ChrisS

Help point me towards my first shotgun

Wtf? Ray was admittedly an ass. He apologized to you when called on it by another member here and this is your response? Do you know what the word ‘gracious’ means? :facepalm: 

Not to mention the fact that the advice you gave, that Ray called you out on the first place, was patently false.

so you can goto prison because NJ semi-Castle law says you can only use lethal force in self defense inside the home, and outside you are in illegal possession of a firearm.”

Show me this law or cite an example that shows that this is true.

• Yes, you have a duty to retreat to a place of safety to avoid using force - until you can’t. On your property, both in your home and curtilage, this duty is diminished as you have an expection of safety in your home and on your property. 

• You can not use deadly force to protect property (property as in stuff not property as in land).

• You can not use deadly force on a fleeing subject as if they are fleeing, you and yours are no longer in danger of serious bodily injury or death.

• You can not have created the situation that requires you to use force - example: you can’t jump in front of a moving car and shoot the driver because he was going to run you over.

But if the situation rises to level where deadly force is authorized, it’s on. In your basement, your driveway, your front lawn, your bedroom, your porch, it doesn’t matter. As long as you had no safe avenue of retreat, you were protecting yourself or another from serious bodily injury or death due to the actions of another, and you did not create the situation that requires the use of deadly force in the first place, you are covered.

It won’t be pretty. The aftermath will be horrendous. But you and yours will be alive and your actions will be sustained as justified.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 11:10 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Who?

Haha. I finally picked up my first shotgun. It’s an H&R Topper 12 gauge. Found it in the classifieds here. I’ve also purchased a 10/22 Sporter and a S&W model 36. I’m hoping to take the H&R to the range soon, although I’d love to try shooting clays. I just found out there’s a place in Farmingdale for that. I’ll have to check it out one of these days. Im now trying to figure out where to buy shells from. L&H went out of business and Dicks has a very limited selection. I may have to order online. 

Does anyone have opinions on the Fiocchi LE buckshot? I’ve been reading the recoil isn’t bad. I realize having a single shot puts all the force directly on me, but I’m looking to start off as easy as possible. The range only allows buck and slugs. I’ve been trying to hunt down minishells but that seems impossible right now. I found Minishell slugs at Howell Gun, but would rather have buckshot. I also can’t find Winchester low recoil/low noise. They were recommended to me by a guy at work. If anyone has any tips on scoring shells or how to get into shooting clays, I’m all ears. 

Thank you all for your input on getting my shotgun. I was close to grabbing the Stoeger Coach in 12, but when I looked at it in person, it seemed to be lacking in quality. 

2 hours ago, ChrisS said:

I’d love to try shooting clays. I just found out there’s a place in Farmingdale for that. I’ll have to check it out one of these days. Im now trying to figure out where to buy shells from.

Howell Trap Club/Salomon's has what u need.  Gene has limited shop hours though.  I go there at least three times a month to buy supplies and to shoot trap.  For a small shop, his prices are very good.  I recommend you go there tomorrow between 12 and 1 and watch them shoot a couple rounds of trap to see how it's done, then after 1, walk over to Gene's shop and pick up some target loads.

Those mini shells are expensive and geared more towards pump action.  You can certainly use them in your single shot, it just won't be very economical.

6 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Howell Trap Club/Salomon's has what u need.  Gene has limited shop hours though.  I go there at least three times a month to buy supplies and to shoot trap.  For a small shop, his prices are very good.  I recommend you go there tomorrow between 12 and 1 and watch them shoot a couple rounds of trap to see how it's done, then after 1, walk over to Gene's shop and pick up some target loads.

Those mini shells are expensive and geared more towards pump action.  You can certainly use them in your single shot, it just won't be very economical.

Thanks for the info! I work overnights and messed up your reference of “tomorrow”. I swung by there today. Power lines are down on the road and he has no electric at the house, but I got to talk to him for a while. Great guy. I won’t be able to get there tomorrow, but may try Tuesday. 

The mini shells are for my wife to use initially. I’ll be on the hunt for buckshot to use at GSSC and target loads for Howell. 

Thanks for for the info. I really appreciate it.