Mrs. Peel

Article: NYC officer shot to death in command post RV; gunman killed

I didn't see this posted yet! Very sad indeed. An officer - and mother of three - was killed by an ex-con who recently ranted about how cops are killing people. (Though I partly blame a lot of exaggerated activist rhetoric for acts like this, I'm going to try to reel in my outrage --- because this is NOT in the 1A Lounge. I posted in a more general forum so all eyes would see.)

On a practical note --- I guess this is a Monday morning quarterback or Captain Obvious statement --- but I'll say it anyway: should they put bulletproof glass in those mobile RV's? How many "assassinations" does it take for us to acknowledge that cops are now targets more than ever? How can a cop be expected to have eyes everywhere when sitting in an RV in a busy neighborhood (presumably with pedestrians and cars all around), AND he or she is filling out a report too? I'm sure people more knowledgeable about police work will chime in here. But I just feel that this poor cop was shot like a proverbial "fish in a barrel". A sickening thing really.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/nyc-officer-shot-to-death-in-command-post-rv-gunman-killed/ar-BBDMpBP?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1

Realistically, officer safety really isn't a concern. Brass wants to pretend they care after the fact but they dont. Do more with less. Appease criminals and activists to empower this type of behavior. Force cops to work more so they are more tired and less vigilant. Like any commodity we are expendable

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BlueLineFish said:

Realistically, officer safety really isn't a concern. Brass wants to pretend they care after the fact but they dont. Do more with less. Appease criminals and activists to empower this type of behavior. Force cops to work more so they are more tired and less vigilant. Like any commodity we are expendable

So true.

The brass in LE have always been resistant to change or spending money. They're supported by public opinion in many cases.  Just search for the number of posts on this forum where many consider police use of any armored vehicle or adoption of more practical uniforms "militarization" of police.

Adopting better equipment that really doesn't cost anymore meets resistance. Hollow points were pretty much in general use by the mid 70s.  NYPD had to wait until 1998 to be able to use them.  Even when NYPD was allowed to carry semiautomatic about 1990 they were restricted to fmj and 10 Rd magazines.

I got my first set of soft body armor in 1976.  I bought it out of my pocket.  First issued set I got was about 1982.  That was because I worked for a federal agency.  Local police still didn't have it.  Can't recall any recently but in the past 10-15 years I can remember PBAs having benefits to buy the men and women on their department body armor.

Administrators are very slow to react to anything unless it affects them...and the public is for it.

Griz is referring to the Program entitled, "InVEST in a Cop".  They were very popular a few decades ago with the rank & file.  Elks, American Legions, VFW's, Boy Scouts all had fundraisers to buy bullet proof vests for local beat cops.  I participated in more than a few myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

Sad to hear that.

You know what else would have saved her life? If this scumbag was taught a lesson the second time he was incarcerated. When are we going to implement a one term incarceration law. Simple, once you're out, if you end up in there again, you stay for good pending a trial of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

This is a frightening assessment.   I'm very sorry if this is how it is because it certainly shouldn't be.  

My point was proven yesterday when I got back to work. Captain put out a memo not about maintaining vigilance and to be careful above all else but rather stating his displeasure with the increase in response time( they have gone down post coverages the past couple months, won't get cars repaired and don't bring in extra cops when events are going on) and to make sure all events are called over the radio to be entered into CADS and to make sure our memo books are up to date. That's the important shit. 

• Like 2

Personally I am against the militarization of police. Don't care to see cops in body armor with select fire weapons on the street. IMO it leads to the police treating Americans like Iraqi insurgents. I believe the answer is pro-active community policing and enforcement of current laws. No pleading down violent crimes, no early release for violent offenders, no lingering on death row for decades. You kill someone and are convicted of 1st degree murder you swing swiftly in a public square or at least release the video of electrocution. No lethal injection. That is how deterrence works.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1