67gtonut

Home security cameras

While we are at it and I won't get dragged into another security cam post any more in the future because it's been beaten to death with a dead horse that has bloat from sitting in an open field on a hot and humid day.[emoji31]

Just want to comment about these latest supposedly great cams being sold like Arlo, Nest, Dlink, etc. All great companies. They ALL have their caveats.

For months I have tried justifying buying just a couple for shitz and giggles. Every time I was ready to dive in, I weighed the differences and backed out.

Some are expensive, some require subscriptions. Some only record when there is motion and/or if you want to check a feed. They all seem to have lag issues meaning the subject is in or out of the frame or turned at a crucial time. Yada yada.

I would suggest if you want one of these types, do side by side feature and spec analysis. They are all trying to win over your money. Each one pushes something the other nay not have to grab you from their comp. [emoji848]

HE: I wanted to test a Ring Pro. The orig brick was too big for my entry door, I couldn't do it. The pro was a smaller foot print but still a lousy quarter inch too wide.

But from what I understand, have lag issues. I still wish I could try one.[emoji57]

After all said, $86 for a Foscam does not seem like a bad deal to me. Throw another $35 bux or so and you can get that great BlueIris software. [emoji3]

The only thing I would not recommend with ANY of these cheapo cams, even Foscam is, NEVER buy an outdoor dome cam style with the IR source in the same housing. The IR reflects off the inner dome and washes out the picture. For the life if me why they do that pisses me off and they won't tell you either. IR sources really need to be outside the camera.

I need coffee! Much coffee! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I appreciate all the comments and advice...... Yeah..... just trying to keep it simple....

After reading tons of reviews and articles on the cheaper cameras..... there is a pattern. Most reviewers are thrilled with what they chose..... then there is a small selection of people that cannot seem to set up their camera and get frustrated and write a poor review..... I am going to chalk some of those up to User Error.... 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 2:01 PM, bhunted said:

I know people will critique and bust my balls. But I've been using Foscam for many years and only replaced them years down the pike because sales or tech upgrades. I have several around the house. No subscriptions, easy setup and now, if desired, can record to a mem card, your puter , phone or whatever. Just needs electric and a wiffy signal.
I thought about the later like Ring, Nest, erc. All good, but expensive.
None of which are pan and tilt. Throw a Foscam in your garage for an average of 80 bux and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have two outdoor Foscams, and they were great.  I really liked the interface and ease of setup and use.  Very nice UI (although I have been getting emails and seeing things online about major security issues with the web-based UI on most Chinese sourced cams).

My problem has been reliability.  One died within one year and was replaced under warranty.  The other died after two years (out of warranty) and the warranty replacement died about a year after that (again, out of warranty).  They are cheap enough and I am due for an upgrade, but it is a pain to climb up there and replace them.  And to be fair, most of my outdoor motion-sense lights also exhibit some failure mode after 4-5 years (although they remain partial-mission capable); but they also came with 10 year warranty.

• Like 1

Yep, people that leave bad reviews are a majority done out of frustration no matter the product.
I've been very lucky with hardly any probs. (Knock wood. Damn, now I have a bump! Lol)...
I have mine mounted off the second flr for better coverage. Also, with too much direct heat or sun, their life time fades.
There are warnings about a lot of outdoor products that the manufacturer lists for the end use. Operating temps for one.
Years ago we installed heat resistors in the cam housing for the cold months and a cooling fan like in computers to vent the heat from the housing.Just the nature of technology unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Yep, people that leave bad reviews are a majority done out of frustration no matter the product.
I've been very lucky with hardly any probs. (Knock wood. Damn, now I have a bump! Lol)...
I have mine mounted off the second flr for better coverage. Also, with too much direct heat or sun, their life time fades.
There are warnings about a lot of outdoor products that the manufacturer lists for the end use. Operating temps for one.
Years ago we installed heat resistors in the cam housing for the cold months and a cooling fan like in computers to vent the heat from the housing.Just the nature of technology unfortunately.

Spot on. The culture has come to a point where very complicated technology is now expected to be a toaster. Very very few people understand the tech with wifi much less transmitting real time video over a wireless connection. 

I've been studying a bit and bought Ubiquity routers, unidirectional links and access points. After a very steep learning curve, I've managed to cover over 2 acres and a water front with wifi and Sonos. The tech is amazing. Just not amateur stuff. Like anything worthwhile, it takes some work. As far as I know, there is no off the shelf, plug and play solution that does what these pro products do. 

IMG_9186.PNG

• Like 1

Spot on. The culture has come to a point where very complicated technology is now expected to be a toaster. Very very few people understand the tech with wifi much less transmitting real time video over a wireless connection. 
I've been studying a bit and bought Ubiquity routers, unidirectional links and access points. After a very steep learning curve, I've managed to cover over 2 acres and a water front with wifi and Sonos. The tech is amazing. Just not amateur stuff. Like anything worthwhile, it takes some work. As far as I know, there is no off the shelf, plug and play solution that does what these pro products do. 

IMG_9186.thumb.PNG.f0f76020198d7e84f83ebb78808bf2ce.PNG

Nice shot! When's the BBQ? [emoji482][emoji16]

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Never thought Walt would be a pontoon guy.... 

If you look closely, she has a bar and a 250 merc out back. It does 45 and you can ski off it. With the tri-toon it actually keels so she's nimble too. Best of both worlds. I'm done with cruisers since I got this. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Walt of Destiny said:

If you look closely, she has a bar and a 250 merc out back. It does 45 and you can ski off it. With the tri-toon it actually keels so she's nimble too. Best of both worlds. I'm done with cruisers since I got this. 

Tri troon! I apologize 

On 7/2/2017 at 2:06 PM, bhunted said:

My wife's small home office:

(It's HD and wider, but I cropped it for size and remove her personal belongings from photo).

Foscam HD PTZ Foscam R2 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera (CCTV 1920TVL / IP Camera 2MP) – WiFi Home Security Camera System with iOS/Android App, Pan, Tilt, Zoom, 2-Way Audio, Motion Alerts, and More (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131PHDQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KJtwzbJNFWMM9

BHunted do you run your Foscams wireless or hardwired or combination? I know it's always best to run wired but the location that i am planning means running a long connection which I wanna avoid. I know it has to be plugged in for power as well but wanted to see what your experiences have been. I guess the it's also the environment that would come into play.

14 hours ago, bhunted said:

Not going to help. I had a couple blow the transformers during one of the major storms. Took out one of my cams too.
If its under an eave, it won't most likely take a direct hit. Sounds to me you were affected by surges. Despite what they say, surge protectors don't always work.
I'm sure Nick will concur.emoji3.png

If it were lightning, you would have lost more than a transformer.

Friend of mine in NC had a strike in his neighborhood. Almost everything he had got whacked. Lost his entertainment center, (all on surge protectors), his phones, a printer, his fridge and a few other things I cannot recall.

Was he able to make a claim to the surge suppressor MFR?  Every one I have ever bought says they provide tens of thousands in coverage.  I have never really read the actual contract of coverage, but wondering if they are worth anything or are lightning strikes explicitly excluded?

I do have everything behind SS strips, washer and fridge are on plug-in suppressors and also a whole house SS on my breaker box, and another one on my AC compressor.  But obviously a direct hit will likely blow right through those.

Was he able to make a claim to the surge suppressor MFR?  Every one I have ever bought says they provide tens of thousands in coverage.  I have never really read the actual contract of coverage, but wondering if they are worth anything or are lightning strikes explicitly excluded?
I do have everything behind SS strips, washer and fridge are on plug-in suppressors and also a whole house SS on my breaker box, and another one on my AC compressor.  But obviously a direct hit will likely blow right through those.

They are worth it for brown outs and such but imho, if you get whacked, there isn't anything stopping its path. He had to go via insurance. He was pissed but not about the protectors, but everything he list. Fridge, etc....
But a proper house ground line is important too.

Please elborare more on what IR source does and how it can be inside or outside dome?    What would the language read on the product description ?

Not much to explain. IRs are what gives you nightvision. At night, the IR Leds bounce off the inside of domes and wash out the picture. So night vision is useless on those types of models. I use a ptz dome cam that has the IR Leds separate from the lens.

I have one of these that has been working great.

Wanscam Metal PTZ IP Dome Camera Outdoor Full HD 1080P(1920x1080), Pan/Tilt, Wireless/Wired, Plug/Play Wifi Webcam with 5x Optical Zoom, Clear Night Vision(80 Meters) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT1GXR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jhtxzb36QK836

The traditional dome cam looks like this junker:

Pyle PTZ Outdoor IP Camera HD 960p - Weatherproof Wireless Remote Home WiFi Security Surveillance h.264 ONVIF Video - Outside Pan Tilt Dome 4x Optical Zoom for PC iOS and Android - PIPCAMHD46 White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7TME4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hjtxzbK5E1RT2

29 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

Ok..... set up for now..... will do a more permanent mounting later today...

Question............... Would you guys apply the supplied sticker to a window stating that live monitoring exists? 

1499439495159.jpg

I've always wondered bout that. I don't think it hurts. I jus don't care for them or " guarded by S&W" etc.

what do you think about the cam so far?

I bought the Amcrest cameras last year, which I believe are made by Foscam. I had to return because they consistently didn't work. I had to keep power cycling them, and at one point that didn't even work anymore.

Stickers and signs have always been the first warning in hopes they can read and walk away.

As for Amcrest. Foscam US had a falling out with the mother ship and decided to go for Amcrest. Not sure they are just rebranded though.
The Foscams are more reliable than the Amcrap.

It seems we spend a lot of time discussing quality of the cameras here and a lot of times we drift into very high technical discussions. But what is missing mostly to people who are thinking about setting up the system is the cost.  And the main difference i believe is not the hardware but the ongoing recording monitoring fees with the cloud systems.  So I feel like the decision to go plug and play cloud system like Nest versus DVR is do you mind paying monthly fees or not.

i think the decision heirarchy for most would be.   1. Do I want to record or just live view?    2. Do I want to pay monthly fee or not?   3.  Am I indoor or outdoor?  (This matters because yiu cant stick an indoor camera in the window to look out at night).

only after you know the above should you decide what system you want.   I started with a Simplicam system used it 2 years but just recently got DVR system for new house.    

I agree... You mentioned the notorious cloud. All the whining here about big brother, worrying about wifi, etc., is one good reason not to want the cloud. At least if its on a dvr or a closed circuit, it helps keep big brothers paws off of it. One reason why I don't want a smart tv with a cam, etc.... Most times tape over cam on my laptop, yada yada....

[emoji3]

Can anybody here with a lot of experience with HIK Vision please PM their number?

i can't figure out how to separately record motion.  I have motion set, and it tags motion in the continuous record feed as yellow.  But shouldn't I be able to have motion events stored in a separate "folder" or location to view those vents without having to scroll through continuous record?

im running version 4500.   YouTube is not a lot of help older versions layout is very different.

Anyone have the Ring Floodlight Cam?  Does it work from a second story roof-line?  With my floodlight taking a hit in the storm I may upgrade. All the Ring videos show it at the first-floor roof or garage. Mine would be placed higher up.