATFE explosive possessor's permits, and those aren't as useful as one might think; only good day of show, on the show grounds.  NJ also has licensing requirements for electrically-fired shows, which I've never bothered to get.    Hand fired shows are just more fun!

48 minutes ago, 10X said:

I shoot for Pyrotecnico (one of the big national concerns).   It's as cool a one-day-a-year part-time job as one could hope to have.  I started out with Fireworks by Girone, which became Vineland Fireworks, which sold to Pyrotecnico when the matriarch of the family decided she was too old to run the business.

I'm a crew chief for them, or in the vernacular of the fire code, the 'operator'.  Most of the permitting resides with the company; my crew and I only need to have BATFE explosive possessor's permits, and those aren't as useful as one might think; only good day of show, on the show grounds.  NJ also has licensing requirements for electrically-fired shows, which I've never bothered to get.    Hand fired shows are just more fun!

Small world! You probably know Dino from the Vineland site?. 

It sounds like the Easton PA Fireworks stores along I-78 have nothing to worry about...   :D

Florida, I've discovered, has some quirks in their fireworks laws that allow the stores to exist and sell them, but the buyer has to sign some kind of waiver that they are being used for "appropriate uses within the law."  Setting them off in your back yard (or the front) for celebratory purposes is *not* an appropriate use.  Technically, only Sparklers, fountains, snakes and glow worms can be sold legally to consumers for "celebratory" purposes.  Still, there are a ton of fireworks stores all over the place that sell everything.

See this article on Florida Fireworks laws.

9 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Small world! You probably know Dino from the Vineland site?. 

The name is vaguely familiar; I've probably met him at a shooter's seminar, though they haven't run one of those for years.   I don't go down to the Vineland site anymore; got enough seniority to pick the show closest to my house, and I have a crew member who lives down south and has his CDL/Hazmat endorsement, so he picks up the truck and brings it to the show site.

I do kinda miss the old days; Girone/Vineland would have a shooters party in the wee hours of July 5, when the crews would start returning trucks to the compound.    Catered dinner, trash cans full of beer and soda on ice, lots of war stories from the shows just completed...    Finally getting home at 4 am and having to go to my day job later that day I don't miss so much.