Bully

Anyone Else Shooting .223Rem for Precision?

I was just lucky enough to stumble on a great deal on a Tikka T3Tac in .223.  It's a 20" barrel in an 8 twist.  Adjustable cheek piece and decent stock.  The mag carries 6 (I believe).  

I currently am running a 2.5-10 on top but will be putting a 6-24 on it when it shows up.  Initial load testing has it shooting at an inch at 100 with the 77TMK being the best of what I have (82gn Berger / 77TMK / 75 A-Max) on hand at the moment and it's what I'm going to run.  I have Lapua brass and CCI BR4's.  I'm hoping that with a bit more mag and some load development I can cut it in half or better.  Also, I'm single loading them right now and will probably continue to do so.  

Anyone else running a precision rifle in .223?

There are not too many of us here (that post regularly, at least) that shoot STATIONARY rifle competitions.

Myself, I shoot .223 in my LH 1/8 24"match rifle with iron sights (1/4min knobs rear, 30mm front) in Across the Course matches at 100, 200, 300 and 600yd. I'm only carrying a Master classification with no expectation of ever reaching (or being able to maintain) High Master, which is 97% and up. We shoot unsupported offhand slow fire, rapid sitting and rapid prone, and slow prone.

Your 20" barrel is as short as we see generally for these matches. And they are the Service Rifle shooters. Most of the High Masters have put top notch 4.5x max glass on their Service Rifles with the latest rule changes from the CMP. And they're doing pretty well!

Check out the match results on http://www.CumberlandMatches.com  We get shooters from much further away than Bergen County coming to Millville to participate. Our matches there run thru the Fall, then the Frozen Nuts (300yd prone) series begins at SJSC in Winslow in November.

I just got tikka t3x varmint in .223 for target shooting. I chose .223 because my range is 100 yards max; I see no point of shooting bigger calibers. I also a complete newbie with "big" calibers; I only shot .22lr rifles before. I put a good 3x9-40 scope on it but I am not sure if it is the right choice. My target today had 1" red bulls eye but I could not see it through the scope at 100 yards at max magnification. After sighting pretty much all shots went inside of 2" circle. Gotta learn how to shoot better.

9 hours ago, Oleg said:

I just got tikka t3x varmint in .223 for target shooting. I chose .223 because my range is 100 yards max; I see no point of shooting bigger calibers. I also a complete newbie with "big" calibers; I only shot .22lr rifles before. I put a good 3x9-40 scope on it but I am not sure if it is the right choice. My target today had 1" red bulls eye but I could not see it through the scope at 100 yards at max magnification. After sighting pretty much all shots went inside of 2" circle. Gotta learn how to shoot better.

I'm currently shooting an older T3 Tac in .223 and it's a super fun gun to shoot.  I am switching out the glass on it to a 6-24 HS-T Vortex in the next few days.  

Just a heads up, 223 can be competitive to 600 pretty easily and with good handloading practices, goes to 1k fairly well.  Wind is a killer from what I hear but it's entirely doable.  

• Like 1

I picked up a .223 Ruger Precision a few weeks back but haven't really had a chance to shoot it much. I put a box of match ammo through on the first range trip. I was getting ready to take it to the range again a week or so ago and that safety bulletin came out about the bolt shroud issue came out. I filed with Ruger for the free replacement shroud, so it'll sit in the safe until I get the part and make the swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, medved11 said:

I picked up a .223 Ruger Precision a few weeks back but haven't really had a chance to shoot it much. I put a box of match ammo through on the first range trip. I was getting ready to take it to the range again a week or so ago and that safety bulletin came out about the bolt shroud issue came out. I filed with Ruger for the free replacement shroud, so it'll sit in the safe until I get the part and make the swap

Are you loading for it?  

How did she shoot with the factory ammo?

Any idea on what bullet/powder you're gonna run?

Are you loading for it?  
How did she shoot with the factory ammo?
Any idea on what bullet/powder you're gonna run?

I don't do any hand loading right now, so I'm using factory ammo, primarily PMC 77 grain OTM. I've got a few boxes of Federal and Fiocchi match ammo (69 and 77 grain) that I haven't gotten the chance to compare yet.

The PMC match ammo worked out well. The few groups that I was able to shoot with that one box at 100 and 200 yards (after using a few rounds to zero my scope at 50 yards) were consistently in .6" to 1". I was happy with those results given that I'm just getting into the precision stuff. My first group at 200 was around 1.75" but I blame myself for that and not the gun.

I was tempted this weekend to take the gun out before I get the replacement shroud but re-reading the part of the advisory that said that the gun may fire when opening the bolt made me put it back in the safe (it's not worth the risk). Once I've got that fixed I'm going to try the various factory loads that I've got and figure out which one the gun likes best

Medved11,

Very timely post.   I have been wanting to purchase a 223/556 non-semiautomatic for some time.  My short list was the RPR, Mossberg MVP LR, and Troy Pump Action Rifle.  Yesterday, I called my dealer (Jeff at Garden State Shooting Center) and ordered the RPR (Model#18019 223/556). I hope to have it within a week or two.  

I am a novice at precision shooting.  However really enjoy outdoor bench shooting.  Am very encouraged by your results so far (0.6-1.0 MOA).  I anticipate shooting mostly at 100 yards, at least in the near term. Perhaps 200-300 in the future.

- I do not reload so will be using only factory ammo.  I did not have any 223/556 ammo on hand so ordered a variety to test out once the rifle arrives.  Last week I bought a small amount of each of the following (from MidwayUSA and Cabelas).  Once I ascertain what the rifle shoots best, will then purchase more of that particular ammo.  Appreciate any feedback on these ammo choices or suggestions.

• 223-Hornady Black #80234 62 grain FMJ
  • 223-Hornady Black #80267 75 grain BTHP
  • 556-Hornady Black #81263 62 grain FMJ
  • 556-Hornady Black #81296 75 grain Interlock HD
  • 223-Hornady Match #80269 73 grain ELD Match
  • 223-Norma Match TAC-223 55 grain FMJ #20157442/15-038/2567.3266
  • 223-Norma Sierra MatchKing HPBT TAC-223 77 grain #10157502

Also picked up some Aguila 223 and 556 to use as range ammo.  I assume it will not be as accurate as some of the above but will try it and see.

My wishlist of accessories is as follows:  (Feedback and suggestions welcome).

• Nikon BLACK X1000 Rifle Scope, 6-24x50 X-MOA
  • Nikon BLACK 1-Piece Cantilever Scope Mount(#16403).  (Cantilever version needed for proper eye offset.?)
  • Harris HBRMS Bipod.
  • A unipod for the rear???  Need to research this more.

And yes, all the above is going to really stress my budget.  However, I plan to buy once, cry once.  :)

4 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Medved11,

Very timely post.   I have been wanting to purchase a 223/556 non-semiautomatic for some time.  My short list was the RPR, Mossberg MVP LR, and Troy Pump Action Rifle.  Yesterday, I called my dealer (Jeff at Garden State Shooting Center) and ordered the RPR (Model#18019 223/556). I hope to have it within a week or two.  

I am a novice at precision shooting.  However really enjoy outdoor bench shooting.  Am very encouraged by your results so far (0.6-1.0 MOA).  I anticipate shooting mostly at 100 yards, at least in the near term. Perhaps 200-300 in the future.

- I do not reload so will be using only factory ammo.  I did not have any 223/556 ammo on hand so ordered a variety to test out once the rifle arrives.  Last week I bought a small amount of each of the following (from MidwayUSA and Cabelas).  Once I ascertain what the rifle shoots best, will then purchase more of that particular ammo.  Appreciate any feedback on these ammo choices or suggestions.

• 223-Hornady Black #80234 62 grain FMJ
  • 223-Hornady Black #80267 75 grain BTHP
  • 556-Hornady Black #81263 62 grain FMJ
  • 556-Hornady Black #81296 75 grain Interlock HD
  • 223-Hornady Match #80269 73 grain ELD Match
  • 223-Norma Match TAC-223 55 grain FMJ #20157442/15-038/2567.3266
  • 223-Norma Sierra MatchKing HPBT TAC-223 77 grain #10157502

Also picked up some Aguila 223 and 556 to use as range ammo.  I assume it will not be as accurate as some of the above but will try it and see.

My wishlist of accessories is as follows:  (Feedback and suggestions welcome).

• Nikon BLACK X1000 Rifle Scope, 6-24x50 X-MOA
  • Nikon BLACK 1-Piece Cantilever Scope Mount(#16403).  (Cantilever version needed for proper eye offset.?)
  • Harris HBRMS Bipod.
  • A unipod for the rear???  Need to research this more.

And yes, all the above is going to really stress my budget.  However, I plan to buy once, cry once.  :)

I thought about getting a rear monopod for my RPR as well but decided against it after getting a chance to compare it to just using a simple rear bag. The rear bag just seemed like a better option for a number of reasons, including:

- Way less expensive than a quality monopod

- Less weight added to the gun

- Much easier to make minor adjustments in your sight picture just by squeezing or letting go a little on the bag

- Almost infinite adjustability

Based on some advice from Mike over at Tier 1, I bought a small and large wedge shape rear bag from Triad Tactical and they worked great together for setting up the gun on the bench. I used the the large wedge as a rest for the muzzle end and the small bag in the rear.

I like the setup minus the monopod.  I have a sock stuffed with airsoft pellets and it works out to 750 (I've not been able to shoot further).  It was, essentially, free.  

The canti mount isn't my bag but with the rail it may be a necessity.  I've stepped away from chassis systems for several reasons with that being one of them.  

What twist is the RPR?

With a 7 you can shoot 80 grain bullets if/when you start reloading.  Probably 90's although some claim it's too slow of a twist.  

I'm shooting 77TMK out of my 8 twist Tikka and starting to get it dialed in.  I finally got the 6-24 scope on her and she's doing well.  

Check the height on Nikon cantilever mount as well before you buy. For a few buck more, you would probably be better off getting a set of Vortex Precision Matched rings or something similar. The reason that I say this is that I borrowed a friends Vortex HST (50 mm) that's mounted on a American Defense mount to use on my Rem 700 while I shop for a permanent scope solution and there's probably about 0.5" between the bottom of the scope bell and the top of the barrel and it was a pain (and took a lot of fiddling with my cheek riser) to get a proper cheek weld. However, when I moved the scope over to my AR to try it out, the cheek weld was perfect without any adjustment

40 minutes ago, medved11 said:

Check the height on Nikon cantilever mount as well before you buy. For a few buck more, you would probably be better off getting a set of Vortex Precision Matched rings or something similar. The reason that I say this is that I borrowed a friends Vortex HST (50 mm) that's mounted on a American Defense mount to use on my Rem 700 while I shop for a permanent scope solution and there's probably about 0.5" between the bottom of the scope bell and the top of the barrel and it was a pain (and took a lot of fiddling with my cheek riser) to get a proper cheek weld. However, when I moved the scope over to my AR to try it out, the cheek weld was perfect without any adjustment

The RPR has a rail system similar to an AR (I'm sure you know that) and I imagine that's where the issue comes in.  

Personally I'd look at a set of rings as well as I don't see the need for a detachable mount on a precision gun.  Although there are those that put awesome glass in a mount and use it on several different rifles (Cleckner covers it in his book).  Again, not my cup of tea but to each their own.  Lord knows the man can shoot.

I have the Nikon BLACK Series mount on 1 .308 and .223 AR. Works great. It would sit up to high for a bolt rifle, I tried it on a BERGARA I have and it was just a tad to high. It sounds like you have a good grasp on buying quality products and you should see excellent accuracy. I hope pics and range report will follow? 

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/DSC_0962.jpg

I got my replacement shroud in the mail today, so it looks like I'll be able to head to the range this weekend and try out some of the other .223 factory loads in the RPR.

I can't really complain - it only took 11 days to receive the part from Ruger

I also have a 7twist 18" AR that runs the Berger 82gnHPBT's pretty well so far.  I have to play with it.  I have a "sled" in the mag for single round loading.  

I am really starting to appreciate shooting smaller calibers.  They're a lot of fun and challenging for sure.  

Received a call that my RPR is in.  Plan to pick it up tomorrow.

Also just now ordered the Nikon scope(#16423) from Optics Planet.  Free 2-Day Air shipping.

Once I have the rifle and scope, will decide on the scope mount.

And yes, will post pics. Not sure when I will get to the range with it as I have some upcoming business travel.

As promised, attached are several pics of my new RPR in 223/556 and the Nikon 6-24 scope. Ultimately decided to go with the Nikon Black mount which I have on order from MidwayUSA.  (Thank you to those who provided input on mounts, rings, etc.)

It will be at least several weeks before I have an opportunity to take it to the range.  Will post a range report when I do.

In the meantime,  I read the manual, familiarized myself with functioning, bolt removal, etc and did an initial cleaning.  

Next I plan to further familiarize myself with the bolt disassembly/re-assembly process and watch the Techtips videos on the Ruger website.   Overall, I am very pleased with the rifle's quality and features.  

One question for now, any pros/cons on whether one should remove the muzzle brake when cleaning the rifle?

Thanks

p.s. the scope appears visually distorted due to the ultra wide angle of my GoPro.  It's front objective is 50mm (60mm OD).  The eyepiece end is smaller.

I was at Lewistown this past weekend to see what my Tac A1 308 and OBR could do at 1000 yards.  For shits and giggles I took my home brew 5.56 SPR with Noveske 18" barrel.  I've shot it at 200 yards on a regular basis at Fort Dix but never beyond that.  They had 12x12 club steel out to 800Y and a 24" gong at 1000Y.  I started at 300 and was able to walk it out making hits on steel all the way to 700 yards!!!!!!!!!!  I was shooting factory PPU 75gr ammo.  Not even Mk262!!!  I hit 4 or 5 out of 10 at 700Y.  At 800 I could not see the bullet splash so I could not see how bad I was missing and/or correct for it.  At 500 yards they had an IDPA torso size steel target hanging at a 45 degree angle.  Hitting that wasn't even a challenge. I was beyond surprised. 

.223 seems to be pretty damn good making it out that far.  Never thought it would. 

Tikka's t3x "3 shot 1 MOA guarantee". I did not expect it to be a literal statement :)

Put my big scope on and shot with x24, x18, x9 magnification into target 100 meters away. x24 is easy but shakes wildly. x18 is about right but it is still quite easy. At x9 I could not see this target well but still managed to hit 3x10+2xX with some reasonable effort.
My other scope is x3-9, going to use it with this rifle at least till I get access to a longer range.

20170905_221057S.jpg