antimatter

Got the call, Permits are in

I got my "call" today too. (They left  message)

Problem is:

I'm on vacation for the next 3 weeks, and after that I am donating bone marrow to my Dad is South Carolina .... probably won't be home until the end of August/beginning of September....

called the town back to ask about my situation and no one picked up....

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

Just hung up with Trenton. It was signed on 6/20 and awaiting for Kingswood barracks to pick up their mail. Bullshit huh?

Yeah, this Pony Express delivery system is crap! I'm surprised that no one has complained about this: by the time you pick up your permit from the NJSP, it's not REALLY usable for the full 90 days as prescribed by law... at least in my case, when I picked it up, it was already 2 weeks AFTER the approval date. Why? According to the guy I spoke with in Trenton, there are several delay points:

• It might take several days to make it out of the Trenton mail processing center, then it gets sent to the various Troop HQs (Troop A, B, etc.) 
  • There may possibly be a delay at the Troop HQ, as they sort it for the individual barracks.
  • Either way, it sits again waiting for folks from the individual NJSP barracks to go pick up their mail. So, my barracks - Perryville - sends a trooper 2x weekly to pick up the mail. (7 days in a week, my friends - so that's at least another 2-3 days wasted). And other barracks may pick up their mail even less frequently - it depends on the barracks.

What a totally antiquated, screwed up system. And as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even sound legal. The date it's approved should be the date you're called to pick it up --- otherwise, your permit does meet the full 90 days, does it? My permit was dated 2 weeks PRIOR to me getting the call. So, as far as I'm concerned, I got a 2.5 month permit, not a 90 day permit I was promised. I suspect the same thing will happen to you --- but worse, you will end up with a 60-day permit, because perhaps Kingswood picks up their mail even less frequently. That's how I see it.

I emailed the individual at the barracks responsible (she a civilian).  I explained what I had learned from Trenton and explained I would be willing to pick up their mail if they couldn't.  Not sure what points I earned there but I couldn't resist the sarcasm.  I've started steps toward correcting this for myself.  Since we don't really know who's reading these forums I can't go into it now. Hopefully you can read between the lines.  Wish me luck.

7 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, this Pony Express delivery system is crap! I'm surprised that no one has complained about this: by the time you pick up your permit from the NJSP, it's not REALLY usable for the full 90 days as prescribed by law... at least in my case, when I picked it up, it was already 2 weeks AFTER the approval date. Why? According to the guy I spoke with in Trenton, there are several delay points:

• It might take several days to make it out of the Trenton mail processing center, then it gets sent to the various Troop HQs (Troop A, B, etc.) 
  • There may possibly be a delay at the Troop HQ, as they sort it for the individual barracks.
  • Either way, it sits again waiting for folks from the individual NJSP barracks to go pick up their mail. So, my barracks - Perryville - sends a trooper 2x weekly to pick up the mail. (7 days in a week, my friends - so that's at least another 2-3 days wasted). And other barracks may pick up their mail even less frequently - it depends on the barracks.

What a totally antiquated, screwed up system. And as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even sound legal. The date it's approved should be the date you're called to pick it up --- otherwise, your permit does meet the full 90 days, does it? My permit was dated 2 weeks PRIOR to me getting the call. So, as far as I'm concerned, I got a 2.5 month permit, not a 90 day permit I was promised. I suspect the same thing will happen to you --- but worse, you will end up with a 60-day permit, because perhaps Kingswood picks up their mail even less frequently. That's how I see it.

I'd like to point out that on the NJSP web site it says we can go to the nearest barracks.  I did this for my FID and the barracks I picked were friendly,respectful and delivered inside of 6 weeks.  Now no one will take you except the barracks that serves your area regardless of what the site says.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Gunnz said:

I got my "call" today too. (They left  message)

Problem is:

I'm on vacation for the next 3 weeks, and after that I am donating bone marrow to my Dad is South Carolina .... probably won't be home until the end of August/beginning of September....

called the town back to ask about my situation and no one picked up....

I hope your dad does well after the transplant.  You can extend your permits an additional 90 days. In my town the young lady that handles permits does the extensions while you wait.  When you pick up ask how they handle the extensions.  

I called back and the lady said I can pick them up whenever I come back. They will dated for when I pick them up.

old bridge does grant 90 day extensions but do take a week or so to them. Last time I had to write a statement as they why I wanted them extended and she took them up to the chief.  Got them back in 5 days via mail.

On 7/13/2017 at 0:13 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Mrs. Peel-

That happens all the time with the State Police. Mine were dated ten days prior to the time they contacted me for pick up. It was explained to me, the same to you, that the permits get dated in Trenton, then sent by Pony Express to the barracks. It is a terrible and antiquated system - just what the government wants. They want people to be aggravated and discouraged from applying. Quite frankly that works. I hate having to apply. It takes me three to four months to get permits from the Bordentown SP barracks. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, Zeke said:

My," understanding " it's the mental health that comes from the state...

Mine was that the mental health check comes from each county (i.e. "county adjuster" office). That is,the LEA has to send it to the county adjuster's office in the applicant's county of residence for a response. In fact, it even says so on the sp-066 form.  Now, maybe if it's an NJSP barracks doing it, there is extra added bureaucracy in re: Trenton.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:46 AM, BobA said:

Just hung up with Trenton. It was signed on 6/20 and awaiting for Kingswood barracks to pick up their mail. Bullshit huh?

Absolute Bullshit.

Let me guess, they pick up their mail once every 91 days.

I was told that a trooper from each barracks is assigned to mail duty twice a week to deliver and pick up mail in Trenton.

I wonder if something changed.   Bridgeton barracks used to turn around permits in about 5 weeks while everybody else was waiting 3 months.  I figured that the Trooper assigned to permits was on top of his work and not letting things sit on his desk.  I now have a set that I've been waiting on for 3 months and 2 days. Same Trooper at the local barracks.   I'll call tomorrow.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can't get into the details but definitely call.  Be polite and not demanding and make like you're only looking for an update - not results.  i found them more than a little helpful, polite, respectful and informative.  The person I spoke with was more than a little helpful with info and advice.  Good Luck.

Oh, BTY his advice worked and I got my permits yesterday after calling last Thursday.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BobA said:

Unfortunately I can't get into the details but definitely call.  Be polite and not demanding and make like you're only looking for an update - not results.  i found them more than a little helpful, polite, respectful and informative.  The person I spoke with was more than a little helpful with info and advice.  Good Luck.

Oh, BTY his advice worked and I got my permits yesterday after calling last Thursday.   

So the "squeaky wheel gets the most grease" plan of action from the SP? 

• Like 2

I must be a little slow on the uptake that it took me so long to figure this out, but... don't you think the NJSP are assuming a Democratic governor, like so many others on here? If that's so, they're probably NOT DOING A DAMN THING to improve the permitting process, because they think Christie's directive urging them to meet their 30-day processing requirement will soon get tossed right out the window. I just can't imagine it's on their priority list.

And if Murphy does get in... I'm further guessing that 3 mos would soon be considered LIGHTNING-FAST for a permit. Who knows what additional fees, restrictions and other blockages might be added to the process by this nimrod?

This leaves me with 3 thoughts:

1) everyone should fight Murphy in any way possible --- if you have time to spare, give it, and if you have no time but a few extra bucks, donate it 

2) if he gets in despite best efforts, the only solution is the courts.. and that will take years

3) if there's 1 special firearm you really have your eye on, and have the money to get it, you should probably just buy it before November. It seems that prices have flattened or even dropped on some guns, so it's not like you'd be buying during a period of inflated prices. 

Anyone disagree? Because that's kind of my own plan and timeline right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I must be a little slow on the uptake that it took me so long to figure this out, but... don't you think the NJSP are assuming a Democratic governor, like so many others on here? If that's so, they're probably NOT DOING A DAMN THING to improve the permitting process, because they think Christie's directive urging them to meet their 30-day processing requirement will soon get tossed right out the window. I just can't imagine it's on their priority list.

And if Murphy does get in... I'm further guessing that 3 mos would soon be considered LIGHTNING-FAST for a permit. Who knows what additional fees, restrictions and other blockages might be added to the process by this nimrod?

This leaves me with 3 thoughts:

1) everyone should fight Murphy in any way possible --- if you have time to spare, give it, and if you have no time but a few extra bucks, donate it 

2) if he gets in despite best efforts, the only solution is the courts.. and that will take years

3) if there's 1 special firearm you really have your eye on, and have the money to get it, you should probably just buy it before November. It seems that prices have flattened or even dropped on some guns, so it's not like you'd be buying during a period of inflated prices. 

Anyone disagree? Because that's kind of my own plan and timeline right now.

PEEL PLAN #4:

Everybody run to Pennsy & buy a Cap & Ball revolver & supplies with cash on the barrel head!  Then contact me to arrange a class in how to properly play with explosives :) 

• Like 1

Just called the local barracks.  Trooper who handles firearms permits is not in today.  So I called Trenton at the number given earlier.

609 822 2000 and followed the menu options: options were: firearms info/handgun permit info/  Make sure to listen to the recorded message until the end then you get to talk to someone.

A very helpful lady answered the phone, asked for my SBI number and pulled up my record in seconds.  She said my permits were approved on the 18th and I should be hearing from my local barracks soon.

Seems strange that everyone who has called Tenton was told that their permits were just issued a few days earlier.  Unusual coincidence.

But that means it was 3 months and 1 day for Trenton to approve permits.  Of course, I don't have them in hand yet.

If you're wondering about the status:  call the number I put in bold above.

• Like 2

So I called Trenton on Monday the 10th. Was told my P2Ps were approved and just had to be typed up. I was told they would be typed up the following day and then off to the barracks. Was told the barracks would call that week. Having heard nothing, I waited until Wednesday this week and called the barracks. They still said they were waiting on Trenton. So, I called Trenton again and got the same woman (Debbie) and she told me that my permits were finished when she said they would be and had in fact been at the barracks since Thursday. I told her the barracks said they were still waiting. She said she would call me back. 30 minutes later I get a call from the barracks and they tell me "good news, your permits came in today". Lmao

So I drive out to get them and the permits are there, but my one gun a month waver is not. I asked about that and they said I had to call Trenton about that. Here we go again. So I walk out and in the parking lot I call Trenton. I get a nice gentleman named Lt. Ross and he says my 1GM waiver was approved back in March and that it has been at the barracks since then. I explain to him how the barracks keeps blaming Trenton and you could hear him getting angry, not with me but with the barracks. He said he will get to the bottom of it and call me tomorrow. Tomorrow was yesterday, so today I called him again. He apologized and said he was waiting for them to give him their official excuse. He said they had until the end of today to explain themselves or Monday he would be showing up at the Barracks. He asked that I give him until Monday night to hear back from him. He also said he will be mailing the copy of my 1GM waiver directly to me if the barracks can't find it. So, I wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrenf said:

So I walk out and in the parking lot I call Trenton. I get a nice gentleman named Lt. Ross and he says my 1GM waiver was approved back in March and that it has been at the barracks since then. I explain to him how the barracks keeps blaming Trenton and you could hear him getting angry, not with me but with the barracks. He said he will get to the bottom of it and call me tomorrow. Tomorrow was yesterday, so today I called him again. He apologized and said he was waiting for them to give him their official excuse. He said they had until the end of today to explain themselves or Monday he would be showing up at the Barracks. He asked that I give him until Monday night to hear back from him. He also said he will be mailing the copy of my 1GM waiver directly to me if the barracks can't find it. So, I wait.

Your post reminded me... that's the same guy that I dealt with in Trenton a few months back. He was very helpful, very informative... and nice guy who seems to be professional and well-intentioned. Sorry for your run around... but at least you may have a good ally now. Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

Sounds like a bunch of us ought to take the Lt. out for some beer & pizza at the very least.  I like hearing about 3%ers getting shit DONE!  Bravo Lt. Ross & thank you!

Funny, I was thinking, "I should find out who his boss is and send a nice note." He really was nice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Funny, I was thinking, "I should find out who his boss is and send a nice note." He really was nice.

This is the best thing you can do for a Cop that you feels deserves recognition.

It goes in their file and helps with everything from promotions to special assignments.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

This is the best thing you can do for a Cop that you feels deserves recognition.

It goes in their file and helps with everything from promotions to special assignments.

Ah, I did not know that! I will add that to my weekend "to do" list.

He seemed to give a damn, spent time explaining the process, told me when to follow up with him (gave me his ext) in case I didn't have them by the date promised... really was thorough. Sounded like a guy trying to do his best despite the epically broken process he deals with. 

• Like 1

I did just that.  It's next to impossible to get individual email addresses however so I sent it to a general address to the Superintendent I found on the main site.  I can only assume it'll work its way down to the proper people.

I want to add that of all that was shown to me it was clear that the reason for my delay was that the barracks I'm forced to work with did not pick up their mail for several weeks.  I had politicians and the Attorney General in on this.  It was when I re-called the Sargent in Trenton that helped me and told him that The Barracks said he was wrong and picked up their mail nightly that he got pissed enough to call them and got it straight for me. I then got it 4 days later.  I'm convinced that no political pressure can motivate any of these people as they are too insulated from consequences to care.  In my case they manged to anger one of their own and in this case one with juice.  I can only imagine what will happen for my next go around after embarrassing and angering the people I did.  We'll see....

For all of the time and expense involved, and in this I includes time lost from work, I think this process should be removed from the individual barrack's hands and be done at a separate station of some sort set up for just this.  NJ is a large state in population but not in square miles.  One could be almost anywhere in circa 90 minutes.  I would be willing to travel to a point where this could be arraigned just to knock it out.  After all we do it for finger prints.  Just a thought.....    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobA said:

For all of the time and expense involved, and in this I includes time lost from work, I think this process should be removed from the individual barrack's hands and be done at a separate station of some sort set up for just this.  NJ is a large state in population but not in square miles.  One could be almost anywhere in circa 90 minutes.  I would be willing to travel to a point where this could be arraigned just to knock it out.  After all we do it for finger prints.  Just a thought.....    

Let's give it to the same team that will be charged with getting all the transgender bathrooms set up and enforce compliance with same. I'm sure they won't take three months to get around to setting it up, or enforcing compliance.

• Like 1